Start by marking “Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction (Teach Yourself: Writer's Library)” as Want to Read:
Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction (Teach Yourself: Writer's Library)

Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction (Teach Yourself: Writer's Library)

Written by a science fiction author, this guide provides advice for readers on how to write for the genre. The craft of writing novels which stretch the imagination is explored.
Published December 3rd 1997 by Teach Yourself Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction

Charles
Jan 13, 2013 Charles rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring writers, writers needing help with the elements of storytelling
This is a refreshing book about writing that tackles the building-blocks of story: setting, plot, character, and voice. I've probably been reading the wrong books on writing, but the majority of what I've read before -- even of what I've been assigned to read as part of creative writing courses -- are loose collections of exercises for the aspiring writer to complete, well-worn advice to "write every day" and "show, don't tell", and useless musings about the author's own life. Rather than do tha ...more
Chris Lynch
Jan 18, 2009 Chris Lynch rated it liked it
This is a useful little book for inexperienced speculative fiction writers. In particular, the final chapter on getting published lays it out simply and succinctly, and the 'Further Resources' point in the right direction. I don't seek out books like this any more -- not because I'm experienced, just because I get more from workshops and peer critique. But I picked this up at the Lifeline Bookfest for a couple of dollars, and it was a good refresher on the basics. It's more of an overview of the ...more
Jeremy
Nov 21, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Much better off reading John Gardner's "The Art of Fiction" which has aged more gracefully than this book and will improve your ability to write. Those effects will carry over into effective sf/f. Stableford's effort seems the most focused on summing all the possibilities that are open in sf/f, and much less on the writing. This book's best advice might be that you will only get better not by reading it, but by writing your stories.

glhf!
Scott Golden
Jun 03, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid guide to fiction writing in general, and SF & Fantasy writing specifically. Stableford takes a straightforward but careful approach to the unique challenges inherent in creating stories set in unique worlds with unique characters.
MT Bostick
Mar 06, 2015 MT Bostick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Very helpful for me. it's a great reference book and will remain on my desk in a handy spot as I write.
Jonathan S. Harbour
Jonathan S. Harbour rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Jonathan Farley
Jonathan Farley rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Puey McCleary
Puey McCleary rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2011
Shannon Clements
Shannon Clements rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Linda Brighton
Linda Brighton rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Erica Throne
Erica Throne rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2011
Max Varazslo
Max Varazslo rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Clayton Evans
Clayton Evans rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Tracy Cooper-Posey
Tracy Cooper-Posey rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Lewis Cunningham
Jul 25, 2012 Lewis Cunningham rated it really liked it
Great book. Sort of a series of essays on writing rather than a text book or reference.
Libby
Libby rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Peter O'malley
Peter O'malley rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Trudi Hauxwell
Trudi Hauxwell rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Terence
Terence rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Keith Parker
Keith Parker rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
André Bernhardt
André Bernhardt rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Scott Watson
Scott Watson rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Zoë Marriott
Zoë Marriott rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2010
David Buchan
David Buchan rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Ariel Paiement
Ariel Paiement rated it did not like it
May 28, 2013
Terye
Terye rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Marni Derr
Marni Derr rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2017

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »