Start by marking “Vintage Munro” as Want to Read:
Vintage Munro

Vintage Munro

WINNER OF THE NOBEL PRIZE® IN LITERATURE 2013

Vintage Readers are a perfect introduction to some of the greatest modern writers presented in attractive, accessible paperback editions.

“In Munro’s hands, as in Chekhov’s, a short story is more than big enough to hold the world—and to astonish us again and again.” —Chicago Tribune

In an unbroken procession of brilliant, revelat
Published January 6th 2004 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Munro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Munro

Amanda
Nobel Prize Winner Alice Munro is a shining example of why I absolutely love short stories. This collection is comprised of six critically-acclaimed stories including "The Moons of Jupiter," "Differently," and "Carried Away." Munro's keen perception and ability to write about the human experience is undeniable. Her prose is simple and the stories are quiet and reflective, alternating between past and present and spanning decades and focusing intently on relationships. Be forewarned that illness ...more
Billy
Nov 02, 2007 Billy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: John Stockton
Finally unpacked this and finished it. All I want from short stories are reflective, lyrical and inventive language, characters I care about and a sense that the author-god behind it is intuitive about her characters' inner lives. Alice Munro is the Karl Malone of short story writers: she delivers.

That is the cheesiest sports analogy I've ever attempted.
Monica Lee
Jan 02, 2015 Monica Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Munro's lovely descriptions of ordinary things, like trying on clothes: "The fit was all right--the skirt shorter than what she was used to, but then what she was used to was not the style. There was no problem with the suit. The problem was with what stuck out of it. Her neck and her face and her hair and her big hands and thick legs" (from "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage").

Her works are like puzzles. They end ambiguously, and you find yourself turning to the beginn
David Sweeney
Feb 15, 2012 David Sweeney rated it it was amazing
This is a Greatest Hits volume of Munro's stories and as such there aren't really too many flat spots. The second volume of Greatest Hits has just been released. Most of the stories are in rural Ottawa and the prose is sparse. I will be going back for more as there are some recurring characters that you need to find out more about. Be warned that there are three stories regarding suicide, so one suspects that has popped up in Munro's own life. The stories are gentle and at times there appears to ...more
Joni
Carried Away: ★★1/2
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: ★★
Maureen Neville
Jan 04, 2014 Maureen Neville rated it really liked it
Years ago some of my co-workers were reading a book of Alice Munro's short stories entitled "The Moons of Jupiter." I didn't join them however I always kept this author in the back of my mind as someone to read (I normally don't read short stories and prefer novels).
This past summer (2013) I decided to try some short stories and looked for Ms. Munro's books in a local public library. I decided to try this "vintage" collection as it features stories from a number of her books of short stories.
I
Inna Zaichenko
Unfortunately, this collection of short stories was the case of expectations killing joy. I would normally wait for a Nobel prize winner to grab all of my attention, make me crave for every word to follow and let me enjoy every twist and turn with awe. Alice Munro’s stories are well-fetched, offer a deep investigation of characters’ psychology, impress with a careful choice of wordings. Yet the stories are too refined, careful, and restricted. They seem to be written by a straight A student tryi ...more
Kevin McAllister
Vintage Munro is a collection of some of Alice Munro's finest short stories put together in recognition of her winning The 2013 Noble Prize for Literature.The actual presentation speech itself was also included. In that speech the presenter praised Munro's minimalist style, stating that she "is often able to say more in thirty pages than an ordinary novelist is capable of in three hundred." Personally, this minimalist style left we wanting more, and I felt these stories could have easily, dare I ...more
Davida Chazan
Alice Munro made history when she won a Nobel Prize for Literature, and became the first author of short stories to receive this prestigious award. After reading this collection, while I cannot fault the Swedish Academy for their choice, I can't say this collection should be your introduction to her work. Find out why in my review here http://drchazan.blogspot.com/2016/01/...
Joanne Otto
Oct 15, 2014 Joanne Otto rated it really liked it
She's a remarkable writer who captures depths of the human psyche in a few well-chosen, and sometimes surprising, words. "The Promise of Love" blew me away! I did not find all her stories equally worthwhile, but that is probably to be expected.
John Mohn
Aug 10, 2012 John Mohn rated it really liked it
This collection of stories was a Christmas present from my Secret Santa, and I just got around to reading them on vacation two weeks ago. I was hoping I'd get an earlier collection I didn't own when I filled out my Secret Santa information memo. But Viintage Munro was perfect because it includes two of my favorite Munro stories, and three others that I don't remember reading, but are great examples of her work. Relationships are always the central theme of her stories, and in these pieces, one d ...more
Julie
I have to say while I love the authors work, I found some of the short stories in this collection to not be her best. There are so many to choose from, so many that leave a lasting imprint on you, and I found most of these don't. Well written yes, I don't think you can read a short story by the author and not say it wasn't well written. But, compared to what I've read in the past, some of the individual short stories didn't live up to what they normally do.

One of my favourite stories from the co
Christine
Aug 07, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
David
Jun 14, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vintage (named after the publisher, no doubt) is a collection of 6 Alice Munroe short stories, put together in honour of Munroe's winning of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature.

As others have said far better than I could, Munroe is a talented author, and can make a lot (largely mental) happen in a short space.

