Start by marking “Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer” as Want to Read:
Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

Heimskringla (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈheimsˌkʰriŋla]) is the best known of the Old Norse kings' sagas. It was written in Old Norse in Iceland by the poet and historian Snorri Sturluson (1178/79–1241) ca. 1230. The name Heimskringla was first used in the 17th century, derived from the first two words of one of the manuscripts (kringla heimsins – the circle of the world). ...more
Hard cover, 687 pages
Published 2006 by Stenersens forlag (first published 1230)

To ask other readers questions about Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snorre Sturlasons kongesagaer

Neil
Feb 22, 2013 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norse
The is a revised update of an early Everyman edition of Snorri's Heimskringla that was originally translated by Samuel Laing in the 1840s. The revisions are done by Jacqueline Simpson and Peter Foote, who for some strange reason revise the prose texts and supply new introductions but leave Samuel Laing's strange verse adaptions of Scaldic Poetry untouched, which in my opinion would have benefited from from a complete rewrite.

This huge compilation of Norse Kings Sagas is made up of sixteen sagas
Linda
Sep 23, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, let me say that I can't imagine reading this on a Kindle. It's 800+ pages long and, if you're looking for action, boring.

But it is a wonderful example of Scandinavian medieval literature. If you can get into the rhythm of it, the translator has done an excellent job of making it easy to read.

Because it is medieval, it's hard sometimes to keep track of who is who. The author assumes you know (or remember from previously) who so-and-so is. Also there are little "stories" put in the
Everett Darling
Really interesting and a really valuable link to the past, but my eyelids hung heavy and often and getting through this was more of a chore than a pleasure. I wouldn't attempt this if you are new to the saga's if only for it's sheer size. Start with The Vinland Sagas. It's much more intruiging, with less focus on the kings, and more on commoner's--of the highly entertaining kind--lives and voyages, and it's a one-sitting kind of saga whereas the Heimskringla will soon become a new appendage.
Nicki Markus
Dec 13, 2014 Nicki Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
I got a copy of this book as I have a huge interest in the Viking era. And to that end, this is a great work to add to my library. On reflection, I maybe should have dipped into it in between other books, rather than read through it in one go. After a few chapters, it all started to become a little bit familiar and stodgy - one king harried here and there, married, and then died; then the next king harried here and there, married, and then died. I do not think this is a book for general readersh ...more
Duntay
Jul 28, 2013 Duntay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the rather suspect black gothic text against a red background - this is an interesting book.

So far, the first bit, "The Saga of the Ynglings" consists of along series of basically crap kings who rule for about five minutes each. They all die in a ludicrous manner - one drowns in a vat of mead while wandering around (drunk) to look for a place to take a pee, one gets lured into a cleft in a rock by a dwarf (while drunk) and is never seen again and others die by bull attack and nightmare.
Jeremy
Nov 16, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1200s
If Snorri's the Herodotus of the Middle Ages, this is his "Histories." Meaning, it's THE masterwork of epic nonfiction narrative prose for its time. Debate its accuracy all you like: it's a goddamn awesome read. This edition, from U of Texas Press, translated by Lee Hollander, is the one to get. Anything Scandinavian from Hollander or U of TX is top-notch, actually: the best edition of the Poetic Edda, for instance. Try the Saga of the Jomsvikings, too.
Maire Carmack
Jun 16, 2015 Maire Carmack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Great stories of the Lords of Norway. Went into great detail of battles as well. It doesn't go into modern history though but this doesn't bother me.
Anneli
Feb 18, 2017 Anneli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book and a beautiful edition.
I read the Norwegian "Storm" edition.

Good book but a hard read. Mostly because the narrative style or flow were that of old texts from about the 1100s and the book itself were worked on and rejigged in the late 1800s.

Very interesting if you're into this sort of thing.

Yes I took a long time to get through it but hey I wasn't doing it for school or anything. just for my own personal reasons.
Jason Rusbult
Feb 13, 2017 Jason Rusbult rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of history

This book contains the oldest history of the Norwegian kings and of the Norse people. Anyone who has Norwegian heritage needs to read this book!
Meg
Dec 21, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it and I reread it often. Battling Norsemen, sly plotting, berserk rage, sailing to new lands for adventures. And with occasional weird poetry thrown in by the major characters! And for some strange reason, the genealogy had its own fascination. And it's all supposed to be true (although obviously there's artistic licence on the part of Snorri). What's not to like?
Wulfheashod
Sep 13, 2015 Wulfheashod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heimskringla is a must read for any one interested in Norse history and Lore....however this is a large body of work comprising the lives of the Norse rulers and it is not for the light hearted and in my opinion you must have more than a passing interest in Norse history to a) fully commit to this book and b) fully appreciate its contents. To the potential reader I would recommend to first read the Eddas (certainly the Prose Edda) and get a few Sagas - be they legendary or Icelandic - under ...more
Varmint
was going through a phase where i'd read everything by tolkein. and had started into the ancient texts that had inspired him. The heimskringla, the kalevala, beowulf, and such. there are elements of epic storytelling that you will find very familiar, and that make it easier to read than you'd think.

and learned that my scandanavian ancestors were pretty brutal.
Devero
May 15, 2014 Devero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Le saghe norrene, nella loro forma originaria, non sono molto interessanti, nel senso che non sono molto avventurose. Sono una lunga sequenza di eventi e genealogie che hanno un interesse per lo più filologico e legato agli studi di mitologia e linguistica. Non attendetevi granché da questa lettura.
Jeta
Jun 01, 2010 Jeta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For anyone interested in the Norse history and literature this book is a must. However, it takes the patience of a historian to follow all the details on the lives of kings of Norway - a patience I did not have.
Billy Roper
Apr 27, 2016 Billy Roper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is from Snorri the Icelander that we received the written inheritance of the sagas, tales of the Norse, and these collections of Viking religious and philosophical thought read like a northern Proverbs.
Marts  (Thinker)
This is quite an interesting read and to think I just came upon it whilst reading Jules Verne's 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. Actually at first I had no idea that the text existed but finally decided to look it up.
Britta
This is the definitive saga of the Norwegian kings. It's enormous, so it may take quite a long time to get through, but my trip inspired me to explore all things Scandinavian.
Lars
Oct 12, 2008 Lars added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only specially interested
Recommended to Lars by: My highschool history teacher
This 'brick' of a book is historically interesting. Recommended for anyone who may strive for further understanding of the creation of the Norway as one nation in the viking era and beyond.
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2007
JAMES L HALL
JAMES L HALL rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Christopher Hind
Christopher Hind rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Rowan
Rowan rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Liviu
Liviu rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Gohar
Gohar rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Tish
Tish rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2013
Branko Bilz macmillan
Branko Bilz macmillan rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2010
Hubert Cumberdale
Hubert Cumberdale rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Knut
Knut rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2012
  • Orkneyinga Saga: The History of the Earls of Orkney
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • Eyrbyggja Saga
  • A History of the Vikings
  • Viking Age Iceland
  • The Sagas of Icelanders
  • The Road to Hel: A Study of the Conception of the Dead in Old Norse Literature
  • A Dictionary of Northern Mythology
  • The Vikings
  • Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga
  • The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok
Snorri Sturluson (also spelled Snorre Sturlason) was an Icelandic historian, poet and politician. He was twice elected lawspeaker at the Icelandic parliament, the Althing. He was the author of the Prose Edda or Younger Edda, which consists of Gylfaginning ("the fooling of Gylfi"), a narrative of Norse mythology, the Skáldskaparmál, a book of poetic language, and the Háttatal, a list of verse forms ...more
More about Snorri Sturluson...