Start by marking “The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk” as Want to Read:
The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk

The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk

"I cannot banish the scenes and characters of this book from my memory. To me it can never appear like an amusing fable, or lose its interest and importance. The story is one which is continually before me, and must return fresh to my mind with painful emotions as long as I live..."
Paperback, 1851, 232 pages
Published October 19th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published January 1836)

To ask other readers questions about The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk

Doris
Jan 06, 2010 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are certain fascinating aspects about this book: It claims to be the true account of a young Protestant Canadian woman who voluntarily becomes a Catholic nun. Once in the convent, she discovers that the nuns are regularly raped by the priests of the monastery nearby, and that all the illegitimate babies are baptized and killed right after their birth before they are thrown into a sort of dump. There is of course also a lot of torture and physical punishment going on...
This is, however, no
Ozread
Aug 24, 2008 Ozread rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Ozread by: a friend
I was given this to read as it was supposed to be a chronicle of horrific torture visited upon a woman in a Catholic convent. I looked into it after reading it and discovered it is another fraud memoir that was publicly found out not long after it was published. This woman's only contact with the Catholic Church was during a stay in a mental asylum her mother committed her to after she sustained a head injury that affected her mental stability. She left the asylum and at the age of 18, became in ...more
Pam
Nov 07, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found in the bottom of a cedar chest this first edition was a must read. It should be a movie. Remarkable recount by Maria Monk along with a splash of humour amid the horrors.
Alex
Aug 22, 2011 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
There was a famous expose of life inside convents in the 18th century, I think - aside from The Nun, that is - anyway, I don't think this is it. But check out that cover! Whee!

ETA: Okay, fine, I looked this up. The expose is Six Months in a Convent: The Narrative of Rebecca Theresa Reed (1835), which was neither as sensational as this thing nor as patently made up. Both works were said to be influenced by The Nun and by (inside, I jump and clap my hands every time this book comes up) The Monk.

I
Julia
Aug 20, 2013 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous set of 19th C. anti-Jesuit literature (read it in a digital trio with 'Awful Disclosures...', 'Startling Mysteries...', and 'Six Months in a Convent'). Two of these stories purport to be "true confessions" of former nuns; the third is by a Protestant minister who straight-up admits his story is fiction, but should be treated as fact because he's pretty sure something like it has totally probably happened.

It's laughable to think there was a time when people would read this sort of bla
Julia
Apr 22, 2016 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are many problems with this story, and this edition. Firstly, it is important for the reader to know that this "disclosure" is hoax that was discredited shortly after its original publication in 1836. Secondly, despite the obvious intent of the publishers of this relatively recent edition to market the text as a salacious expose, sex is only referred to in the most Victorian Christian manner--purely euphemistically. Descriptions are inflamatory yet vague in the extreme--to the point that e ...more
Bryan Taylor
May 04, 2013 Bryan Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maria Monk was famous in her time after writing this book about nuns being sexually exploited in Montreal by priests. Of course, critics who want to be picky point out that most of her facts were wrong and she spent time in a mental institutions and most of the book was probably ghost written by an anti-Catholic legal guardian, William K. Hoyte, but taken as fiction, the book is lots of fun, and a classic of its time.
Libby
Apr 09, 2009 Libby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feculent
Lof cruelty and old-school penance type stuff like flagellation. Actually, come to think of it the last book I read: Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks, had flagellation in it, and only the other day I watched The Da Vinci Code with the charming mortification obsessed albino....hmmm what is the universe telling me?? On second thoughts I don't want to know!

Amal El-Mohtar
Read for the Making Settler-Modernities course. It sure was something. By which I mean it read like fanfic of The Monk, which was, itself, 19-year-old Lewis' id-powered NaNoWriMo attempt, so, you know. Wacky.
Wreade1872
Biography of nun who goes through awful stuff at convent. Good information of how a cult might operate. Prefer stuff written like fiction though. This is fiction but originally published as true by protestants trying to smear catholics.
Paul
Paul rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2015
April
April rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Angeline
Angeline rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Ingel
Ingel rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Hailey
Hailey rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2016
Michael Moreau
Michael Moreau rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Matthew Stewart
Matthew Stewart rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Pat Schakelvoort
Pat Schakelvoort rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Katie Morris
Katie Morris rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2015
Wendy Bertsch
Wendy Bertsch rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Cameron E.
Cameron E. rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2015
Jennie Hettrick
Jennie Hettrick rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2015
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2009
M.K. Kildor
M.K. Kildor rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Mathew Harris
Mathew Harris rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Rico Abrahamsen
Rico Abrahamsen rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Edward Zeauskas
Edward Zeauskas rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Audrey Robertson
Audrey Robertson rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Lidian
Lidian rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2013