Start by marking “The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans” as Want to Read:
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans (The Xenophobe's Guide)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Highlights the unique character and behavior of the nation. Frank, irreverent, funny--almost guaranteed to cure Xenophobia.
Published November 1st 1999 by Oval Books (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans

Muphyn
Quite a hilarious read... yes, it sterotypes Germany and Germans but so what, there's a lot of truth and realism in it, and I think the authors really hit a nerve here and there. Made me laugh out loud quite a few times, here are some tidbits:

About obsesssions... "The Germans love their cars more than almost anything. While the Italians reserve this kind of adoration for their children, Germans prefer to keep their children indoors, so the cars can play safely in the streets." (p.40)

About cultur...more
Deeva Satanica
For being a German it is really funny and also weird to read that book. And I gotta say, that I definitely seen myself in some of the written facts. :)
Gabriele
Everything I wanted to know about myself. Too funny and contains a lot of truth
Tripleguess
This is an interesting book, and at first it was really funny. I would read and laugh, then read and laugh some more. (For the record, Germany is where the majority of my genes and a good part of my subculture originated.)

Somewhere towards the end of the book, though, it sank in that most of the humor was sour. Yeah, the things it said were funny, but they were also caustic and biting. Weak points are attacked with glee. Where good things had to be said about the culture, the book does it grudgi...more
Aerielle
Pretty spot on, though its unsettling that it really highlights the Germans as pretentious jerks. Which certainly can be the case, but on the whole my interactions with them have been more pleasant than this book would suggest. Then again, I am an optimist and am knowingly choosing not to dwell on the negative. We all have our negative attributes.
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews

As a Brit living in Germany for more than twenty years can only say that behind the satire in this book there are so many truths. Yes, it really is funny if you know Germany and the Germans, only then do I think you can really appreciate the satirical truth in this book. Loved it and had me laughing on the train on the way to work for a couple of mornings.
Natacha
I laughed so much, agreed with all that is mentioned and appreciated the explanations on why it is like it is. Just wish germans (in general) would be able to laugh at themselves because it makes life healthier, like the story with an apple a day (like this am I convincing any german?).

PS: Obviously Love Germany and its inhabitants :-)
Emma Kerekes
Hilarious, though a bit offensive, as all are in this series. I am definitely hooked on all The Xenophobe's Guide books.
This one, in particular, brought interesting insight into the German character. However, I have read funnier books in the series.
Jan Stojaspal
Enjoyed it, though struggled to separate fact from fiction. As my knowledge of the Germans is not so keen, I am afraid I came away with some of my stereotypes reinforced rather than challenged. Still enjoyed the read.
Marzena
Slightly boring, slightly melancholic, this one wasn't as amusing or entertaining as other books of the series I read.
Mikko Ihalainen
Read this before you visit Germany, althought Berlin is very very different from other parts of Germany.
Lysergius
Not many insights here, mostly prejudice and ridicule.
Candice
This book is very funny and surprisingly accurate.
Aneta
Oct 09, 2008 Aneta is currently reading it
Very truthful and lots of fun!
Meghan
Apr 18, 2007 Meghan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who knows a German
Shelves: german, intercultural
hahahahaha
Silvia Tavares
Silvia Tavares marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
revon
revon marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ermin
Ermin marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Elisa Vlad
Elisa Vlad marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014