Start by marking “A Particular Cow” as Want to Read:
A Particular Cow

A Particular Cow

Cow’s Saturday morning stroll begins calmly enough. But when she suddenly finds herself on the wrong side of a particular pair of bloomers, all heck breaks loose--and soon she's also on the wrong side of the mailman, a group of kids, a wedding party, and, well, pretty much everyone else in town.

With zippy characters, clever language, and a terrific visual story line,
Published September 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Particular Cow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Particular Cow

Rebecca
Jan 26, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Dee-Ann
This story is about a 'particular' cow who has a small disruptive adventure on a 'particular' Saturday, most if which she is unaware of, as she has a pair of bloomers over her eyes.

I read this to my autistic son last night. The words were a little incomprehensible to him, inclduing the word 'bloomers', but he enjoyed it as we acted out the parts and he thought the acting was fun, especially putting boxershorts over his head/eyes.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I thought this was a cute book but would've been better read by kids' school librarian. She has a knack for bringing books to life and making them even better and more fun.
David
Nov 04, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, humor
A Particular Cow by Mem Fox, illustrated by Terry Denton follows a cow on a morning walk that goes hilariously wrong when a pair of bloomers cover up Cow's eyes.

Cow’s Saturday morning stroll begins calmly enough. But when she suddenly finds herself on the wrong side of a particular pair of bloomers as she walks through a clothesline, all heck breaks loose — and soon she's also on the wrong side of the mailman, a group of kids, a wedding party, and, well, pretty much everyone else in town.

The te
Heidi-Marie
I found a lot of laughs from this book, and I liked the simplicity of text with plenty to see in the illustrations. But I don't think it would work well as a storytime. At least, I think it would take some time and experience on my part before I could make it work. A good choice if the child has time to sit down and look at all that is going on in the pictures and follow the "trail of action."

P.S. My favorite laughs: "Bloomin' thief" and "Incoming!"

2/20/13 & 2/21/13: This worked better than
Brittany
Feb 11, 2017 Brittany rated it liked it
Pretty darn cute.
Bridget R. Wilson
Mar 20, 2009 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, farm, cows
Cow likes to take a walk every Saturday. Normally, her walks are uneventful. But one particular Saturday, she runs afoul of a pair of bloomers. With her sight obstructed, Cow gets into quite a mess. She knocks over the mailman, runs into a pack of dogs and a group of children, busts up a wedding, and upsets some sailors. After all that mess, Cow's walk continues in the usual uneventful fashion.

What I Thought: What a delightful story. Cow's escapades are amusing and constructed in a pleasing fash
Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Letter Knowledge, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
When a particular cow goes for her particular morning walk, usually nothing happens. Until one particular Saturday.

Not every walk goes as planned, which is exactly what his particular cow finds out on a particular Saturday. Fun and funny, colorful illustration will get kids into reading. The Speech bubbles will make this book a great read for the w
Lynley
Jun 03, 2015 Lynley rated it really liked it
Similar to Rosie's Walk in that an animal goes on an escapade through the book (mostly) unaware of all the trouble that is being caused in her wake. My daughter has since fallen in love with the word 'particular'. Most of the joy that comes from reading this book derives from using funny voices to say all the intratext. I'm no particular fan of this book myself, but I have to admit the seven-year-old loves it.
Brandon
Jan 26, 2014 Brandon rated it it was ok
Recommended to Brandon by: 4fd9fd8d@opayq.com
This particular book makes a great first impression, other than the noodles inside the book, and the pages stuck together that is. This particular cow is just walking and stuff when (view spoiler)

bloomers/blimey
SamZ
Jul 31, 2014 SamZ rated it liked it
A cow has an adventure after accidentally getting tangled in a clothesline on his morning walk.
This book was simple and cute with a great plot that built on each previous page. I wasn't blown away by the story - I thought it could have been funnier in places but Kaity (5) LOVED it and wanted to read it again and again.
Danielle
Dec 08, 2016 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261, picture-book
This book wasn't my favorite it seem a little boring. But children would really love how the cow keeps getting him self in trouble, adding more and more as it goes. Children will find the illustrations funny. It would be a great read allowed in a kindergarten classroom. Interest level k-2. Three stars because even though I don't like it much kids will.
Rebecca Ann
Jul 18, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book was cute enough. The black ink and watercolor cartoon-style illustrations were cheery. The wordplay was cute. It just didn't grab me. I think it would be better for a one on one read or individual read.
Isela
Feb 11, 2011 Isela rated it really liked it
Shelves: mem-fox
This book used the word "particular" more than ten times. This book can be read in 5 minutes because it has short phrases. However, the pictures has a lot of activity that I spent most of my time watching the pictures.
Whitney Carlisle
Mar 08, 2016 Whitney Carlisle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny and entertaining, I went into not really expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was funny and sweet and perfectly, particularly, ordinary. I read it to my nieces and they loved it.
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
We love the book, "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox, so we just had to borrow this book. It's a particular story about a cow who has a silly adventure. Very odd, but funny too. Our girls didn't like it as much as "Time for Bed," but it's nice for a quick read.
Shala Howell
Nov 30, 2007 Shala Howell rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
cute, but didn't hold my daughter's interest. Maybe when she's older (only 8 months now).
Jessica
Aug 21, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books

My kids laughed at this one.
Dianna
Apr 11, 2010 Dianna rated it it was ok
I usually like short books but there was so little text on each page that I felt like I was doing nothing but turning pages. My son and I didn't find this as funny as it was supposed to be.
Becky
Dec 24, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fun
Good book for a Taurus! Cute cow!
Tricia
Feb 09, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
cause and effect story about a cow who causes trouble. just okay.
Xiaohui Yang
Oct 20, 2013 Xiaohui Yang rated it liked it
repetitive pattern book
Liz Todd
Men Fox is just simply brilliant. Simple text--only 3 sentences!--but a complete story that is quite funny! The story is mostly told in the pictures! I loved the ending!
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
A cute, silly story. Not too much text, which is good. But there wasn't really a proactive conflict resolution. I prefer the main character to proactively resolve the conflict.
The Reading Countess
Mar 26, 2016 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about the antics of a cow's stumbling accident. Great for teaching cause and effect to little readers.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I don't have anything particular to say regarding this particular book about a particular cow going for a particular walk on a particular Saturday morning.
Darla
Sep 25, 2014 Darla rated it liked it
Shelves: kindergarten
Letter P and emphasis on Particular. Kids love the words with many syllables!
Arlena
Jan 21, 2013 Arlena rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It is very funny.
Leslie Lee
Sep 09, 2011 Leslie Lee rated it did not like it
A Particular Cow, by Mem Fox, 2006 is a board book. It is very funny. Although I was not realy crazy about it, some students may find all the problems the cow gets into humerous.
Traci Bold
Jul 27, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
A humorous picture book that captures a moment perfectly and becomes a children's story.

#cow #humor
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • Magic Box
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Max's Dragon
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • The Donut Chef
  • My Friend, the Starfinder
  • The Sunflower Sword
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going to Sleep?
  • Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • The Flower Man
  • Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...