Start by marking “Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The "Multicultural Manners" columnist for the Los Angeles Times, Dresser has written a lively and entertaining guide on the etiquette necessary for effective and comfortable cross-cultural exchange. She addresses multicultural manners relating to food, time, body language, male/female relations and verbal expressions using a wide range of situations. Hundreds of amusing, f ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Multicultural Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multicultural Manners

Devika Koppikar
I checked this book out from the library to prepare for a conference presentation on multicultural communication.

What I liked, and what I find rare among intercultural communication books, is that it talked about communicating inter-culturally, in America. That is, other books discuss what to do if you travel abroad.

It had some great statistics as how many Americans now have multicultural backgrounds, and the benefits of reaching out to others who may be culturally different. It also discussed
Keith
This book is a good general guide to cultural differences in etiquette, especially pertaining to multiculturalism in the United States. Each chapter is focused on a certain area (e.g. classroom or medical setting). Oddly the miscellaneous section is found before a few last chapters. Each chapter has short vignettes of what not to do when interacting with people from different backgrounds. These vignettes seem to be anecdotal, possibly hypothetical. The last section of the book organizes the info ...more
Carol
"Smorgasbord" is a good way to describe this book. It was entertaining and enlightening, and would be worth reading again for the cultural tidbits. (I was refreshed on the meaning of customs from my own background.)
Ariel
A very well written guide to views and manners in most societies. Probably a life-saver to a clumsy person.
Rose
May 11, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: 2008
Very interesting and enlightening on different cultures and the problems a lack of understanding of cultures and practices can cause. I now have a better appreciation of other cultures and how to accommodate them, although I didn't always support the suggested responses to problems (e.g. having an appointment-only system because immigrants did not know how to queue in a US fashion - seems more sensible to educate them on how to queue). However, I now realise more what a minefield this is, especi ...more
Talbot Hook
The book is organized well, but it held little in the way of learning for me.
apwebb83
The information is so useful when trying to understand and not offend people in my diverse community. Who would have thought that a potluck could be offensive? I will use the topics in the book to start discussions among diverse groups and the ensuing conversation is always entertaining, enlightening and ultimately bridge building.
Emily
I wish I had this book during the 2002 Olympics when I worked downtown in SLC, or when I went to Europe in 2003. Not that I had any confrontations, but so that I could appreciate the cultures better. It might be a book I'm always reading, since I 'm just reading bits and pieces that interest me at the moment.
Ian
This book did nothing to squelch my deep desire to BE Rick Steves. This was a fast and wonderful read about intercultural mingling, travel, and communication. I'd love to read something like this which is not geared to U.S. Americans, but rather toward people researching travel to the United States.
Amber
This book was so interesting!! It really lifted some prejudices and misconceptions I had about other cultures (especially about gender and religious issues).
If you're interested in everyday culture differences and how other cultures do things differently from Americans, read this.
Jayme Carruthers
This book was very interesting. I knew almost none of the facts presented in this book before reading. This is one book I had to read for school that I actually really enjoyed. Hmmm...seems those books always come from my ESL classes.
Very poorly organized. The content was interesting, but I felt as if I was slogging through it to get anything. It's more of a "pick up, put down" book, rather than a wonderful reference.
Jen
Excellent resource for those who wish to avoid unintentionally offending someone from a different culture.
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Tomasz
Tomasz is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Alexis Payne
Alexis Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Thao
Thao marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Cassidy Mcconnell
Cassidy Mcconnell marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Postcards from France
  • "Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas
  • The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
  • Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World
  • The Best-Loved Doll (An Owlet Book)
  • Solo: On Her Own Adventure
  • A Social History Of The Media: From Gutenberg To The Internet
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Party Life
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • How Humans Evolved
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Diet: Because Looking Great Isn't Just about Losing Weight
  • Historical Capitalism with Capitalist Civilization
  • Dark Summer Dawn
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms
  • If She Only Knew Me
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • 1001 Inventions That Changed the World
Saying Goodbye to Someone You Love: Your Emotional Journey Through End of Life and Grief American Vampires: Fans, Victims and Practitioners I Felt Like I Was from Another Planet: Writing from Personal Experience Multicultural Celebrations: Today's Rules of Etiquette for Life's Special Occasions Come as You Aren't!: Feeling at Home with Multicultural Celebrations