Start by marking “Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 1

Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 1 (X-Wing Rogue Squadron)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  549 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The greatest starfighters of the Rebel Alliance become the defenders of a New Republic in this massive collection of stories featuring Wedge Antilles, hero of the Battle of Endor, and his team of ace pilots known throughout the galaxy as Rogue Squadron!

Meet the Rogues for the first time and learn the fate of the galaxy immediately after the events of Return of the Jedi as

Published June 27th 2006 by Dark Horse (first published June 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Omnibus

Sesana
Feb 14, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
After getting burned five or six times, I pay little attention to what's going on in the Star Wars Extended Universe. Except when it comes to X-Wings. Yes, my favorite Star Wars character, in the entirety of the canon, is Wedge Antilles. And yet I'd never gotten around to reading the X-Wing comics. This was very, very bad of me, and I'm trying to fix it now.

The Omnibus collects three of the X-Wing miniseries, plus a character guide to the series. They're all set very, very shortly after the even
Christopher
Jun 20, 2015 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2015
I feel like there are going to be a lot of 3-star ratings in all of the Omnibus titles. They're fun Star Wars books if that sort of thing appeals, but the ones I have read thus far aren't anything to write home about. They aren't even canon anymore, so reading these doesn't even catch you up with the lore before the onslaught of upcoming movies and other media Disney is putting out. But they are good and fun and omg omnibus editions are the best way to read comics.

This isn't really a review, but
Andrew
Dec 02, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
Recommended to Andrew by: I'm big into music. I'm fairly active on RateyourMusic.com under the name Panza.
Shelves: comics-alt
The first story ends with the text: "We've have a fleet to protect, and a galaxy to inspire." - I wonder if the whole Omnibus series has been compiled with that quality of editing. It kind of ruined the ending for me.

I stopped reading after that first story. Why should I put the effort into reading this book when it's obvious the people at Darkhorse didn't?

My copy didn't contain any of the original covers, or even any information about the stories.

The idea behind this omnibus series is nice: co
Kevin
Jun 12, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
Rogue Squadron is the elite dogfighting force in the Rebel Alliance. The best of the best. Basically the Top Gun-trained crew. After the defeat of the Galactic Empire with the destruction of the second Death Star, things don't slow down for them. The Empire is still very much alive, just segmented. And Rogue Squadron is trying to ferret them out and defeat them so the Empire can never rise again.

This collected volume contains 13 issues of the comic as published by Dark Horse Comics. That's 280 p
Jaime
May 02, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
I have this on the Dark Horse app, which doesn't have the page numbers in it, so I'll be going off the app # if cite anything.

I loved that there was a diagram of an X-Wing from the start.

Rogue Leader
The cover art is amazing. Actually, all the art is breathtaking. The details and colours (and clarity, though I don't know if that's the app or the art) draw me in with their accuracy and vibrancy. The purple lightning around the TIEs was pretty cool too.
It's because it's done by Michael Atiyeh. I
Bradley
Aug 19, 2009 Bradley rated it it was amazing
I read the X-Wing series of 9 books years ago but never read the comics. Spotting this in a library, I thought it was a good opportunity to see what I was missing out on. Turns out I was missing quite a bit! While the book series starts 2 and a half years after Endor, this starts just after the big battle. The first story was written in 2005 but the other two in the mid-90s(last two Michael A Stackpole stories). The first story isn't up to the standard of the last two but its still all great fun ...more
Stephen Theaker
May 26, 2008 Stephen Theaker rated it liked it
The first two stories here, Rogue Leader and The Rebel Opposition, are a bit average. It was a bit of a struggle to get through them. The third, though, The Phantom Affair, is a huge improvement in every regard - plot, script, art, lettering, the works! All those things combine to leave it looking more like a French album than a mid-nineties Dark Horse comic. One of the things for which I was most grateful in the third story was that distinguishing between the human members of the team finally b ...more
Brian Cambra
Nov 01, 2015 Brian Cambra rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. I am drawn more to the Jedi side of the Star Wars world so I think that is why I don't care as much about this as I would. Over all very enjoyable.
David
Generally speaking, I'm not really a comic-book guy kinda person.

However, I have read (and actually quite enjoyed) the Star Wars: X-Wing series of books, and was aware that these were also (pre Prequel trilogy) comics. However, I was unaware (until relatively recently) that the comics were not just visualizations of the novels, but were rather stories in their own right.

When I found this out, and when I came across the digital version of this Omnibus - which collects the first 3 stories in the X
Victor Hugo Kebbe
Jan 01, 2016 Victor Hugo Kebbe rated it it was amazing
A series of memorable adventures that are part of the best ever published of the former Expanded Universe of Star Wars, before the purchase of Lucasfilm by Disney. This edition is full of endearing characters, telling the adventures of the most successful X-Wing squad of the Galaxy. Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, Hobbie Clivan, Tycho Celchu and others are members of several important missions of the group, with original stories honoring the films of the Classic Trilogy, also showing what happened t ...more
Sam
Jul 16, 2015 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Wow this was really confusing. X-Wing Squadron is certainly not the place to start with Star Wars comics. Neither the art nor the writing lend themselves towards acclimating the reader, sadly.
There are three major story arcs in this volume. The first two are really better off skipped. The only purpose they serve is to introduce characters, but wikipedia does that, too. The last story line was pretty interesting and kept me engaged every time I picked it up and I wish the rest had managed that as
Adrienne
Feb 28, 2015 Adrienne rated it really liked it
I've had this in my collection for a while and have finally gotten around to reading it.

