Start by marking “Boris and the Snoozebox” as Want to Read:
Boris and the Snoozebox

Boris and the Snoozebox

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
All Boris wants is a long catnap in his new cardboard box with no trouble whatsoever. But suddenly--STAMP, STAMP, scribble, scribble--the box is taped up and zoomed off to doorsteps all over the earth and beyond Every time Boris drifts off to sleep, someone opens the box and wakes him up. Beady eyes peek inside and loud voices shout, This is NOT what I ordered! I DON'T wan ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Tiger Tales (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Boris and the Snoozebox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boris and the Snoozebox

Marisa
May 24, 2008 Marisa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Torn between liking this book and being irritated that it is a complete Lauren Child rip off. Boris is a stray cat who is looking for a cozy place to sleep. He jumps in a box, only to be shipped off to a lady waiting anxiously for her biggest tea pot in the world to FINALLY arrive. She doesn't want a cat, she wants a teapot, so she packs Boris back in the box and sends him away. This happens over and over, and everywhere he ends up, Boris hears the same thing..."I don't WANT this cat!" That's he ...more
Mercedes
Mar 26, 2009 Mercedes rated it it was ok
The artwork was almost too busy.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
The artwork in "Boris and the Snoozebox" is absolutely delightful. It's mixed media and is just the sort of thing that I think would stimulate anyone to trying to do something of their own in a similar vein. In style, it reminds me of Lauren Child of "Charlie and Lola" fame. And truly the book has that much visual appeal. Really a lot of fun!

Where's it's lacking though is in the plot department. There is a story -- Boris the cat doesn't have a home and he very much wants a comfy place to sleep,
Shannon Tuhey Hayes
Nov 12, 2014 Shannon Tuhey Hayes rated it it was amazing
This is a great book which will be a lot of fun to read to my 2nd graders. The story is fast paced with fun, silly language. The illustrations are creative and also use real media and a lot of different textures.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Boris needs a quiet place to sleep, and he thinks he's found it when he jumps into a box. However, next thing he knows the box is sealed shut and he's being shipped all over the country. I don't know if kids will realize how far-fetched this story is--Boris doesn't attempt to claw his way out of the box, and doesn't seem to want food or drink even though it must take days and days for him to reach each destination. I would have suspended disbelief until he ended up on another planet--that episod ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 03, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I know people love the illustrations in this book, but there was just too much going on for me to enjoy it!

Boris doesn't have a home, so when he sees a box full of fluffy stuffing, he can't help but curl up and go to sleep. Of course, the box gets shipped to all kinds of wrong places, but don't fear! Boris ends up exactly where he belongs.

The illustrations are collage, which I usually do love! But there are simply too many textures and shapes and characters and lines on every page. This book was
Miss Sarah
a little too busy for me but a cute story about a cat shipped all around the world by mistake as he tries to find just the right place for a nap.
Russell
Jun 04, 2015 Russell rated it liked it
Nutty. Nutty psychedelic adventures of a feline. But not LSD or psilocybin psychadelic, more like DMT psychedelic.
RachelAnne
Dec 18, 2013 RachelAnne rated it liked it
Ages 4-8 Boris doesn’t have a bed—he doesn’t have a home, for that matter. So, when he discovers an inviting brown cardboard box, he decides to hop in for a snooze. Much to his surprise, the box is then taped shut and shipped to a woman who’s very upset that Boris is not what she had ordered. Poor Boris doesn’t even get a chance to run away before the box is taped shut and sent to another unhappy recipient…and another…and another. Finally, he arrives on Grandma Flapjack’s doorstep and finds a lo ...more
Marie
Oct 01, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it
I love this book. The writing and illustration style are very reminiscent of Lauren Child's style. Luckily, they also live up to her standards. The art is a lovely comibination of patterns and textures, and incorporates textiles in the collages. The text size and font contributes to the book's vitality. Grandma Flapjack's yarn and knitting needle bun is a perfect thing! The story is a grand adventure from the cat's point of view. Highly enjoyable!
Molly
Dec 10, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Boris is a stray cat, who sometimes wishes for a home, and sometimes just wants a place to nap. He finds a comfy old box, and is just starting to drift off...when he is picked up and shipped out. He is sent back and forth, even to outer space, but no one wants him. Until he winds up on Grandma Flapjack's doorstep. The mixed media illustrations are quite fun, but this one (because of the erratic text placement) is best for older preschoolers.
Laura Z
Nov 21, 2011 Laura Z rated it really liked it
Very cute book about a homeless cat who is accidentally taped in a box and mailed many places before he ends up finding a home with a person who just happens to be wanting a cat! I loved the bright and busy mixed media illustrations! I couldn't quite figure out why each person kept forwarding the cat to a new place instead of returning the cat to the previous place (heehee--but who cares!). Toddlers won't notice...
Julie
The illustrations in this book are great! With a name like Boris, how can one not fall in love with this cat? Boris does not have an owner. He falls asleep in his snoozebox. The box is shipped and delivered to many destinations where people do not welcome him; until finally he is delievered to Grandma Flapjack! Grandma Flapjack always wanted a cat, and Boris always wanted a Grandma Flapjack. It was a purrrfect match!!!
Aprils
Jul 05, 2013 Aprils rated it really liked it
This book is about a cat who travels in a cardboard box and eventually finds an owner who will love him. I really enjoyed this book. The story is humorous and charming, and the author uses funny words like "Snootlethorpe." The illustrations are happy, bright, and colorful, and the text is arranged in a funny way. I think that children who love cats would enjoy this book. I would read it to children ages 4-8.
Katie
Jul 26, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
A vibrant, entertaining story of a cat's attempt to find a loving home--with a comfy pillow for snoozing. The detailed, energetic illustrations bring added humor to the story. Kids in preschool through third grade will want lots of time with this book in order to pore over the pages, which are arranged in collage fashion and feature little notes, arrows, and doodles.
Julie
Jul 29, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Boris is a cat that is just looking for a place to take a good nap. Instead, the box that he finds to snooze in is shipped all over the place constantly interrupting his catnap. Poor Boris...

