Start by marking “The Consumer Society Reader” as Want to Read:
The Consumer Society Reader

The Consumer Society Reader

A unique and definitive reader on our "national passion"—buying stuff—and its consequences for American society. We are citizens, owners and workers, believers and heathens, but today more than anything else we are consumers. How this came to be and its consequences for us all is the subject of this pioneering reader on the rise—and continued rise—of consumerism. The Consu ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by The New Press

To ask other readers questions about The Consumer Society Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Consumer Society Reader

Rebecca Radnor
Collected classic essay's on the topic, most of which I've seen referenced before (but I had never read the originals). As such, a good teaching resource. Some of the articles were so archaic in their language as to only be assignable to grad students, but others were utterly accessible to undergrads (and I can see using at least 3 or 4 in my classes).

Towards the end, starting after Marx's fetish consumption chapter from Das Kapital it gets HORRIBLY political to the point where I was getting utt
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
This is a book that I started years ago and finally finished! A fascinating anthology looking at consumption from multiple angles. There are some wonderful essays here; some were better than others. I realized within the first year of reading this that I would not be able to finish it promptly simply because of the depth and breadth of the project. I do wish there were more stories of collective resistance to the consumer society, but at the same time, that didn't seem to be Schor's direction. S ...more
Rebecca Radnor

Juho Salo
Aug 15, 2016 Juho Salo rated it it was amazing
Some of the articles had gone a bit past their best-before date (amusingly, those with the latest dates), but by and far this is an excellent collection of articles. See the notes I made of the book.
Ivy Kleinbart
Jun 12, 2010 Ivy Kleinbart rated it it was amazing
Lots of really great essays in this anthology, ranging from serious theoretical stuff to hot postmodern cultural critiques. Some of the essays touch on issues of consumerism, the environment, and waste; some touch on identity issues, and some deal with crises of representation. Authors range from Adorno & Horkheimer, Baudrillard, and Bordieu, to Kalle Lasn, Ann DuCille, and Susan Bordo. Great anthology.
Eric Gulliver
Mar 29, 2007 Eric Gulliver rated it it was amazing
An excellent and comprehensive introduction to the works of cultural theorists such as Horkheimer and Adorno, Jean Baudrillard, Susan Bordo, Dick Hebdige, Thorstein Veblen, Pierre Bourdieu, James Twitchell, and Malcolm Gladwell.
Tiffany
Good essays about consumerism and the history of the consumer society. Most of the essays are very readable, even for people without degrees in economics or consumer research.
S.
Nov 18, 2015 S. rated it it was amazing
Great selection and breadth in the collected essays.
Jesse
Sep 26, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Amazing collection of critical essays.
Peter Wells
Sep 30, 2012 Peter Wells rated it did not like it
Turrible
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Ivaylo Yorgov
Ivaylo Yorgov marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2016
Leslie Graff
Leslie Graff marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Michal
Michal marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Nataliaboro
Nataliaboro marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Scott Smith
Scott Smith is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Paulo Pinto Correa
Paulo Pinto Correa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Chad
Chad is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Elise
Elise rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Harshit Aggarwal
Harshit Aggarwal marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Chris Laws
Chris Laws marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Margaret Mackey
Margaret Mackey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
TheFrugalNexus
TheFrugalNexus marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Juliet Schor’s research over the last ten years has focussed on issues pertaining to trends in work and leisure, consumerism, the relationship between work and family, women's issues and economic justice. Schor's latest book is Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child and the New Consumer Culture (Scribner 2004). She is also author of The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure and The ...more
More about Juliet B. Schor...

“Consumption is a social relationship, the dominant relationship in our society—one that makes it harder and harder for people to hold together, to create community.” 3 likes
“this fetishism of the world of commodities arises from the peculiar social character of the labor which produces them.” 0 likes