Volume 1 contains the "Rogue Leader", "The Rebel Opposition", and "The Phantom Affair" storylines; of the three, I felt that "Rogue Leader" was the weakest of the three in terms of writing, but as it's more of an origins piece meant to pass on the Rogue Squadron legacy from Skywalker to Antilles, that's to be expected. With Mike Stackpole at the helm of the stories for "Rebel Opposition" and "The Phantom Affa
Alli
Sep 21, 2013 Alli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, own
I'm going to put this note here so people can see it: I would recommend this book, however it's kind of expensive now and hard to find for less than 35 dollars. (At least that's how much I paid for mine)

So, I suppose that buying this omnibus accomplished what I wanted it to accomplish: I regained my interest in the X-wing series (of which I'm only on book two), as well as I have a bit more visualization ability when it comes to not only the characters, but the dogfights as well. However, I'll st
Michael Alexander Henke
Volume 1 of Rogue Squadron contains the stories "Rogue Leader", "The Rebel Opposition", and "The Phantom Affair".
I was very excited when these comics were originally released. Rogue Squardon was one of my favorite parts of the Star Wars Universe, so more stories about them was right up my alley. The stories actually contain more ground combat than dogfighting, but great Star Wars characters like Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, and Tycho Celchu take center stage.
Jedi Sunni
Nov 23, 2014 Jedi Sunni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine
Rogue Leader:
I thought this was a pretty good start to a great graphic novel. The art work was nice and the characters personalities seemed to come across well. I was saddened by the loss of a member of the team. overall I give this story a 4.4 out of 5.0

The Rebel Opposition
I thought this story was very well written with plenty of twist, turns and a few surprises. The art work was above average, very engaging! my rating for this story is 4.8 out of 5.0

The Phantom Affair

How awesome was that story
Zep
May 12, 2015 Zep rated it it was ok
I was expecting a regular story. e.g. a novel, but it's hard to know those things aboug digital editions till after you buy it. it's a graphic novel/comic book. I don't think it was terribly well done. a fairly simple story, pretty good art work.
Matimate
Feb 12, 2014 Matimate rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, 2014
The heroic action of X-Wing Rogue squadron did not end after battle of Endor, but continued as the remains of the Empire simply refused to give up and continued to fight.
Mauri
Aug 19, 2007 Mauri rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Argh. I wish these has come out two years ago when I was haunting Amazon for out-of-print volumes.

This volume includes "Rogue Leader," "The Rebel Opposition," "The Phantom Affair," and "The Rogue Squadron Handbook," a little guide with dossiers on the main characters.

The Phantom Affair is my personal favorite, with its interesting/odd plot and glimpse into Wedge's background. The art for all three is quite good, as expected, though I still have nightmares about whoever did the art for Dark Empi
Garrett Ballendine
Jun 24, 2012 Garrett Ballendine rated it it was amazing
The X-Wing line of Star Wars stories written by Micheal Stackpole and Aaron Allston are one of the few who capture the exact same magic the original movies has.
This comic collection continues that tradition quite wonderfully.

Full of both comedy and intriguing plotpoints.
The first story, Rouge Leader, was produced in 2005 so the artwork is more advanced then the rest of the series. But don't let that be a detractor as the older art actually feels much more in place with the comedic styling.
Stuart
Aug 07, 2012 Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars, comics
Picked this up to get a feel for the Omnibus collections of Star Wars comics, and was pleasantly surprised at its quality! I already own most of the X-Wing comics, so I didn't read through the omnibus, but these comics are still presented really well with sharp colors on excellent paper stock, and the little bonus features included are also nice. A collection of these books would look amazing on a shelf.
Mark
Dec 16, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: sw-comics
This would be a great entry point for those looking to get into Star Wars Comics. I hadn't read any Star Wars comics before this one but that really didn't matter. There are some great characters in this series and it also ties in really well with the X-Wing Novel series. Plus, the Omnibus series is great value as you get around 3 times the content of a normal trade paperback for only slightly more money.
Glenn
Jun 07, 2015 Glenn rated it liked it
Three fairly decent stories of the Rogue Squadron crew in three separate mission/adventures. The first is by far the best and the last is not so great. Overall, however, it is a way to immerse yourself in some of what the Star Wars EU (or Legends Universe as it's dubbed now) has to offer.
Kayla
This was the first book about Rogue Squadron that I read because I hadn't read any of the Rogue Squadron novels yet, but this book gave me an idea of what they were about and made me want to read the rest of the Rogue Squadron graphic novels and the Rogue Squadron adult novels.
Maria
Aug 04, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
Too many badasses...wish it were longer. I guess that's why there are multiple volumes. The graphics could stand to tell the narrative more dynamically and creatively, though.
C
Jan 25, 2012 C rated it really liked it
Variable artwork quality but good stories. There are a few dropped plot points but overall solid storytelling.
Olivia
Dec 04, 2012 Olivia rated it liked it
The first 2 stories were a bit hard to get through, but the third was a cracker.
Carlos Chavez
Dec 29, 2010 Carlos Chavez rated it really liked it
was a really good, lots of action and rogue squadren brand humor.
Khairul H.
Oct 28, 2007 Khairul H. rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Good stories but the artwork is "meh" at best and "urgh!" at worst.
Arnaud
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 2
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Early Victories
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Menace Revealed
  • Vector, Vol. 2 (Star Wars: Rebellion #4, Star Wars: Legacy #6)
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 3
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 2: Victories and Sacrifices
  • Path to Nowhere (Star Wars: Dark Times, #1)
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Flashpoint (Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic, #2)
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 1: Betrayal

X-Wing Rogue Squadron (8 books)
  • The Phantom Affair (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #2)
  • Battleground: Tatooine (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #3)
  • The Warrior Princess (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #4)
  • Requiem for a Rogue (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #5)
  • In the Empire's Service (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #6)
  • Blood and Honor (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #7)
  • Masquerade (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #8)
  • Mandatory Retirement (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #9)