Vintage Munro

Vintage Munro

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  24 reviews
WINNER OF THE NOBEL PRIZE®IN LITERATURE 2013

Vintage Readers are a perfect introduction to some of the greatest modern writers presented in attractive, accessible paperback editions.

“In Munro’s hands, as in Chekhov’s, a short story is more than big enough to hold the world—and to astonish us again and again.” —Chicago Tribune

In an unbroken procession of brilliant, revelato...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Vintage

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Book of Negroes by Lawrence HillLife of Pi by Yann MartelThe English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
Canadian Fiction
338th out of 498 books — 392 voters
Vintage Murakami by Haruki MurakamiVintage Didion by Joan DidionVintage Hughes by Langston HughesVintage PKD by Philip K. DickVintage Munro by Alice Munro
Vintage Readers
5th out of 19 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

David Sweeney
This is a Greatest Hits volume of Munro's stories and as such there aren't really too many flat spots. The second volume of Greatest Hits has just been released. Most of the stories are in rural Ottawa and the prose is sparse. I will be going back for more as there are some recurring characters that you need to find out more about. Be warned that there are three stories regarding suicide, so one suspects that has popped up in Munro's own life. The stories are gentle and at times there appears to...more
Billy
Dec 17, 2007 Billy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: John Stockton
Finally unpacked this and finished it. All I want from short stories are reflective, lyrical and inventive language, characters I care about and a sense that the author-god behind it is intuitive about her characters' inner lives. Alice Munro is the Karl Malone of short story writers: she delivers.

That is the cheesiest sports analogy I've ever attempted.
Maureen Neville
Years ago some of my co-workers were reading a book of Alice Munro's short stories entitled "The Moons of Jupiter." I didn't join them however I always kept this author in the back of my mind as someone to read (I normally don't read short stories and prefer novels).
This past summer (2013) I decided to try some short stories and looked for Ms. Munro's books in a local public library. I decided to try this "vintage" collection as it features stories from a number of her books of short stories.
I...more
David
Vintage (named after the publisher, no doubt) is a collection of 6 Alice Munroe short stories, put together in honour of Munroe's winning of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature.

As others have said far better than I could, Munroe is a talented author, and can make a lot (largely mental) happen in a short space.

On the down side, I found the stories to be a little too "lady-centric" for my tastes. Not only are the main characters always women (which I don't have a problem with), the stories primaril...more
Kevin
Vintage Munro is a collection of some of Alice Munro's finest short stories put together in recognition of her winning The 2013 Noble Prize for Literature.The actual presentation speech itself was also included. In that speech the presenter praised Munro's minimalist style, stating that she "is often able to say more in thirty pages than an ordinary novelist is capable of in three hundred." Personally, this minimalist style left we wanting more, and I felt these stories could have easily, dare I...more
Julie
I have to say while I love the authors work, I found some of the short stories in this collection to not be her best. There are so many to choose from, so many that leave a lasting imprint on you, and I found most of these don't. Well written yes, I don't think you can read a short story by the author and not say it wasn't well written. But, compared to what I've read in the past, some of the individual short stories didn't live up to what they normally do.

One of my favourite stories from the co...more
John Mohn
This collection of stories was a Christmas present from my Secret Santa, and I just got around to reading them on vacation two weeks ago. I was hoping I'd get an earlier collection I didn't own when I filled out my Secret Santa information memo. But Viintage Munro was perfect because it includes two of my favorite Munro stories, and three others that I don't remember reading, but are great examples of her work. Relationships are always the central theme of her stories, and in these pieces, one d...more
Jan Daker
I don't often read story collections and feel a bit of frustration now and then wanting the stour to go longer but then that could be why this collection is so good.
My favorite was Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage. Loved it!
Sandra
Loved it. Great character development and sense of place. Of course, some short stories were better than others. But, I'll definitely read more of her work.
Liza May
She's a superb writer, magnificent writer. But she's so damn depressing! Every story is sad, sad, sad.
Amanda Ardelean
My favorite of her shorts so far is Differently - the story of Georgia, Maya, Raymond, Ben, Harvey, Miles, Hilda, Anne and Laura. Could anyone ever possibly make such permanent long term plans for their lives, one that they could keep no matter the change in circumstance... how could they? How is it done so confidently so often? Have you ever faked something to others in cahoots with your partner, friend?

passages on page 22, 75
Hillary
Even though some stories in this collection are better than others, it's hard to find even tiny complaints with any of them. Munro is a genius, and that's about all that needs saying. There may only be five stories in this book, but they display her talent for spinning out and alluding to far more than is said. A great intro.
Sandra Alonzo
Alice Munro is one of my favorite authors. She's the queen of the short story. VINTAGE MUNRO is one of her best. I highly recommend the read, especially if you're into character-driven plots. The stories are set in Canada. The years range from the 40's to the 60's or 70's. Writing at it's best.
Kara
Munro is my favorite author for subtlety; her short stories are still at the surface but roiling underneath. After reading one I rarely remember the plot details but the emotion shadows me (in one case, for years).
Tammy Marie Jacintho
I enjoyed these short stories so much. I'm inspired to write a collection myself!
Tiffin-Seneca Public Library
This is an excellent taste of what Munro has to offer. I especially enjoyed "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage".
Washington Centerville Public Library
Erin Shea Smith
Ashamed it took her wining the Nobel for me to get turned on to her. Really enjoyed this collection.
cordel  anderson
To be honest, her genius aggravates me more than it satisfies me. And that's okay!
Marlene
How is it that Canada keeps producing these great women writers?
Louise Mccaul
i am glad i am alive so that i can read more Munro
J.j. Penna
A best-of collection from the master of the genre.
Emily
She's the greatest. Nothing smart to say about it...
Christopher
Christopher is currently reading it
Rajiv Dandekar
Rajiv Dandekar is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • The Stories of Richard Bausch
  • Selected Stories
  • A Day in the Life of a Smiling Woman: Complete Short Stories
  • We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter...more
More about Alice Munro...
Dear Life: Stories Runaway Too Much Happiness Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories Lives of Girls and Women

“Hatred is always a sin, my mother told me. Remember that. One drop of hatred in your soul will spread and discolor everything like a drop of black ink in white milk. I was struck by that and meant to try it, but knew I shouldn’t waste the milk.” 10 likes