Start by marking “Awful Disclosures by Maria Monk of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal” as Want to Read:
Awful Disclosures by Maria Monk of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal

Awful Disclosures by Maria Monk of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal

2.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This volume includes an appendix containing reception of the first editions, sequel of her narrative, review of the case; also a supplement giving more particulars of the nunnery and grounds. This book embraces the contents of the first editions of the author's Awful Disclosures, together with the sequel of her narrative, giving an account of events after her escape from t ...more
Published July 14th 2003 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1836)

Be the first to ask a question about Awful Disclosures by Maria Monk of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal

Doris
Jan 06, 2010 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are certain fascinating aspects about this book: It claims to be the true account of a young Protestant Canadian woman who voluntarily becomes a Catholic nun. Once in the convent, she discovers that the nuns are regularly raped by the priests of the monastery nearby, and that all the illegitimate babies are baptized and killed right after their birth before they are thrown into a sort of dump. There is of course also a lot of torture and physical punishment going on...
This is, however, no
Ozread
Aug 24, 2008 Ozread rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Ozread by: a friend
I was given this to read as it was supposed to be a chronicle of horrific torture visited upon a woman in a Catholic convent. I looked into it after reading it and discovered it is another fraud memoir that was publicly found out not long after it was published. This woman's only contact with the Catholic Church was during a stay in a mental asylum her mother committed her to after she sustained a head injury that affected her mental stability. She left the asylum and at the age of 18, became in ...more
Julia
Apr 22, 2016 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are many problems with this story, and this edition. Firstly, it is important for the reader to know that this "disclosure" is hoax that was discredited shortly after its original publication in 1836. Secondly, despite the obvious intent of the publishers of this relatively recent edition to market the text as a salacious expose, sex is only referred to in the most Victorian Christian manner--purely euphemistically. Descriptions are inflamatory yet vague in the extreme--to the point that e ...more
Julia
Aug 20, 2013 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous set of 19th C. anti-Jesuit literature (read it in a digital trio with 'Awful Disclosures...', 'Startling Mysteries...', and 'Six Months in a Convent'). Two of these stories purport to be "true confessions" of former nuns; the third is by a Protestant minister who straight-up admits his story is fiction, but should be treated as fact because he's pretty sure something like it has totally probably happened.

It's laughable to think there was a time when people would read this sort of bla
Alex
Aug 22, 2011 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
There was a famous expose of life inside convents in the 18th century, I think - aside from The Nun, that is - anyway, I don't think this is it. But check out that cover! Whee!

ETA: Okay, fine, I looked this up. The expose is Six Months in a Convent: The Narrative of Rebecca Theresa Reed (1835), which was neither as sensational as this thing nor as patently made up. Both works were said to be influenced by The Nun and by (inside, I jump and clap my hands every time this book comes up) The Monk.

I
Bryan Taylor
May 04, 2013 Bryan Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maria Monk was famous in her time after writing this book about nuns being sexually exploited in Montreal by priests. Of course, critics who want to be picky point out that most of her facts were wrong and she spent time in a mental institutions and most of the book was probably ghost written by an anti-Catholic legal guardian, William K. Hoyte, but taken as fiction, the book is lots of fun, and a classic of its time.
Libby
Apr 09, 2009 Libby rated it did not like it
Shelves: feculent
Lof cruelty and old-school penance type stuff like flagellation. Actually, come to think of it the last book I read: Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks, had flagellation in it, and only the other day I watched The Da Vinci Code with the charming mortification obsessed albino....hmmm what is the universe telling me?? On second thoughts I don't want to know!

Wreade1872
Biography of nun who goes through awful stuff at convent. Good information of how a cult might operate. Prefer stuff written like fiction though. This is fiction but originally published as true by protestants trying to smear catholics.
Amal El-Mohtar
Read for the Making Settler-Modernities course. It sure was something. By which I mean it read like fanfic of The Monk, which was, itself, 19-year-old Lewis' id-powered NaNoWriMo attempt, so, you know. Wacky.
John Witte
Jun 15, 2012 John Witte rated it did not like it
I mean, this book is mean spirited and shitty, but I like it anyway.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Richard Cindrich
Richard Cindrich is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Gary Taylor
Gary Taylor rated it it was ok
May 13, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Pilgrim Walker
Pilgrim Walker rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
M.K. Kildor
M.K. Kildor rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Andrew Llewelyn-Brinsley
Andrew Llewelyn-Brinsley rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Ragne
Ragne added it
Feb 08, 2016
M.K. Kildor
M.K. Kildor marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Angeline
Angeline rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
C Whiteman
C Whiteman rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
sarah ash
sarah ash marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Rebecca Broxson
Rebecca Broxson rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 02, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Jennie Hettrick
Jennie Hettrick rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Canadian woman who claimed to have been a nun who had been sexually exploited in her convent.

Monk claimed that nuns of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph were forced to have sex with the priests in the seminary next door. The priests supposedly entered the convent through a secret tunnel. If the sexual union produced a baby, it was baptized and then strangled and dumped into a lime pit in t
More about Maria Monk...