Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  66 reviews
"[A] solid how-to book...For amateur dream researchers, this is a must."
WHOLE EARTH REVIEW
This book goes far beyond the confines of pop dream psychology, establishing a scientifically researched framework for using lucid dreaming--that is, consciously influencing the outcome of your dreams. Based on Dr. Stephen LaBerge's extensive laboratory work at Stanford University map...more
Published November 13th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

Jay Reynolds

Full of practical, evidence-based advice on the practice of lucid dreaming from Stephen LaBerge of Standford University.

With the aid of the information presented in 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming', I became a proficient lucid dreamer, easily realizing more than 30 successful attempts following a couple weeks of practice. As I became better at lucid dreaming, I was able to slip directly from a hypnogogic state into a lucid dream, all the while maintaining awareness. I realize I may be unu...more
Roy Huff
This has to be one of my favorite books. Everyone needs to buy and read this book. If you are not familiar with the concept of lucid dreams, this will answer all your questions. This is based on scientific research and not a lot of the hokey new age concepts you find in other lucid dreaming books. This is also NOT about dream interpretation but rather a simple, easy, and clear strategy to control your dreams. The "MILD" and "WILD" techniques can get you started the first day. This influenced me...more
Amany Garra
Amazing!~omg how can i not recommending this book
The same thing happens when you realize that ordinary life is a dream, just a movie, just a play. You don't become more cautious, more timid, more reserved. You start jumping up and down and doing flips, precisely because it's all a dream, it's all pure Emptiness. You don't feel less, you feel more - because you can afford to. You are no longer afraid of dying, and therefore you are not afraid of living. You become radical and wild, intense and vi...more
Mitch S
Very good book! Not enough people know about the tremendous benefits that can come with lucid dreaming. This book effectivley taught me how to control my dreams and act out any scenario I like. Its the natural form of virtual reality and its only limited to your imagination.
Carl
Professor Stephen Laberge (lucidity.com), the pioneer in this field, who has his own 'Dream Laboratory' @ Stanford University writes about proving (why doesn't "proving" have 2 "O"'s in it?) that Lucid Dreams Occur, that we can become conscious in our dreams, along with techniques on how to master this art.
Beyond words....
We have them when we're kids until our teachers and peers tell us that all those things we believed in are fairy tales. Hardly a wonder why the average pinnacle for intuition d...more
Mike B
This book put me on a pretty open-minded path some years ago and I'm glad I read it, as it's made me a more creative and confident person. However, it did only a little for me as far as lucid dreaming goes. It turns out lucid dreaming is a serious commitment that requires a LOT of sleep (8-10 hrs a night at first). It's ironic that this book promises to enrich your life but demands you spend that much of it asleep!
Ian
Terrible. Not to mention if you have the audiobook version you'll hear one of the most irritating books of your life. It sounds like he's chewing on food and slurping something 100% of the time. This didn't influence how bad the book was, and that's what the rating is for. This is the last time I try and learn about something to do with dreaming because it's now clear it's a bunch of bullshit.
Dean Tsang
Stephen LaBerge introduces and explains lucid dreaming nicely, taking a simplistic approach in explaining the techniques and benefits of conscious sleep. This book explained everything I could have asked for, and have no qualms with it. I definitely recommend this for anyone who has thought of taking up lucid dreaming.
Ben Nesvig
Fascinating topic and book. It took me a year to get half way through another book on the topic. I read this in a week. While I haven't had a lucid dream yet, dream recall has picked up.
Mia Goros
Andrew Frueh
This is the most authoritative book on the subject of lucid dreaming that I have encountered. Although to be honest, it doesn't have a whole lot of competition. As the author concedes, the scientific study of dreams is a fairly new phenomenon. Perhaps as a result, this book is more of an overview of every possible aspect of dream study one could imagine. However the downside to this is that many of the topics covered feel like incomplete thoughts.

The book has a bit of a "self-help" vibe to it,...more
Leon M
Ok, it took me quite long until I could write an objective review of this book, because I first needed to try out the techniques mentioned.

"Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" is the standard introductory work for all lucid dreamers and it is easy to see why that is after reading it: Written in a simple but elegant style, LaBerge mixes accounts of lucid dreamers with his scientific evidence for the phenomena and destillates the numerous techniques that promise to make people lucid into two si...more
Tommy
This is a very interesting book and a great reference for anyone interested in dreaming and lucid dreaming. I consider it a combination of a how to and a why to. The major skills I think someone could takeaway from this are:
1. How to relax and/or clear your mind
2. How to recall your dreams
3. How to lucid dream
4. How to potentially resolve problems in your dreams

In terms of 'why to's of this book I think Laberge makes some interesting arguments about the benefit of lucid dreaming and I think it's...more
SJ
I'll admit, I already sort of know how to lucid dream. It's an incredible experience. I'm reading this based on recommendations that I've read all over the web that Dr. LaBerge's method is best for learning how to lucid dream at will. I'm taking this book in steps as is recommended by Dr. LaBerge. At this time, I'm recording my dreams for later review of dream signs. So, I'm still early into it.

