Start by marking “Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer” as Want to Read:
Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  14 reviews

"[Snorri Sturluson] speaks—as almost no other historian ever has spoken—with the authority of a man whose masterful skills would have made him one of the formidable, foremost in any of the events he records. So he saturates even remotely past happenings with a gripping first-hand quality...Hollander's translation is very good, fresh on every page ...Wherever you open the

Hard cover, 687 pages
Published 2006 by Stenersens forlag (first published 1230)

To ask other readers questions about Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

Neil
The is a revised update of an early Everyman edition of Snorri's Heimskringla that was originally translated by Samuel Laing in the 1840s. The revisions are done by Jacqueline Simpson and Peter Foote, who for some strange reason revise the prose texts and supply new introductions but leave Samuel Laing's strange verse adaptions of Scaldic Poetry untouched, which in my opinion would have benefited from from a complete rewrite.

This huge compilation of Norse Kings Sagas is made up of sixteen sagas
Duntay
Aug 10, 2014 Duntay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the rather suspect black gothic text against a red background - this is an interesting book.

So far, the first bit, "The Saga of the Ynglings" consists of along series of basically crap kings who rule for about five minutes each. They all die in a ludicrous manner - one drowns in a vat of mead while wandering around (drunk) to look for a place to take a pee, one gets lured into a cleft in a rock by a dwarf (while drunk) and is never seen again and others die by bull attack and nightmare.
Everett Darling
Really interesting and a really valuable link to the past, but my eyelids hung heavy and often and getting through this was more of a chore than a pleasure. I wouldn't attempt this if you are new to the saga's if only for it's sheer size. Start with The Vinland Sagas. It's much more intruiging, with less focus on the kings, and more on commoner's--of the highly entertaining kind--lives and voyages, and it's a one-sitting kind of saga whereas the Heimskringla will soon become a new appendage.
Jeremy
If Snorri's the Herodotus of the Middle Ages, this is his "Histories." Meaning, it's THE masterwork of epic nonfiction narrative prose for its time. Debate its accuracy all you like: it's a goddamn awesome read. This edition, from U of Texas Press, translated by Lee Hollander, is the one to get. Anything Scandinavian from Hollander or U of TX is top-notch, actually: the best edition of the Poetic Edda, for instance. Try the Saga of the Jomsvikings, too.
Varmint
was going through a phase where i'd read everything by tolkein. and had started into the ancient texts that had inspired him. The heimskringla, the kalevala, beowulf, and such. there are elements of epic storytelling that you will find very familiar, and that make it easier to read than you'd think.

and learned that my scandanavian ancestors were pretty brutal.
Devero
Le saghe norrene, nella loro forma originaria, non sono molto interessanti, nel senso che non sono molto avventurose. Sono una lunga sequenza di eventi e genealogie che hanno un interesse per lo più filologico e legato agli studi di mitologia e linguistica. Non attendetevi granché da questa lettura.
Marts  (Thinker)
This is quite an interesting read and to think I just came upon it whilst reading Jules Verne's 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. Actually at first I had no idea that the text existed but finally decided to look it up.
Jeta
For anyone interested in the Norse history and literature this book is a must. However, it takes the patience of a historian to follow all the details on the lives of kings of Norway - a patience I did not have.
Lars
Oct 12, 2008 Lars added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only specially interested
Recommended to Lars by: My highschool history teacher
This 'brick' of a book is historically interesting. Recommended for anyone who may strive for further understanding of the creation of the Norway as one nation in the viking era and beyond.
Britta
This is the definitive saga of the Norwegian kings. It's enormous, so it may take quite a long time to get through, but my trip inspired me to explore all things Scandinavian.
Peregrine
This has been sitting on the huge bookshelf that my family has since probably before I was born. I'm going to give it a try sometime. Because Vikings.
Rick Davis
Amazing. Review to follow when I have time.
Man
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Madelaine
Madelaine marked it as to-read
Jennifer Gibbs
Jennifer Gibbs marked it as to-read
Stoic_quin
Stoic_quin marked it as to-read
Tom
Tom is currently reading it
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jswaidan
Jswaidan marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jaimee
Jaimee marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Nicki Markus
Nicki Markus marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mb
Mb marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Calico Marty
Calico Marty marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Frederikke
Frederikke marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jason Leonard
Jason Leonard marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Orkneyinga Saga: The History of the Earls of Orkney
  • Seven Viking Romances
  • Eyrbyggja Saga
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • Viking Age Iceland
  • A History of the Vikings
  • The Sagas of Icelanders
  • The Road to Hel: A Study of the Conception of the Dead in Old Norse Literature
  • The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok
  • Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga
  • The Vikings
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
Snorri Sturluson was an Icelandic historian, poet and politician. He was twice elected lawspeaker at the Icelandic parliament, the Althing. He was the author of the Prose Edda or Younger Edda, which consists of Gylfaginning ("the fooling of Gylfi"), a narrative of Norse mythology, the Skáldskaparmál, a book of poetic language, and the Háttatal, a list of verse forms. He was also the author of the ...more
More about Snorri Sturluson...
The Prose Edda King Harald's Saga Gylfaginning Sagas of the Icelanders Heimskringla, Volume 1: The Chronicle of the Kings of Norway