The World That Trade Created: Society, Culture, and the World Economy, 1400 to the Present (Sources and Studies in World History)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Uses brief case studies connected to seven central topics to discuss the history and creation of the world economy.
Published October 31st 2005 by M.E. Sharpe (first published December 1st 1999)

Gavin
If you love economics and hate long-winded books with irrelevant graphs, this is the book for you. It's call-of-nature length sections are quick and easy to digest while imparting important tidbits about the history of trade. Moreover, the book does an excellent job of illuminating the impact of commodities on world trade and a countries development. It is historically accurate, well written, and entertaining.

One caveat: If you have a low tolerance for the constant reiteration of the fact that...more
Emily Logue
This book was literally the bane of my existence in high school. The message is undoubtedly important, but its delivery is dry and unappealing. The book is filled with long winded stories that lead to a point that could have just as easily been expressed in a few short sentences. This book as taught me that as important as your message may be, you still have to make in sound interesting to get your audiences’ attention.
Cory
I love this book because it's all essays. You can pick it up and read one section at a time to get a mini history lesson.
Adam
Very dense book, but fascinating. Wish it went into more detail on a lot of the topics.
Colin Macdonald
Really interesting, but kinda hard to digest. It's a collection of short essays, grouped loosely by topic. Each one is quick overview of a topic, so the whole is very high-density. It covers many aspects of global trade and events over a 500-year span, and without a strong organizing structure it's hard to fit it all together. Lots of good insights, anecdotes, and historical tidbits. Definitely a good starting point if you're browsing for topics to explore in depth. I'll probably keep coming bac...more
Two-fisted History
Jan 01, 2014 Two-fisted History rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Two-fisted by: Professor
The best thing I can say about this book was that there were some interesting stories about the development of trade the use of goods we still use today.

In the end the author's rampant revisionist tendencies and blatant anti-Western bias proved too much for me and left a decidedly sour taste. I feel that this is the least accurate historical 'non-fiction' book that I have read. It was the first book I ever wrote in, and it was solely to express my distaste with the author.
Georgene
This book covers the events that lead to the discovery of the Americas and the impact this had on the economies of the entire world. A sweeping statement, but accurate. I had no idea of what events lead Europeans to sail off into unknown seas in the hopes of reaching the Far East.

Based on a multitude of magazine articles, this book explores the events preceding the discovery of the New World and how that impacted and changed how the world was.

Very interesting read.
Kevin Lawrence
This is the type of book that I wish would just keep going and going -- I wish Pomeranz and Topik had a blog and could sustain looking at commodities and their relationship to social/political/cultural history. These little essays make history and economics enjoyable for the common reader without sacrificing any historiographical rigor. A book I'm always pushing on people, especially social studies teacher friends!
Grace
Honestly, a pretty good way to frame the study of world history through trade. I especially liked the chapter on drug commodities.
Sovatha
Very insightful book to read on how the global trade has affected the world as it is today. By insightful, I mean how some small trivial phenomena happening somewhere in the world that you had never heard of could change something that forever affects how things work at the global scale. If you want to read about economics but don't like number, this is a good book for you.
T.J.
A bit dry and slightly academic, this will have enough information for the new grad student or the occasional history buff. The telling of world history on an economic level without sticking straight to orderly chronology may be distressing for some, but it's a pretty decent, strong analysis.

A bit soporific in the middle, but otherwise a great read on world history.
Brendan Sweeney
The book had some interesting historical stories involving the development of trade and common goods we still use today (the history of coffee and chocolate was fascinating). Overall, however, the author's rabid revisionism towards history and blatant anti-Western bias made the work difficult to muddle through.
Zachary Moore
Intersting histroy of trade told in easy to digest vignettes. Isn't as deep as it might be and some of the vignettes are too short to give you much besides a word picture, but still an informative read if you are interested in the formation of the modern world economy.
David R.
Quite possibly the worst book I read in the last five years. The author is plainly bitter about the way our economic history turned out and manufactures one venomous screed after another. I didn't even bother with the last 25% of the book.
Penny Jenkins
this book was said to be hard to understand by my 15 year old and along with some of her friends. They now need to write a review on the book about the society, culture and the economy. Can we get some help for you out there? Please
Larspeart
Perhaps my favorite book of Economic history, delightfully given to me by a former colleague. Told in a series of short essays, this book wonderfully explains human nature through the lens of, well- humans.
Ruth
I had to read this book for my AP World class and I found it to be really interesting. It is obviously informative, but it's not horribly long and dry like some other historical books are.
Jessy
Awfully dry and dull but I guess I did learn a bit from it. Maybe I would have liked it more had it been voluntary reading and not required to squeeze out an essay from .__.
Shannon
a good book discussing how the trades of beer, coffee, chocolate, tobacco, and other such things created the world we live in today
Jessica
YES OMG I'M DONE. A few pages of this book was really good and interesting. The rest was just bleh. Wanted to vomit while reading this.
Renee Blackmon
Pick a commodity from chocolate to cocaine. Nicely organized for reading what interests the reader most.
Roberto Penas
Collection of informative snippets no more than 1-2 pages each. How to make economics enjoyable!
Josh Brett
The Uncle John's Big Bathroom Reader of post-colonialist global economic history.
Maheja
I don't know why but I really loved this book.
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Micaela Diedericks
Micaela Diedericks marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Wendy Butler
Wendy Butler is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
summaries 1 57 Aug 29, 2009 01:08PM
  • A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World from Prehistory to Today
  • The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • Victorian America: Transformations in Everyday Life, 1876-1915
  • Before European Hegemony: The World System A.D. 1250-1350
  • Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power
  • The American Future: A History
  • Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • Communities of Violence: Persecution of Minorities in the Middle Ages
  • Feudal Society, Volume 1
  • Identity Economics: How Our Identities Shape Our Work, Wages, and Well-Being
  • New Worlds, Lost Worlds: The Rule of the Tudors, 1485-1603
  • Subversives: The FBI's War on Student Radicals, and Reagan's Rise to Power
  • The Incorporation of America: Culture and Society in the Gilded Age
  • Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History)
  • Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations
  • The Perspective of the World
  • Coercion, Capital and European States: Ad 990 - 1992
The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy The Making of a Hinterland: State, Society, and Economy in Inland North China, 1853-1937 Studyguide for The World That Trade Created: 1400 to the Present The Environment and World History