The colorful collage illustrations are what attracted me to this series. The story is also silly enough to make it a very enjoyable read with my niece.
Amy
Feb 20, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a really cute picture book. It follows a stray cat who finds a cardboard box to sleep in when he unexpectedly gets mailed around to various people. I loved the illustrations. I normally don't like mixed media, but it really worked in this book. There were so many little details to look at.
Suzanne
Nov 14, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I saw the adorable cover art and I had really high hopes for this book. However, the inside was disappointing. Besides being way to busy, the illustrations were just a cross between Lauren Child and Laura Ljungkvist (one page looked like it was torn from Follow the Line). Cute but hardly original.
Amy
Aug 06, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-stories
B. (age 9) says, "I liked the plots of this book and that it was about a cat. I also liked the people's names."

I thought it was a cute book. The collage-style illustrations were quirky and fun and the plot was silly and the ending sweet. A feel good story.
Tara
Jul 28, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
The illustrations leap off of the page. The text is ALL over the place, and while that might make storytime tough, the potential for fun is too great to ignore. A great book for a storytime about kitties or about creative uses for boxes (like Not a Box.
E. Anderson
Aug 27, 2009 E. Anderson rated it really liked it
An adorable tale of a homeless kitty who thinks he's found a place to sleep...but winds up traveling through the mail. Hodgkinson's illustrations are ingenuitive and brightly colored, making Boris' adventures all the more delightful.
Peacegal
Dec 27, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
Humorous story of a cat who takes an unexpected trip through the mail.
Sharon
Apr 13, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Boris the cat has no home and he's ok with that or so he thinks until he falls into the life of the right one. Really enjoyable. Great read aloud.
Catrina
Mar 20, 2011 Catrina rated it really liked it
Hudson loved this book because "it was kinda funny" "It was funny when Boris was on the move again - that's why I liked that part"
Karen
Jun 24, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-out-loud
Sweet ending. Love how the text flows in the page. Love how there are realistic elements (scanned?) incorporated into the pictures.
Katterley
Nov 23, 2012 Katterley rated it it was amazing
Boris, or Colin, depending on where you live, is a wonderful kitty that has an adventure all because he wants to take a nap. Great book!
Kim
Jun 14, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, boxes
Boris the cat is rying to find a place to take a nap. He finds a box, but it keeps getting shipped all over the place.
Anna
Feb 06, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Oh man, this book cracked me up. I loved the illustrations. Boris is a fantastic cat. And I don't say that about many cats.
Rachel
Jun 12, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
The illustrations were great! It also has great storytime potential due to the wacky characters :-) Maybe a Caldecott?
Beck
Jun 18, 2009 Beck rated it really liked it
Loved the artwork in this cute tale of a homeless siamese kitty.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leigh is the author and illustrator of Goldilocks and Just the One Bear and illustrator of the Magical Mix-Ups series.

Leigh is an award-winning animator and worked as art director on the BAFTA-award winning animated series, Charlie and Lola.

She is also an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, who is absolutely passionate about writing, making things up and daydreaming. Among her ma
More about Leigh Hodgkinson...