On the down side, I found the stories to be a little too "lady-centric" for my tastes. Not only are the main characters always women (which I don't have a problem with), the stories primaril
Katya Mills
Apr 28, 2016 Katya Mills rated it really liked it
The Vintage series of books is great. Whomever made the selections of writings of contemporary authors did a fine job. The short stories in this book show why Munro won the Nobel Prize. Her power of description is second to none. Her characters may as well be in the room with you. There's a lot of small town Canada in here. The central characters are often revisiting the past through the present, when someone or thing catches their eye. I love the way Munro walks us seamlessly through time, ofte ...more
Jade
Jun 20, 2016 Jade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, bookclub
This collection of short stories was chosen for my book club. I wasn't really looking forward to it as I'm not a lover of short stories, but I was definitely entrigued by this Nobel prize winning collection.

The stories take every day normal emotions and occurrences and escalate them to something beautiful and heart rendering to read. As with most short stories, however, I found that no matter how much I enjoyed reading them, the story ended just when I was getting into the plot. Also, I'm writin
Christina Ponzio
Apr 04, 2016 Christina Ponzio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-in-2016
This is the first time I've written a review of a book I've added on her, and in this case, it's because I'm compelled to. I picked up Vintage Munro hoping to explore another writer's style in short story form, and I got that and so much more. Munro's artistry in deftly and honestly bringing light to the beautifully devastating or devastatingly beautiful nuances of simple human experiences and emotions is awe-striking. One of my new favorite writers.
Amanda Ardelean
Jun 24, 2013 Amanda Ardelean rated it really liked it
My favorite of her shorts so far is Differently - the story of Georgia, Maya, Raymond, Ben, Harvey, Miles, Hilda, Anne and Laura. Could anyone ever possibly make such permanent long term plans for their lives, one that they could keep no matter the change in circumstance... how could they? How is it done so confidently so often? Have you ever faked something to others in cahoots with your partner, friend?

passages on page 22, 75
Sheree
Mar 16, 2015 Sheree rated it really liked it
Shelves: award-winners
Excellent short stories. I did not love the first two, just because of the subject matter (dying father), however the rest of the collection drew me in. Alice Munro consistently surprises me with her unexpected twist and turns. These stories deserve further examination as there is much to talk about.
I wish I'd read Alice Munro in college under the guidance of a literary pro!
She is to be read and re-read.
Dina
Aug 20, 2014 Dina rated it it was amazing
I cannot help feeling sad, although I think she did not entirely mean to make it so.
Her stories are gently told, like the ones you would hear from an elegant woman, while sipping her ice tea. But they are meaningful even the ones that are explaining daily things. There are hopes, as well as strength in each of them.

The one that especially made me sad was 'Carried Away'..
Sandra Alonzo
May 06, 2010 Sandra Alonzo rated it it was amazing
Alice Munro is one of my favorite authors. She's the queen of the short story. VINTAGE MUNRO is one of her best. I highly recommend the read, especially if you're into character-driven plots. The stories are set in Canada. The years range from the 40's to the 60's or 70's. Writing at it's best.
Hillary
Jan 11, 2009 Hillary rated it it was amazing
Even though some stories in this collection are better than others, it's hard to find even tiny complaints with any of them. Munro is a genius, and that's about all that needs saying. There may only be five stories in this book, but they display her talent for spinning out and alluding to far more than is said. A great intro.
Myrna
May 31, 2015 Myrna rated it really liked it
This was a collection on stories written some time ago by Munro-70's,80's. There were six, each very different. I sometimes get the feeling I would like the story to be longer; but she has the knack of timing up the story to a very good ending.

At the back of the book was the presentation speech when she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2013.

I will read more of her writings.
Erica
Feb 14, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: palo-alto
I'm usually not a fan of short stories, but Munroe has a way of making them like mini novels that I really enjoyed, with the exception of one or two that I ended up skipping. I'll try more of her anthologies.
Tom Lee
Jan 03, 2017 Tom Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fragile little portraits of women, each an elegant, eloquent story that focuses predominantly on either love or family or both. I found them quietly touching; understated but filled with subtle implications about the nature of love and memory
Jan Daker
May 05, 2014 Jan Daker rated it really liked it
I don't often read story collections and feel a bit of frustration now and then wanting the stour to go longer but then that could be why this collection is so good.
My favorite was Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage. Loved it!
Elizabeth Millard Whitman
Jun 17, 2015 Elizabeth Millard Whitman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Alice Munro’s observational skills, perspicacity, and ability to find something singular in the ordinary leave me in awe every time I read a story by her. The world is a richer place for having her in it.
Kara
Apr 25, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, book-club
Munro is my favorite author for subtlety; her short stories are still at the surface but roiling underneath. After reading one I rarely remember the plot details but the emotion shadows me (in one case, for years).
Lois Bryant
Jan 27, 2015 Lois Bryant rated it liked it
Well written but I thought a bit weak on character development. Ms. Munro seems to like the "aha" ending but the build up was sometimes lacking.
Tammy Marie Jacintho
May 29, 2014 Tammy Marie Jacintho rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these short stories so much. I'm inspired to write a collection myself!
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • The Orange Fish
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Thanksgiving
  • Critical Theory Today: A User-Friendly Guide
  • Dear Husband
  • How Does a Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2011
  • The Magic of Shirley Jackson
  • Onitsha
  • 99 Stories of God
  • The Best American Short Stories 2015
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
More about Alice Munro...

“Hatred is always a sin, my mother told me. Remember that. One drop of hatred in your soul will spread and discolor everything like a drop of black ink in white milk. I was struck by that and meant to try it, but knew I shouldn’t waste the milk.” 23 likes