Start by marking “Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The "Multicultural Manners" columnist for the Los Angeles Times, Dresser has written a lively and entertaining guide on the etiquette necessary for effective and comfortable cross-cultural exchange. She addresses multicultural manners relating to food, time, body language, male/female relations and verbal expressions using a wide range of situations. Hundreds of amusing, f ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Multicultural Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multicultural Manners

Devika Koppikar
Jan 09, 2011 Devika Koppikar rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from the library to prepare for a conference presentation on multicultural communication.

What I liked, and what I find rare among intercultural communication books, is that it talked about communicating inter-culturally, in America. That is, other books discuss what to do if you travel abroad.

It had some great statistics as how many Americans now have multicultural backgrounds, and the benefits of reaching out to others who may be culturally different. It also discussed
Keith
Oct 13, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it
This book is a good general guide to cultural differences in etiquette, especially pertaining to multiculturalism in the United States. Each chapter is focused on a certain area (e.g. classroom or medical setting). Oddly the miscellaneous section is found before a few last chapters. Each chapter has short vignettes of what not to do when interacting with people from different backgrounds. These vignettes seem to be anecdotal, possibly hypothetical. The last section of the book organizes the info ...more
Carol
Jul 09, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ethnic
"Smorgasbord" is a good way to describe this book. It was entertaining and enlightening, and would be worth reading again for the cultural tidbits. (I was refreshed on the meaning of customs from my own background.)
Ariel Kestenbaum
Nov 23, 2008 Ariel Kestenbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written guide to views and manners in most societies. Probably a life-saver to a clumsy person.
Rose
May 11, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: 2008
Very interesting and enlightening on different cultures and the problems a lack of understanding of cultures and practices can cause. I now have a better appreciation of other cultures and how to accommodate them, although I didn't always support the suggested responses to problems (e.g. having an appointment-only system because immigrants did not know how to queue in a US fashion - seems more sensible to educate them on how to queue). However, I now realise more what a minefield this is, especi ...more
Oscar Romero
Jul 15, 2015 Oscar Romero rated it it was amazing
The best book to really learn about all cultures...even my own culture. I was quite surprised to find out many "things" I was not aware of--about my natal country. Nevertheless, an excellent source of useful information if we want to do business or simply get along with people from other cultures.

Strongly recommend this book to readers of all ages and of course, all cultures.
Michelle
Jul 05, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. It was very easy to read, with a lot of useful/interesting information about etiquette in various cultures. Parts of it seemed redundant and a few examples were a little dated.
Maria
Mar 12, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Anyone traveling or anyone working in the service industry should read this. Or just to know your neighbor!
Talbot Hook
Sep 22, 2014 Talbot Hook rated it it was ok
The book is organized well, but it held little in the way of learning for me.
apwebb83
Sep 12, 2010 apwebb83 rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
The information is so useful when trying to understand and not offend people in my diverse community. Who would have thought that a potluck could be offensive? I will use the topics in the book to start discussions among diverse groups and the ensuing conversation is always entertaining, enlightening and ultimately bridge building.
Emily
Feb 27, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
I wish I had this book during the 2002 Olympics when I worked downtown in SLC, or when I went to Europe in 2003. Not that I had any confrontations, but so that I could appreciate the cultures better. It might be a book I'm always reading, since I 'm just reading bits and pieces that interest me at the moment.
Ian
May 22, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
This book did nothing to squelch my deep desire to BE Rick Steves. This was a fast and wonderful read about intercultural mingling, travel, and communication. I'd love to read something like this which is not geared to U.S. Americans, but rather toward people researching travel to the United States.
Amber
Sep 29, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting!! It really lifted some prejudices and misconceptions I had about other cultures (especially about gender and religious issues).
If you're interested in everyday culture differences and how other cultures do things differently from Americans, read this.
Jayme Carruthers
Sep 17, 2013 Jayme Carruthers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, favorites
This book was very interesting. I knew almost none of the facts presented in this book before reading. This is one book I had to read for school that I actually really enjoyed. Hmmm...seems those books always come from my ESL classes.
Mar 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Very poorly organized. The content was interesting, but I felt as if I was slogging through it to get anything. It's more of a "pick up, put down" book, rather than a wonderful reference.
Jen
Mar 17, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Excellent resource for those who wish to avoid unintentionally offending someone from a different culture.
Jae
Jul 02, 2010 Jae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Ercilia Delancer
Ercilia Delancer rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Techi
Techi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Eako
Eako marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Sharon Lynch
Sharon Lynch marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Liane58
Liane58 marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Gary L Turnmire
Gary L Turnmire marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Do's and Taboos Around the World
  • "Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas
  • Postcards from France
  • The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude
  • Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds
  • Dark Summer Dawn
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
  • Solo: On Her Own Adventure
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Diet: Because Looking Great Isn't Just about Losing Weight
  • Etiquette Guide to Japan: Know the Rules That Make the Difference!
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 22: African-American Classics