Start by marking “Wynken, Blynken, and Nod” as Want to Read:
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  48 reviews
WYNKEN, BLYNKEN AND Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe–
Sailed off on a river of crystal light
Into a sea of dew . . .

So begins Eugene Field’s lovely bedtime poem, which tells of three wee fishermen who sail up to the stars, and a boy who imagines it all before he drifts off to sleep. Field’s timeless text has lulled generations of little listeners into dreamland, and
Published May 13th 2008 by Schwartz & Wade (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

Amy Musser
Beautiful starlit illustrations accompany the classic bedtime poem by the American poet and literary critic, Eugene Field (1850-1895). In Westerman’s version three children sail off on a wooden shoe over a small town and up to the old moon. They cast their nets of silver and gold to catch the herring fish that live in the sky. Then the children sail back to their bedroom and tumble into bed.

“Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes, / And Nod is a little head, / And the wooden shoe that sailed th
Jill
Do you remember the classic poem by Eugene W. Field that begins:

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe---
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea..."

Well, to put it simply, Giselle Potter's new picture book version of this poem is absolutely stunning. The rhythmic verse of the poem that always stays in my head long a
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated G by Loretta Jackson
PreS-Gr 2-Potter's fanciful, artistic interpretation is ideal for this 19th-century poem about the wistful place between sleep and dreams. Wynken, Blynken, and Nod are portrayed as three young boys in matching green pajamas, wooden shoes, and red hats. They embark in their vessel, a large wooden shoe, and sail "...on a river of crystal light,/Into a sea of dew." Sea and sky flow into one another and soon the lads are speeding through the air, where the "littl
Taylor
This is a review for the early 1980s publication of Eugene Field's famous poem -- it's the one with illustrations by Susan Jeffers. Her artwork rocks. I don't understand why this version is out of print, but it is. Jeffers' artwork is a lovely blend of the reality of a game of imagination. Her children are convincingly kid-like and her artwork captures the essence of the poem.
Jessica
Cute story, but the artwork is a little creepy.
Robert J
This is a retelling of the famous 1889 poem by Eugen Field. The illustrations are what i liked best about this book. Giselle Potter did beautiful work using a combination of pencil,ink,watercolor, gesso, and gouache. My first introduction to gouache was in Balloons Over Broadway and later A Splash of Red which were both illustrated by Melissa Sweet. I have read how this method is done and still don't understand it but I do know that I love the results.
Riverwalker
Beautiful and imaginative watercolours for a timeless poem.

Available on-Line

Jenny
The kids were mildly interested in this. It was a little too far towards the metaphoric side of things for my kids to understand. That's okay. They need to be exposed to that stuff every once in a while.
Miri
The poem Wynken Blynken and Nod, is here told, accompanied by beautiful illustrations that would be a great addition to any bedtime bookshelf.
Marissa Garcia
An enchanting tale of sweet slumber and adventure. Gorgeous, starry illustrations accompany this beloved poem perfectly.
R.L.
What a beautifully illustrated rendition of this poem. I love this poem and the song that Joanna Bartels sings on Lullaby Magic.
Angie
When I was a zookeeper several years ago, I worked with three Brazilian golden-rumped agoutis* named Winky, Blinky, and Nod. Someone mentioned that the names had come from a story; I never followed up on it, but today I ran across this book and was delighted to have that little piece of my past pop up. The illustrations in this book are lovely, giving just the right sense of eerie nighttime magic. I greatly enjoyed this short picture book.

*An agouti is a type of rodent found in Central and South
Carmine
Was a gift this Christmas and has become one of Ozma's favorite read alouds. She chimes in on the lines she has memorized with gusto, "Into a sea of dew!" "the fisherman three: Wynken, Blynken and Nod." or today she decided the Herring fish were really "Lerring" fish.
At her request I am making her a flannelboard version of Wynken, Blynken and Nod, but it will probably only have a couple pieces- the moon and the three flying in their shoe.

I like how the text was hand lettered and integrated into
Edward Creter
I wish I knew this story long time ago,, and now i'm 45, so this story reconnected me with a childhood which, in my case, is still possible. Wynken, Blynken and Nod sail on their bed to a magical place in the unicerse where fish swim in the moonlight and the moon is actually a friendly guy. This poem reminds us that the universe is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed. I hope GR members will pick up on it. If anything I learned from kids books just like this one, it's never too late to enjoy a happ ...more
Mackenzie Raatz
This book is very imaginative in a dream. Children can relate to this book through their dreams and friendships.
Allison
This poem reminds me of Mrs. Wilson from the Dennis the Menace movie. The pictures were dreamy to match the tone of the tale, and Jordan loved to recite their names with me. I think I'd like my own copy.
Andi Winterfield
I have read this book since I was little, and it is one of my most favorite poems. I've recited this to my kids every night since their births and the can now recite it themselves. Such a sweet bedtime story.
Nikki
My little girls are loving Eugene Field's poems. It's becoming our favorite to read at bedtime. These are "stories" that will make bedtime one of the most beautiful memories from their childhood.
Jesse Crain
My all-time favorite children's poem! Read this to my daughter many, many times when she was small. Read it to her children, too, so often that we have it memorized. A true classic!
Kimber
My husband's father read this to him as a boy and when we started having children he wanted to get a copy for them as well. The pictures are great and the poem is beautiful.

great book
Virginia Walter
Giselle Potter's illustrations for this classic children's poem manage to be both literal and magically evocative. A lovely book to share with very young children.
Kirsten
I liked the poem, and the imagination involved in the fisherman fishing the "stars" (herring) from the sky. But the artwork, though well done, just wasn't my style.
Samuel
May 02, 2007 Samuel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Shelves: childrens
My seven month old son wails and howls when you take this book away. He has to have it read to him every night before sleep at least twice.
Paula
A new version of the old children's poem that could be very strange when the night sky becomes a sea of fish but wonderfully illustrated.
Elaine Duree
I love this book I read it to my children as often as possible. Sometimes I just read it to myself.
Skylar Burris
Captivating pictures and a well-metered poem, but I probably enjoyed it more than my daughter.
Amy Brown
Giselle Potter illustrates Eugene Field's 1889 poem Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Good bedtime story.
Rebecca
My mom would tell us this poem growing up and I just discovered this book with Julia. Love it!
Rita
Illustrator Giselle Potter did a fantastic job illustrating this 1889 poem for children.

MCC Children's Li...: Outstanding Illistrations 1 2 Feb 15, 2012 09:25PM
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Why War Is Never a Good Idea
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Sheep Blast Off!
Poems of Childhood The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat Wynken, Blynken, and Nod and Other Bedtime Rhymes The Poems of Eugene Field

“Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod, one night sailed off in a wooden shoe;
Sailed off on a river of crystal light into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going and what do you wish?" the old moon asked the three.
"We've come to fish for the herring fish that live in this beautiful sea.
Nets of silver and gold have we," said Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.”
11 likes