Start by marking “A Particular Cow” as Want to Read:
A Particular Cow

A Particular Cow

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Cow’s Saturday morning stroll begins calmly enough. But when she suddenly finds herself on the wrong side of a particular pair of bloomers, all heck breaks loose--and soon she's also on the wrong side of the mailman, a group of kids, a wedding party, and, well, pretty much everyone else in town.
With zippy characters, clever language, and a terrific visual story line, this
Published September 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Particular Cow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Particular Cow

Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
82nd out of 258 books — 108 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxTime for Bed by Mem FoxHarriet, You'll Drive Me Wild! by Mem FoxWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxMem Fox Reads by Mem Fox
Best of Mem Fox
30th out of 43 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
(view spoiler) ...more
Dee-Ann
This story is about a 'particular' cow who has a small disruptive adventure on a 'particular' Saturday, most if which she is unaware of, as she has a pair of bloomers over her eyes.

I read this to my autistic son last night. The words were a little incomprehensible to him, inclduing the word 'bloomers', but he enjoyed it as we acted out the parts and he thought the acting was fun, especially putting boxershorts over his head/eyes.
David
A Particular Cow by Mem Fox, illustrated by Terry Denton follows a cow on a morning walk that goes hilariously wrong when a pair of bloomers cover up Cow's eyes.

Cow’s Saturday morning stroll begins calmly enough. But when she suddenly finds herself on the wrong side of a particular pair of bloomers as she walks through a clothesline, all heck breaks loose — and soon she's also on the wrong side of the mailman, a group of kids, a wedding party, and, well, pretty much everyone else in town.

The te
Heidi
I found a lot of laughs from this book, and I liked the simplicity of text with plenty to see in the illustrations. But I don't think it would work well as a storytime. At least, I think it would take some time and experience on my part before I could make it work. A good choice if the child has time to sit down and look at all that is going on in the pictures and follow the "trail of action."

P.S. My favorite laughs: "Bloomin' thief" and "Incoming!"

2/20/13 & 2/21/13: This worked better than
Brandon
Jan 26, 2014 Brandon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brandon by: 4fd9fd8d@opayq.com
This particular book makes a great first impression, other than the noodles inside the book, and the pages stuck together that is. This particular cow is just walking and stuff when (view spoiler)

bloomers/blimey
Sam
A cow has an adventure after accidentally getting tangled in a clothesline on his morning walk.
This book was simple and cute with a great plot that built on each previous page. I wasn't blown away by the story - I thought it could have been funnier in places but Kaity (5) LOVED it and wanted to read it again and again.
Bridget R. Wilson
Cow likes to take a walk every Saturday. Normally, her walks are uneventful. But one particular Saturday, she runs afoul of a pair of bloomers. With her sight obstructed, Cow gets into quite a mess. She knocks over the mailman, runs into a pack of dogs and a group of children, busts up a wedding, and upsets some sailors. After all that mess, Cow's walk continues in the usual uneventful fashion.

What I Thought: What a delightful story. Cow's escapades are amusing and constructed in a pleasing fash
Darla
Letter P and emphasis on Particular. Kids love the words with many syllables!
Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Letter Knowledge, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
When a particular cow goes for her particular morning walk, usually nothing happens. Until one particular Saturday.

Not every walk goes as planned, which is exactly what his particular cow finds out on a particular Saturday. Fun and funny, colorful illustration will get kids into reading. The Speech bubbles will make this book a great read for the w
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
We love the book, "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox, so we just had to borrow this book. It's a particular story about a cow who has a silly adventure. Very odd, but funny too. Our girls didn't like it as much as "Time for Bed," but it's nice for a quick read.
Isela
This book used the word "particular" more than ten times. This book can be read in 5 minutes because it has short phrases. However, the pictures has a lot of activity that I spent most of my time watching the pictures.
Rebecca Ann
This book was cute enough. The black ink and watercolor cartoon-style illustrations were cheery. The wordplay was cute. It just didn't grab me. I think it would be better for a one on one read or individual read.
Dianna
I usually like short books but there was so little text on each page that I felt like I was doing nothing but turning pages. My son and I didn't find this as funny as it was supposed to be.
Kelly
A cute, silly story. Not too much text, which is good. But there wasn't really a proactive conflict resolution. I prefer the main character to proactively resolve the conflict.
Liz Todd
Men Fox is just simply brilliant. Simple text--only 3 sentences!--but a complete story that is quite funny! The story is mostly told in the pictures! I loved the ending!
Leslie Lee
A Particular Cow, by Mem Fox, 2006 is a board book. It is very funny. Although I was not realy crazy about it, some students may find all the problems the cow gets into humerous.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I don't have anything particular to say regarding this particular book about a particular cow going for a particular walk on a particular Saturday morning.
Julie Heidingsfelder
Picture book: Published: 2006
I really enjoyed this light-hearted story. I read it to my sons and he kept saying, "this book is silly!" Good fun.
Teresa Garrett
A particular cow goes on a walk and meets some particular people and problems along the way. Younger readers will like the silly humor.
Peacegal
A single cow living on a fantasy farm causes havoc when her morning walk doesn't go as planned.
Shala Howell
cute, but didn't hold my daughter's interest. Maybe when she's older (only 8 months now).
Tricia
cause and effect story about a cow who causes trouble. just okay.
Arlena
I enjoyed reading this book. It is very funny.
Jessica

My kids laughed at this one.
Xiaohui Yang
repetitive pattern book
April
April added it
Dec 19, 2014
Tony Le
Tony Le marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Magic Box
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Max's Dragon
  • Earth to Clunk
  • Crickwing
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...
Time for Bed Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge Possum Magic Where is the Green Sheep? Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes