Start by marking “The Doris Lessing Reader” as Want to Read:
The Doris Lessing Reader

The Doris Lessing Reader

The author has selected a superior sampling of her short stories, novels, andnonfiction for this publication.
Published March 28th 1991 by Paladin

To ask other readers questions about The Doris Lessing Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doris Lessing Reader

Abailart
Oct 12, 2009 Abailart rated it it was amazing
Interesting introduction by Doris Lessing focused upon 'realism'. It is very comforting to return to this lovely writer and shows the wisdom of the saying that a certain quality of reading is closely related to intimate conversation: the reader must return the act of generosity.
Susana
Jun 24, 2013 Susana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty I got through the short stories and then had to return this to the library. It was refreshing to read a competent adult themed writer with a real gift for language. That seems to be missing in much contemporary fiction that reads like a précis for a film script. I'll be returning to a Lessing novel soon.
Joe Mossa
Aug 21, 2007 Joe Mossa rated it liked it

I enjoyed the first 4 short stories. she has a great style and her stories have a purpose, to make you think, see, feel problems. Her GOLDEN NOTEBOOK is one of my best one hundred and I only read some of it. I think I ll read all of this reader-short stories, excerpts from her novels, non fiction.
Sonya
Apr 28, 2013 Sonya rated it liked it
Took me five years of on-off trying and failing to read her novels, but I have now finally started to quite enjoy Doris Lessing. The short stories more so than the novel excerpts, though I to had to skim-read some of the more clunking bits. She's not a master of naturalistic dialogue. I may give her novels another go in the future. The non-fiction excerpts were perhaps the most interesting.
Tracey
Nov 22, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: libraryread
I remember reading her in college; I just don't remember why. Assigned reading perhaps. Maybe I've been reading SF/F too long, but most of the stories weren't terribly compelling, except for maybe "Sunrise on the Veldt". I liked the non-fiction selections better.
Jennifer Rolfe
Jennifer Rolfe rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Chiamaka
Chiamaka rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Saurabh
Saurabh rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Danielle
Danielle rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2011
carolyn clark beedle
carolyn clark beedle rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2010
Teresa Catterall
Teresa Catterall rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Ganimarepublic
Ganimarepublic rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2011
Luce Cronin
Liked the short stories, but did not enjoy the sections of novels - sort of pointless to read.
Bootheina
Bootheina rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2007
Corinthia
Corinthia rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Molly Zeigler
Molly Zeigler rated it liked it
May 25, 2013
April
April rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Carmen Isáis
Carmen Isáis rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2009
Susan T
Susan T rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Mekita
Mekita rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2009
Henry Sturcke
May 23, 2015 Henry Sturcke rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to her work.
Norbertcolbert
Norbertcolbert rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
Both of her parents were British: her father, who had been crippled in World War I, was a clerk in the Imperial Bank of Persia; her mother had been a nurse. In 1925, lured by the promise of getting rich through maize farming, the family moved to the British colony in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Like other women writers from southern African who did not graduate from high school (such as Oliv ...more
More about Doris Lessing...

“The human being is given by Nature little more energy than what is needed to maintain the species; to reproduce and to live out our (very short) spans. But if we want to be fit for the journey up and out of the limits of ordinary life, we have to learn not to waste energy. Which we do by busying ourselves too much with material things, and by using our minds in wasteful and damaging ways. You will have seen that I am describing concepts familiar to us from religions, put here in a different context, rescued from being 'sins' or sources of guilt, reintroduced, simply, as tools. It is not 'wicked' to eat and drink too much, not a 'sin' to be envious, but gluttony makes 'the Way' difficult; and thoughts of enmity keep the mind in a seethe, making subtler inputs impossible. And, besides, laws operate that we have not been taught about, whether we have had the benefits of religions or not. Thoughts of anger, jealousy, enmity, revenge, bring retribution. There is nothing theoretical about this: slowly you learn to see patterns where before you saw nothing, because you were over-emotional.” 1 likes