Start by marking “The Complete Novels” as Want to Read:

The Complete Novels

4.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  637 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Now in Penguin Classics - a treasure trove of Jane Austen's novels

Published March 28th 2006 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Novels

Anna Kristina
Oct 05, 2009 Anna Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Pride and Prejudice (five stars)

Persuasion (three stars)
I enjoyed this one, perhaps because it wasn't quite as obvious how everything would play out (not the ending, but how it would get there). enjoyable!

Emma (four stars)
I really enjoyed this... I think I can connect to Emma the best out of all the Jane Austen heroines I've met so far, at least as far as personality, not necessarily matchmaking. And can understand things blowing up in your face and regretting decisions... seriously, who can't?
Jeanette
Sep 11, 2008 Jeanette is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-adult
Making my way through all seven Jane austen novels. So far, Pride and Prejudice is still my favorite.
Myra
Sep 01, 2009 Myra rated it it was amazing
Loving Jane Austen as I do I was thrilled when my daughter surprised me with a copy of her complete novels. If you enjoy the weight of a book in your hands, and you love Jane Austen, this is the book for you.

I must admit that I skipped Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice because I had only recently re-read them. So I skipped to Mansfield Park, read straight through that, and followed with Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion and Lady Susan. I loved them all, and I believe I have a new f
Jamie
May 27, 2009 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: undergrad
I've spent a semester getting through this massive volume (for a class, I should say), and I figure I'll do mini-reviews for each novel rather than anything similarly massive. So let's give it a whirl.

Sense and Sensibility: This is actually the only Austen novel I've read on multiple occasions, so I have a bit more familiarity with it than any of the other five. This is, in my humble opinion, a fairly dark novel for Austen. Marianne's melodrama is of course frequently mocked, but Elinor's resign
Robyn Larson
Apr 25, 2008 Robyn Larson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read most of Jane's novels every year. Steer clear of the Lady Susan novel. It's actually the first "novel" that Jane wrote, but it's written as if it's two women corresponding about their trashy lives. But the other novels are swell. :) I love Sense and Sensibility,Emma, and Pride and Prejudice in that order. Mansfield Park and Persuasion are also kinda fun (although it's been a while since I've read them...). :)
Feb 08, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Few novelists have conveyed the subtleties and nuances of their own social milieu with the wit and insight of Jane Austen. Here in one volume are her seven great novels: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, and Lady Susan. Through her vivacious and spirited heroines and their circle, Austen vividly portrays English middle-class life as the eighteenth century came to a close and the nineteenth century began. Each of the novels is a love s ...more
peaseblossom
Jun 06, 2008 peaseblossom rated it it was amazing
I can't express with complete fullness my delight in rereading these novels.
Allison
Oct 12, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Mansfield Park:

Of the Jane Austen novels I have read thus far, this was my least favorite. The character of Franny is just too righteous when compared to Elizabeth Bennet or Marianne Dashwood. Though I realize that author's have the freedom to create differences in their characters, this seems to be more than that. As I was reading the novel, it did not seem to be written by the same woman who wrote Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, or even Persuasion. The characters are flat, with the
Brittany
2/2/10
Emma
3 Stars
I had a hard time getting into this book until I remembered that the movie Clueless is based on Emma. Is that sad? Haha. But really, each new chapter would throw me off because usually a whole new story line would start up, or the story line would shift widely that I couldn't always keep everything and everyone straight. Then when I had the epiphany it got me into the book, because I was always like, ooh, who is Mrs. Weston supposed to be? (Dionne?) Or how are they going to make
K
Aug 17, 2008 K rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austen fans
Shelves: favorites
As the title implies, this book is a collection of Jane Austen's novels. And I am embarrassed to say that until this book, the only novel I have read by her is Pride and Prejudice. Overall, I thought the book itself was amazing and that it offered a wonderful opportunity to read the rest of Austen's novels. Of Austen's novels, Pride and Prejudice will always remain my favorite (and my secret obsession), but I also enjoyed several of her others including: Emma (which the 90's movie Clueless is ba ...more
Cricket Muse
Jul 10, 2016 Cricket Muse rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Overall, it's difficult to fault an author who has become part of the literary canon. Considering Austen wrote only seven novels, with only six being referred to, she has made her mark on literature.
Having read all the other novels, I turned my attention to Mansfield Park. Considering this her third novel, the character of Fanny Price, was found wanting, especially compared to the indomitable Elizabeth Bennett of the prior Pride and Prejudice. It's said that even Austen's mother found Fanny insi
Kerry
Feb 10, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Michelle
Jun 27, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jane Austen, i relate to her.. so her complete novels are a gift... i heart her so much
Dean Thompson
Jan 16, 2015 Dean Thompson rated it really liked it
What can one say?
My favorite is "Pride and Prejudice" of course.
Nov 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I love, love, love Jane Austen. My favorite is still Pride and Prejudice, but Emma and Sense and Sensibility are close seconds. I'd say my least favorite is Mansfield Park (something about Fanny Price kind of annoys me). I also found Lady Susan interesting because I didn't know anything about it before I read it.

