Start by marking “Groove” as Want to Read:
Groove

Groove

Geneva Holliday’s juicy novel brings a lighter touch to African American erotica, setting the sexual escapades amid the real-life folly and drama of four very different friends during one incredibly hot summer in New York City. This funny, sexy book has something for everyone!
Published June 28th 2005 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Groove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groove

Stephanie
Mar 10, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This was a great read for the summer. It was amusing as well as realistic.
GROOVE is the story of four childhood friends Geneva, Crystal, Noah and Chevy and their crazy, drama filled summer.

Geneva is an extremely broke single mother of a "growing up too quickly" adolescent son. She is also still sleeping with his no good father, and struggling with her weight as well.

Crystal is the top exec of the non-profit organization called "Ain't I A Woman" (I know). She is in a serious relationship with a v
Erica L
Apr 23, 2016 Erica L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was awesome. I was initially attracted to the cover. I tend to try books out quicker if the cover models look chocolaty like me and my family. Geneva Holliday is a great writer, and i really love her style the way each chapter focused on the different characters. This book was on my "recommendations" good read list and I am so happy it was! Loved it!
Mocha Girl
Oct 13, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it liked it
Geneva and her three childhood friends (Chevy, Crystal, and Noah) are still close despite choosing different paths to adulthood. Geneva, a chain smoking divorcee, is struggling to raise a teenage son with raging hormones, battles an ever increasing waistline and trifling ex-husband who seems to visit for sex only. She is a receptionist, gratefully employed by Crystal, who made it out of the projects via an Ivy League education with inroads to corporate America. Crystal founded and chairs the ...more
Afrijewel
Nov 18, 2009 Afrijewel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely
Recommended to Afrijewel by: Stumbled across while at library
Groove published in 2005 Part I: My synopsis
Geneva, Crystal, Chevy and Noah are all friends living in New York. Crystal is a Director at a NonProfit and falls in love with someone she thinks she knows well and devistated when the truth is brought to light, Geneva is working a 9-5 at a call center who is battling her wait and the challenges of raising her son and dealing with her Ex-Husband. Chevy is also working a 9-5 at a call center with intent to find out the quickest way to make and spend mo
Maya Aisha
Feb 23, 2016 Maya Aisha rated it liked it
I downloaded this novel from the library because I found out that it is written by one of my favorite authors - Bernice McFadden. The story is different from her usual fictional novels that are interwoven with elements of true historical events occurring within the Black community. "Groove" starts off strong, but fizzles out mid-way through, and then picks up around the 35th chapter or so.

If you can hang in there past the slow parts, you can enjoy a strong finish.
Tracy
Sep 01, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This story was laugh out loud funny!. The characters are people we all know and love or love to hate. Everyone has at least one friend like the friends in this novel. If you want a quick read that will take you back to your college days and maybe even some of your current days this is the book for you. With friends like these who needs enemies?
Tanya Jackson
Sep 27, 2014 Tanya Jackson rated it really liked it
This is already one of my favorite authors, I have read everything under her Bernice McFadden titles, so it was only right for me to pick this up. It was fun and made me laugh out loud, will be starting the sequel very soon.
Pricelessfem
Jun 17, 2011 Pricelessfem rated it it was amazing
I love this author! I stumbled across this author and just fell in love with the charactors in her book. I just couldn't get enough of them and had to collect the series so that i can see how their lives play out. A must read!
Khyrra
Jul 17, 2008 Khyrra rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Khyrra by: My friend Teresa
This was a very good read. I enjoyed this story from the beginning to the very end. Sneaking and reading a paragraph or two at work. :0) A good book for any book club.
Crystal
Jun 20, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
Great read! Funny and kept you wanting to know what was going to happen next! Looking forward to the Book Discussion!
J.R. Randle
Apr 27, 2007 J.R. Randle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: one looking for a light read
Hilarious storyline. I prefer her literary work as Bernice Mc Fadden more than her new moniker, Geneva Holiday
Linda Ruvimbo
May 05, 2009 Linda Ruvimbo rated it it was amazing
hilarious....very interesting storyline.
my 1st read and look forward to reading more of her books.
Uranie
Uranie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Shuwan
Shuwan rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2011
Sofie
Sofie rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2010
Shareefa
Shareefa rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Olivia Lagrandeur
Olivia Lagrandeur rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2016
Phoenix
Phoenix rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2010
Tania
Tania rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Daphne
Daphne rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Bree Jackson
Bree Jackson rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Rebekkah
Rebekkah rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Kira
Kira rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2007
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Melody
Melody rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Felicia Mason
Felicia Mason rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Anita Faison
Anita Faison rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Marcella
Marcella rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Williamsmytp
Williamsmytp rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2009
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Four Guys and Trouble
  • Rhythms
  • Meeting of the Waters
Welcome,

I am a Brooklyn born and bred author of ten novels. Six under my birth name, Bernice McFadden and four under my pen name Geneva Holliday.

I hope you pick one, two .....ALL of my novels!

Don't be a stranger. Drop by and visit me at my website and/or blog. I love having company.

Peace & Light,

Bernice L. McFadden
aka
Geneva Holliday
More about Geneva Holliday...