Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The "Multicultural Manners" columnist for the Los Angeles Times, Dresser has written a lively and entertaining guide on the etiquette necessary for effective and comfortable cross-cultural exchange. She addresses multicultural manners relating to food, time, body language, male/female relations and verbal expressions using a wide range of situations. Hundreds of amusing, f...more
Published July 1st 2005 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Multicultural Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multicultural Manners

Devika Koppikar
I checked this book out from the library to prepare for a conference presentation on multicultural communication.

What I liked, and what I find rare among intercultural communication books, is that it talked about communicating inter-culturally, in America. That is, other books discuss what to do if you travel abroad.

It had some great statistics as how many Americans now have multicultural backgrounds, and the benefits of reaching out to others who may be culturally different. It also discussed...more
Carol
"Smorgasbord" is a good way to describe this book. It was entertaining and enlightening, and would be worth reading again for the cultural tidbits. (I was refreshed on the meaning of customs from my own background.)
Ariel
A very well written guide to views and manners in most societies. Probably a life-saver to a clumsy person.
Rose
May 11, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: 2008
Very interesting and enlightening on different cultures and the problems a lack of understanding of cultures and practices can cause. I now have a better appreciation of other cultures and how to accommodate them, although I didn't always support the suggested responses to problems (e.g. having an appointment-only system because immigrants did not know how to queue in a US fashion - seems more sensible to educate them on how to queue). However, I now realise more what a minefield this is, especi...more
apwebb83
The information is so useful when trying to understand and not offend people in my diverse community. Who would have thought that a potluck could be offensive? I will use the topics in the book to start discussions among diverse groups and the ensuing conversation is always entertaining, enlightening and ultimately bridge building.
Emily
I wish I had this book during the 2002 Olympics when I worked downtown in SLC, or when I went to Europe in 2003. Not that I had any confrontations, but so that I could appreciate the cultures better. It might be a book I'm always reading, since I 'm just reading bits and pieces that interest me at the moment.
Ian
This book did nothing to squelch my deep desire to BE Rick Steves. This was a fast and wonderful read about intercultural mingling, travel, and communication. I'd love to read something like this which is not geared to U.S. Americans, but rather toward people researching travel to the United States.
Amber
This book was so interesting!! It really lifted some prejudices and misconceptions I had about other cultures (especially about gender and religious issues).
If you're interested in everyday culture differences and how other cultures do things differently from Americans, read this.
Jayme Carruthers
This book was very interesting. I knew almost none of the facts presented in this book before reading. This is one book I had to read for school that I actually really enjoyed. Hmmm...seems those books always come from my ESL classes.
Very poorly organized. The content was interesting, but I felt as if I was slogging through it to get anything. It's more of a "pick up, put down" book, rather than a wonderful reference.
Jen
Excellent resource for those who wish to avoid unintentionally offending someone from a different culture.
Jessie
Jessie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
W.Y
W.Y marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Brigitte.balfoort
Brigitte.balfoort marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jun 11, 2014
Cvives
Cvives marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Saying Goodbye to Someone You Love: Your Emotional Journey Through End of Life and Grief American Vampires: Fans, Victims and Practitioners I Felt Like I Was from Another Planet: Writing from Personal Experience Multicultural Celebrations: Today's Rules of Etiquette for Life's Special Occasions Come as You Aren't!: Feeling at Home with Multicultural Celebrations