Start by marking “Lord of the Cranes” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Cranes
Preview

Lord of the Cranes

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Once upon a time Tian, the Lord of the Cranes, decided to leave his home, high in the clouds, and fly down to the city to test the people. Dressed in rags, he went begging for alms, but only the innkeeper Wang, passed the test. Tian rewarded Wang with a miraculous gift, a gift that brought fame and fortune to the innkeeper, and in return, Wang vowed to help the Lord of the ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by NorthSouth

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Cranes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Cranes

Amy
My niece has some sort of inexplicable, life-long fascination with anything to do with China or the Chinese culture. Admitedly, her life has been short thus far, but that's beside the point. I knew she would appreciate this book simply because it's a Chinese story. She did like it, she appreciated the art, and the story itself.

The story is more or less a do unto others story--it talks about the virtue of charity and kindness to those in need. It's a pretty book that tells a story that's been tol
Charity
My kids and I read this book as part of our history unit about ancient China. We almost didn't get to it before it was due back at the library, but I snuck in a little reading after breakfast.

My children loved this story. The illustrations are gorgeous and the story is a classic one along the lines of Baucis and Philemon about the rewards that come when we're generous. My children were enchanted by the idea of a man riding on the back of a crane in flight and painting a picture that came alive
Canadian Reader
A rather bland and moralistic Chinese folktale in picture book form, which, with its inclusion of muddy, pasty paintings, has even squandered the chance to illuminate ancient Chinese culture through illustration. It's an acceptable book--not an exceptional one. A historical note about sources, the significance of cranes and the meaning of "TIAN" in Chinese mythology would have been welcome.
Holly Brown
This book is about Tian, who is the Lord of the Cranes and lives in the mountains. Tian decides to go down to the city to find out if people are being kind to each other.

This book is great. I loved reading this Chinese tale and learning about the culture.

I would use this book in my classroom to introduce my students to the Chinese culture. I would also this book to teach my students to be kind to others.
Loren
Lenore didn't love this book as much as I did, probably because it was advanced for her yet. I thoroughly enjoyed the story about a god who became a beggar, so he could reward the innkeeper who cared for him. I thought the nature of the reward -- a mural of cranes who danced for the innkeeper's guests -- was wonderful, combining my loves of nature and artists. I hope we'll read it again, when Lenore is older.
Ren
I know this is a child's book, and consists mostly of pictures, but I found this an absolutely enchanting tale. Filled with plenty of morals, beautiful water colors, and an amazing story, this has to be one book that I am absolutely certain I will pass down to my own children. In fact, I love using some of the mythology found in this book for thoughts of my own. Great Chinese folktale.
Rachel
Loved the storyline of the Lord of the Cranes and how he visits a town and manages to find a man who will give without consideration of payment, just gives to be kind and generous. Thought it was a charming little story with beautiful paintings of cranes.
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Lee
Lee added it
Oct 01, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014