Start by marking “The Book of Rhythms” as Want to Read:
The Book of Rhythms

The Book of Rhythms

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this beautifully designed book, Langston Hughes shares an appreciation of the rhythms of life--from visual patterns that catch the eye to
Published December 21st 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Rhythms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Rhythms

Caitlin Schwatka
Very well written book! I have read many poems by Langston Hughes, and while I have enjoyed them all, this book was definitely a favorite when it comes to his work. We read in this book that rhythm is everywhere, all around us. It paints images in our heads that everything we pass has inner rhythm, almost like it is alive. This was an easy, enjoyable read, and the way Hughes used personification, metaphors and alliteration gave it an upbeat feel. While this book is not exactly written as a story ...more
Danielle
The Book of Rhythms is about where you can find rhythm in everday life and how it can be used. There aren't really any poems in it except for the section of the book that is about using rhythm with words, which forms poems. There are sections of the book that describe how to make rhythm, how rhythm varies, and the beginnings of rhythm.

Sounds: In the section of Rhythm and Words, there are poems that have rhyming words in them. These rhythms are consistent and allow children to see a pattern in t
Casey Lindstrom
This book was about all the different rhythms of the world. It showed how there are rhythms everywhere and there are ones that we do not even notice. It put the many ways of things into a perspective that most people do not recognize.

The words in this book do not rhyme. Langston Hughes matches the words for the emotions and feelings of the book. The illustrations in this book matched the words that were wrote. It also gave mental images while reading. This book expanded the awareness of the read
Erin Dixon
SUMMARY: The Book of Rhythms by Langston Hughes is about all of the information you need to create a rhythm. It shows how to make one, talks about all of the different patterns, and tells where you can find rhythms in your everyday life.
CRITIQUE: There was no rhyme in this book until the sections "Rhythms of Music" and "Rhythm and Words", and those sections were using poems and songs by authors other than Langston Hughes as the examples.
There were certain images that were easy to see based on L
Brooke
The Book of Rhythms by Langston Hughes is about what is used in order to make a rhythm. It also about finding rhythm in your day to day life. The Book of Rhythms has no rhyme for the most part, until the "Rhythm of Music" and Rhythm of words" section. Hughes uses other authors' works as examples for these sections. Hughes' imagery is presented clearly and simply, using techniques such as drawing a squiggly line to explain the patterns in the rhythm. Hughes' words made me consider things to be r ...more
Beth
As much as I love Langston Hughes, I just didn't "get" this book. It felt like he was just writing a really long-winded version of the statement "Rhythm is all around us," he was just finding hundreds of different ways to say it.

Then again, I'm very much someone who feels my way through things like music and rhythm so I don't want to analyze it to death.

My main motivation for reading this book is that Blue Balliett mentioned at NCTE 2012 in Las vegas it's part of her inspiration for her newest
Ellen Ramsey
An amazing book about rhythms of all sorts--not just the rhythms of music and dance, but the rhythms of words, of art, and of nature.

"Rhythm is something we share in common, you and I, with all the plants and animals and people in the world, and with the stars and moon and sun, and all the whole vast wonderful universe beyond this wonderful earth which is our home."
Ilia Vakili
کتاب مال بچه‌ها بود و به همین دلیل هم خیلی ابتدایی بود که به خودی خود عیبی نداره. ولی خیلی کشش داده بود.
Frank
Frank added it
Jan 04, 2015
Ian Keith
Ian Keith marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Ondrej Merta
Ondrej Merta marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Eric Riser
Eric Riser marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Bbernard bernard
Bbernard bernard marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2011
Michael Strode
Michael Strode marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2011
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."
More about Langston Hughes...
The Collected Poems Selected Poems The Ways of White Folks Not Without Laughter The Best of Simple