I think I'll try choosing another author next year to read all of his/her novels (maybe Charles Dickens?). I liked watching the evolution of the writing and plot development as
Lisa Cook
Jul 01, 2010 Lisa Cook rated it liked it
Shelves: college
In college, I got the crazy idea to join a book club. Crazy, I know. I think it had a lot to do with the professor, actually. I had, and still do have, a lot of respect for Dr. Haggerty, so I thought it would be a great chance to get some more interaction with him. Did I have the ulterior motive of a letter of recommendation in the back of my mind? Maybe. But that's besides the point. Jane Austen is Jane Austen. It's the chick lit of yesteryear. Not exactly my cup of tea, but still worth reading ...more
Aug 27, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, favorites
I recently read "Pride and Prejudice" for the first time again since high school and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I might even rent the Keira Knightley version for kicks. This collection is awesome if a bit heavy; it has all of Austen's six published novels and one that I don't think was completed (?) Much like PG Wodehouse, these books comfort me. They also pack a great emotional punch and I love the relationships among the sisters, as well as the romances. They are pure genius, for realz.
Karen

Persuasion Review
Lady Susan Review
Meagan
Aug 01, 2008 Meagan rated it liked it
I am currently reading Northanger Abbey from this collections of novels.

OK, so I'm not a fan of Jane Austen. In fact, this is the first of her novels I've read completely. It took me a while, a month just about, but I did make it to the end. I enjoyed it. The second half especially. I'm not ready to say I like Austen, but this was a better experience than I expected!
Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)
This is a wonderful, high-quality, edition of the six novels, and the epistolary novella, "Lady Susan". While it weighs a couple of pounds, it is the version to throw in the car, or take on the airplane, when traveling. It'd make a great gift for the 'Janeites' in your life too!
Shannon
Nov 28, 2011 Shannon marked it as to-read
Shelves: classics
Pride and Prejudice

Read:11/14/11 to 11/25/11. I give it a rating of 3.5 stars. It took a little getting into, but ultimately I enjoyed the book, and would have like to have seen it more developed. The language was a bit confusing and hard to follow at times.
Deanna
Mar 13, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read Sense and Sensibility so far. I think I will read the books in the order they are presented, from 1st published to last. Reading Austin is definitely different than reading todays romance/historical romance novels and I am enjoying the change in pace.
Cecilia
Apr 20, 2009 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have no words to describe how I enjoyed Jane Austen's novels. I love them all... I can't help falling in love with Mr Darcy in "Pride and Prejudice" o with Colonel Brandon in "Sense and Sensibility". This is a wonderful and unforgettable book.
Arien
Mar 26, 2010 Arien rated it it was amazing
What can I say I love Jane Austen. I have completed Persuasion. Love, Love love it. Pride and Prejudice so good, and so is Sense and Sensibility. You can not go wrong with these books. I am currently reading Mansfield park and enjoying it.
Christina
Jan 11, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
None of the spelling, etc. has been updated, so it would be harder for a younger or first-time reader to follow. In Jane Austen's tradition of satire, the novels are entertaining, sweet, and politically significant for her time.
Synova
Jun 09, 2008 Synova marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
Okay, this book is way to heavy to comfortably read. so I will read the novels individually and move this one over when I've read all of them :)
Kristin
Sep 02, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
About to reread all of the Austen books. I haven't seen any of the movies yet so they are fresh in my mind before I see them!
Jul 27, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm officially a member of the Jane Austen book club now. :) Brilliant, all of them are still timeless.
Meagan Dixon
May 03, 2015 Meagan Dixon rated it it was amazing
Amazing! From start to finish! Jane Austen was brilliant and I loved every book!!
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Short Stories
  • Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey (Modern Library)
  • John Keats
  • A Gentle Creature and Other Stories
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Stories, Plays, Poems & Essays
  • Collected Essays
  • Collected Poems
  • The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey
  • On a Lee Shore
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Americanos: Latin America's Struggle for Independence
  • London: The Autobiography
  • The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
  • The Definitive Guide To Screenwriting
  • Climbing the Date Palm
  • Fate Accelerated
  • Beacons: Stories for Our Not So Distant Future
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...