Update: Finished this after working through it for about four months. Highly instructive but some of...more
Giles
The first book I read on lucid dreams and to this day remains one of the very best. Unlike so many other books on lucid dreaming, LaBerge is an expert. He's spent his life researching lucid dreaming and knows what he is talking about. This book is a little old now but it still eclipses almost all other modern books, because it's written by someone who actually studies dreams as a profession.

A must read.
Anton Klink
Although I read the book a few years ago, I still remember the principles of lucid dreaming, how to induce them, how to stay in them and how to teach others to have lucid dreams as well. Needless to say, after having read this book, my frequency of getting lucid dreams increased considerably. Since the book helped me achieve exactly what I wanted to and I still remembver the advice years laters, I consider this an exceptionally good subject on the book and highly recommended to all who are inter...more
Andrew
An excellent introduction and guide to lucid dreaming. The author seemed very friendly toward the theist and atheist, mystical and logical, and the in between. There were a few times where the book dragged and it took me longer to finish this one than another of similar length, but I quickly welcomed this as it kept the concept of lucid dreaming in the back of my mind with this staying on my "currently reading" list, thus aiding me in an inadvertent way to inducing lucidity.
Lauri
Some of the lucid dream inducing methods (not involving drugs, but appropriate mental conditioning/exercises) worked for me and resulted in some of the most amazing lucid dreams I've experienced so far; dreams being extremely colorful/vivid and me having almost total control over my actions and partial control over the dream environment during the dreams. Very interesting experiences, albeit I haven't been able to reproduce them reliably later.
Ryan
If you are self-disciplined enough to follow the very specific steps to lucid dreaming in LaBerge's book, you will experience the transcendent and life-changing states of lucidity. It's worth the effort. The research on the subjective is extensive, and Eastern spiritual traditions are presented alongside the very Western scientific approach. For someone obsessed with dreams and the dream state, this is a must-read.
Keoni
Aug 07, 2012 Keoni is currently reading it
"We sleep, mindlessly, through many thousands of opportunities to be fully aware and alive."

If we can solve real world problems while still getting our night's rest, that'd really improve efficiency! I'm not sure this is possible, but I'm giving it a shot!

I've had two lucid dreams since reading this book!

This is definitely a good psychological exercise, and it puts the "first person" back into science!
John
Jan 15, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who dream
This is my second delve into this topic and it's an amazing how to. If you have vivid dreams and would like to actively participate in them I highly recommend this book. Jump without fear, walk through walls and control your own dreamworld, how much fun is that?! I highly recommend it if you have nightmares as well, it will help you get those particular demons under control. I promise.
Jordon
Apr 05, 2010 Jordon added it
I haven't read any other books on the subject to compare, so I'll withhold from rating for now. LaBerge makes sure to distinguish what's been proven in a lab from what hasn't, yet there's still an uncomfortable presence of potential pseudoscience in this book. Nonetheless, as a how-to, it has worked reasonably well for me.
Lance
While the book Lucid Dreaming would be the lecture or theory, this book would be the lab, or practical application. Goes through different methods to induce the lucid dream state. Not all need to be used, but they are listed so that the readers can find the one best suited to them.
Luke
Great introduction to lucid dreaming from the bloke who was first able to bring the practice to scientific acceptance. Covers not only how to lucid dream, but some good expansion on a few things you can use lucid dreaming for and how to deal with common pitfalls etc. Covers a lot of great knowledge in a relatively short book.
Anne
Kannte ich bisher noch nicht, klingt aber unheimlich spannend. Auch eher ein "Arbeits"buch als etwas zum schnell mal durchlesen, da es immer mit Hausaufgaben verbunden ist (wenn man wirklich interessiert ist). Zumindest kann ich mich seit wenigen Wochen daran erinnern, was ich geträumt habe ... das erste Mal seit 5 Jahren.
Marius
Those who are ready don't have to read this book or do the overcomplicated exercises, and the ones who fear themselves will never allow a lucid dream to happen, whatever the degree of effort applied.

Lucid dreaming changes your outlook regarding existence, and the effects are irreversible, in my experience.
Sam
Lucid dreaming happens when you know your are in a dream so you start to control it. This book teaches you how to do this. If you already remember your dreams when you wake up, you are ahead of the game. Pick this up (I can lend it out) to help you have fun in your dreams.
Ardianta Pargo
Hidup di Dunia Mimpi memang menyenangkan :)
Vanessa
This book was very helpful and is basically all you need if you want to start lucid dreaming. It gives you a clear step-by-step process to follow and also tells about other people's experiences. I've learned a great amount and successfully trained myself.
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Astral Dynamics: A New Approach to Out-of-body Experiences
  • Journeys Out of the Body
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Inner Paths to Outer Space: Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelics & Other Spiritual Technologies
  • Adventures Beyond the Body: How to Experience Out-of-Body Travel
  • How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
  • Head Trip
  • Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self: Mending the Fragmented Self Through Shamanic Practice
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • Principia Mathematica to 56 (Mathematical Library)
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • The Secret Teachings of All Ages
  • Urban Shaman
Lucid Dreaming - The Power of Being Awake & Aware in Your Dreams Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life Controlling Your Dreams Lucid Dreaming Lucid Dreaming (Book & CD)

“The fact that both ego and self say "I" is a source of confusion and misidentification. The well-informed ego says truly, "I am what I know myself to be." The self says merely, "I am.” 12 likes