Start by marking “Boo to a Goose” as Want to Read:
Boo to a Goose

Boo to a Goose

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  27 reviews
What would you rather do than say "Boo " to a goose? Discover one child's alternatives with this delightful baker's dozen of rhymes. David Miller's amazingly detailed cut paper sculptures are sure to inspire readers to compose some wacky goose verses of their own.
Published February 19th 2001 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Boo to a Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boo to a Goose

Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
167th out of 258 books — 108 voters
A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead
Read Aloud Picture Books
38th out of 40 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack Kirby and the X-man
May 07, 2009 Jack Kirby and the X-man rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: ACT Library
Mem Fox has produced an amusing read (or shout) aloud book.

This was David Miller's first children's picture book. The paper sculpture is pretty fantastic - but his newer works (e.g. Refugees) show that he is improving all the time.

A Warning: A number of the rhymes require an Australian accent to work correctly (e.g. walk and York need to rhyme). One might say a bit of retribution for Sesame Street's ABC...Zee (rather than Zed) and all those Dr. Seuss rhymes that only work with an American accent
Cheryl
This would be very effective in a classroom. The rhythm would engage the children and help them learn phonetic patterns as they laugh & wiggle. They might want to add their own verses, or even use the pattern to tell an entirely different story. I loved the illustrations - not weird, but still creative.
Kathleen
Feb 10, 2014 Kathleen added it
Shelves: rhyming, 50-books
This book says all the things a boy would rather do than say BOO TO A GOOSE. It gives different scenarios like, "I'd swim with a whale without getting pale. But I wouldn't say "Boo!" to a goose." Whale and Pale are rhyming words and throughout the whole book Fox uses different rhymes. I would use this book in Pre-K/Kindergarten for a literacy unit to introduce rhyming words. Rhyming words build phonological awareness. After I read this book, I will play a rhyming game with the students. Students ...more
Shanshad Whelan
Perhaps three stars for the clever art within the book, but the forced and at times really nonsensical rhymes didn't really capture me, and went on much too long. The punch line didn't really interest my reading audience either.
Julian Franklin
This book states many things that a boy would rather do than say "Boo! To a goose." The boy says things like, "I would take a long walk from here to New York..." This book is full of rhymes and silly phrases that keep children engaged.
After this story, children would have a chance to engage in a rhyming game. Children could partner up and they could take turns, one thinking of a word and the other saying the first rhyming word they think of. Then they could write in their notebooks about the rhy
Cruth
Author: Mem Fox
Illustrator: David Miller
First Published: 1996

Okay, it's Mem Fox - repetition, rhyme, clever use of language with some challenging but memorable vocabulary, excellent to read aloud. It's how she's made her name as a strong proponent of childhood literacy and advocate for reading aloud.

Fox (on her website) states she wrote the book specifically for a younger child - it is engaging and simplistic. But a lot of the magic of the book comes from the 3D paper illustrations by David Mill
Jade Detzer
Boo to a Goose is a rhyming book that uses a lot of repetition. This would be a simple read for young elementary school children. After reading this book aloud, the teacher could have the students write out a one sentence rhyme about something they would rather do than "say boo to a goose!" They could then illustrate the picture as well.
Jamie Tedesco
This one made me laugh. All of the crazy things a child would do instead of saying boo to a goose was a great example of how real life experiences could make anyone change their mind about doing some of the simplest things. It made me think of things that I will never do, like not eating bologna ever again after it made me sick as a kid.
Jd Ehringer
This book I really enjoyed. It is rhyming and repetitive so it is more suited towards primary grades. It contains a lot of different types of animals so it could be used in some sort of lesson introducing animals.
Emily
Summary (worldcat): A child relates a long list of things he would do before he'd say boo to a goose.

Review: Having been frightened as a toddler by a goose I identified with the main character. I love the rhyme and rhythm of the poetic content. I found it fun to read aloud, and that some of the rhymes bring out almost an accent in the reader, "I'd eat all the butter from here to Calcutta.."
"I'd take a long walk from here to New York...". Not to mention that the illustrations are FANTASTIC!!

Schoo
Emily Bernd
Love this book! Such a cute story and gives a good laugh. I loved the reptition and the imagination present.
Lyndsey Miller
Very cute little story! I loved the repeatition, followed but silliness if how a child's brain might actually work.
Sheniqua
I love the paper sculpture like pictures in the book! This really drew me to this little book filled with rhymes. This book would be great for students who need help with rhyming words or to put in a literacy center for kids to use and make their own silly rhymes.
Lisa
Mar 09, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: children-s-books
While I found a couple rhymes in this book a bit of a stretch, my toddler loved it, and would walk around saying "boo" to everything for days after reading it. The cut paper illustrations in this book are quite unusual and add to the fun.
Alicia
Pre-K students had a blast listening to this and saying "Boo" at the correct moments. There is a part I thought was off-base in humor regarding running around with pants down. Overall, cute simple story for a younger audience.
Jessica
My kids thought this was too long and the depiction was getting "annoying" to them (they actually used that word). I gave it too stars because the paper artwork was very detailed and amazing. Otherwise I'd give it 1 star.
Scarlet
Listing things a child would rather do instead of say boo to a goose this boon is great for rhyming and toyou get children involved in the book.
Angela Record
Mbonanto
Terrific paper craft sculptures. The tempo when read aloud is a joy for young and old alike. The final page is always a laugh.
Kass
Great one for audience participation. My students would compete to yell "Boo!" the loudest.
Casey Trump
Uses the same words. Kids can easily follow along. It's a rhyming book and has neat artwork.
Andrea
Another great one by Mem Fox. The illustrations were fun too. My two-year-old loved it.
Catherine Johnson
Thoroughly enjoyed this rhyming story from Mem Fox. Delightful!
Katherine Lewis
Nonsensical rhyming that sent my husband screaming from the room.
Julia
Fun illustrations and lots of repetition
Theresa
cute repeating story for kids
John
Apr 21, 2009 John added it
A great read for storytimes!
Connie
Connie added it
Nov 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...
Time for Bed Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge Possum Magic Where is the Green Sheep? Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes