Start by marking “The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today

The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today

In the bestselling tradition of Whale Done! and The One Minute Manager, their entertaining and inspiring new book is a parable about the competition between two leaders with totally different management styles—a story that reveals the ingredients of truly effective leadership.

How can you become a more successful manager, a stronger team leader, and a motivator who gets the
Published September 8th 2003 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Leadership Pill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leadership Pill

Eng.R.books
Feb 21, 2015 Eng.R.books rated it liked it
ذكرني بكتاب من الذي حرك قطعة الجبن الخاصة بي؟
في المجمل هو كتاب ممتع وسهل القراءة عبارة عن حكاية رمزية طريفة تلقي الضوء على حاجة المؤسسات والشركات إلى قادة يظهرون نزاهتهم وصدقهم، ويهيئون ظروفا تسودها ثقافة المشاركة، ويؤكدون شعور مرؤوسيهم بتقدير الذات بإعلامهم بمدى أهمية ما يقومون به. ويؤكد الكتاب أنك عندما تنسجم مع ما يريده الموظفون حقا، فبإمكانك أن تتفوق في الأداء على الآخرين.
الوصفة الفعالة للقيادة المؤثرة وهي ما سماه المؤلف بالمزيج السري تتكون من: الاستقامة، المشاركة والإقرار بالإنجاز
Gabriela Silva
Oct 18, 2015 Gabriela Silva rated it really liked it
A very interesting book , I could not stop reading.
Karla Osorno
Nov 22, 2016 Karla Osorno rated it it was ok
Simple and easy to understand. Like the secret blend take away.
Surya Teja
Sep 22, 2013 Surya Teja rated it liked it
The book name attracts a bit and then the statement "leadership qualities are increased using the Leadership pill". That gives some interest about what is in the pill. But after sometime, it is stated that the pill is defective. Here the story turns to a different set. The Effective leader turns to a pill free challenge and then he starts on that by his own way.

Book is about how to maintain motivation by being a leader. As most of the reviews the book is about how a manager have to be with his
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 Matt Burgess rated it liked it
The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today (2003), Ken Blanchard, Mike Muchnick

The Leadership Pill is a quick read in the form of a metaphor. In it, Blanchard and Muchnick contrast two styles of leadership by giving one group a special leadership pill. The story is slightly redundant in making the distinction between the two leadership styles found in the two groups and is a little corny with the "pill". Basically, it boils down to what I call the "old" versus "new" m
Liza Fireman
Apr 16, 2016 Liza Fireman rated it liked it
Shelves: read-from-shelf
This is a 3.5 stars, but there is no such score here... I like most of the books by Blanchard - The one minute manager, the one minute manager meets the monkey and this one have pretty much the same style, they are easy and fun to read, and they emphasize important aspects of management. The Leadership Pill is a quick read in the form of a metaphor. The leadership pill helps by increasing the "leadership" of whom taking it - the person becomes more focused on the goal, and runs a team ...more
Michelle
Apr 22, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
A fictional tale of a magical Leadership Pill Versus a real Effective Leader, the outcome of the book is of course predetermined, but what you can learn from this book is not.

Although I admit I wouldn't buy a copy of this book and put it on my shelf but if you like me you happen across it in a library then do take a chance on it.

Yes the writing style is old and comes across a little cheesy but hey so does Abba this shouldn't stop you enjoying yourself!

It's a fast read and a friendly introduction
David
Nov 02, 2008 David rated it really liked it
One of the key messages is something I intend to put into everyday use; showing appreciation. As leaders, heck, as people, we simply don't do enough of this. This is so easy and so powerful. I simply wonder why we don't? It might be that we just don't understand the impact of a simple, "thank you" or "much appreciated" for all the little things, caring things, we experience throughout our days.
Geoff
Jan 04, 2010 Geoff rated it liked it
First off this is no "Who moved my cheese."

The story is very thin and the lessons are rather simplistic. The book is more about how a manager should behave than how to actually manage people. In addition, the book references some of his other books including Gung-Ho and Ravening Fans. Think of this book as a "back to basics" rather than a new management style.

I preferred The One-Minute-Manager to this book. However, if you are looking for some general tips you may want to check it out.
Greg
May 29, 2012 Greg rated it it was ok
This book comes across as something an employee would write about what he/she thinks his manager or boss should be like. If only things really worked that way in the real world. Sometimes you don't have time to give people warm, fuzzy feelings and it's just time to get stuff done. The plus side of this book was that it was such a short read.
Andrea O'Donnell
Aug 17, 2013 Andrea O'Donnell rated it it was ok
If you were raised by a halfway decent company (I was brought up through the ranks at Starbucks) then this is completely pointless to read. And, it all seems like common sense in today's landscape. Out-of-date and redundant.
Edwin B
Jul 09, 2008 Edwin B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another book that validates my preferred management style of valuing the people (the employees and the customers), and not just narrowly-focusing on the bottom-line (profits). Short but sweet in the delivery of its message (through the telling of a tale), but also fairy-tailish.
Angela Snook
Jan 12, 2010 Angela Snook rated it really liked it
This book has a pretty good meaning behind it, but staying focused was hard the book wasn't very good. I want a great book when trying to become a better leader.
Le Nguyen
Jul 12, 2014 Le Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Inspirational & Appealing, this is an extremely appropriate book for me to adopt horizontal leadership in my current organization. A Must read for leaders
Alissa
at just over one hour this was a great, inspirational leadership book. I enjoy Blanchard's parable style of writing. And the narrator of the audio was quite good.
Anne
Aug 08, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok
Had to read it for work. I was confused at first but then understood what was going on. A quick read with great recipe for successful leadership. I thought it could have a little more depth though.
Dan
Jun 15, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
Quick read discussing the value of integrity, partnership, and affirmation. Easy read because it is based within a fictional story.
Joe O'c
Aug 26, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; parable on leadership, focusing on three indgredients: integrity, partnership, affirmation - which you can't get from a "pill"
Sara
Nov 22, 2016 Sara added it
I will let the book speak for itself: "Leadership is not something you do to people, but something you do with people."
Jennifer Parker
Feb 02, 2012 Jennifer Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought this story brought a new perspective on how to look at some qualities needed in a leadership role. That as well as had some good qutoes shared.
Krishna Kumar
May 06, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it did not like it
Very corny and condescending. However, it does have some good points summarized in the last pages. Go to the library and read them instead of buying this book.
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2009
David Oldham
Aug 11, 2016 David Oldham rated it it was ok
Not too inspiring, really quick read though.
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2015
Ahmed zawawi
Ahmed zawawi rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Andy Slain
Andy Slain rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Såårthäk Kîllër
Såårthäk Kîllër rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Jonathan Vanhorn
Jonathan Vanhorn rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Ed
Jun 23, 2013 Ed rated it liked it
A good short easy read to 'start' to change a person leadership.
Darrell
Darrell rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2008
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Negotiating For Dummies
  • Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth: The 8 Secrets of How 5,000 Ordinary Americans Became Successful Investors--and How You Can Too
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets
  • It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men
  • Design
  • Facebook Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • How to Think Like a Millionaire
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like
  • Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth
  • The Adventures of Anybody
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...