Start by marking “Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Volume 2

Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Volume 2 (Spisy #3,5)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  1,829 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Cthulhu the Terrible...

Bringer of death, madness and mutilation beyond man's wildest nightmares. Dweller in the abyssal depths of earth and ocean. Bearer of horrors from beyond time and space. Keeper of unspeakable arcane mysteries from the dark aeons before mankind's spawning. Here are tales of occult abomination that will stretch your nerves to he very limits of supernat
254 pages
Published 1975 by Panther Books Limited (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Volume 2

Nathan Shumate
These early volumes edited by Derleth show precisely the flaw of those who continued in Lovecraft's footsteps: the tightrope effort to avoid slavish pastiche of Lovecraft's style while also avoiding anything that contradicted either the worked-out mythos behind the stories or the general tenor thereof.
Jonathan Stewart
Fantastic collection of Lovecraft-inspired stories. My gosh, the line-up of authors is a dream team. Robert Bloch is always a special treat. Ramsey Campbell, Brian Lumley (the truest progenitor of Lovecraft mythos since H.P. himself). First stories are the best and it slows down a bit after that, but overall a stellar effort.
alex
I don't mean to say by giving this 5 stars that all of the stories are amazing - it is just a good, fun read and I didn't want to skip any of them. The first few are amazing though... it gets weighted down a bit by the James Wade and Colin Wilson stories at the end which are overlong, but again I still enjoyed them.
Mark McLaughlin
The Robert Bloch stories in this collection are a real treat. If you love H.P. Lovecraft's breathless tales of cosmic horror, you should also read both volumes of Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos. Great vintage stuff from an energetic era of powerful fiction.
East Bay J
I've only read the Cthulhu stories of Lovecraft, Howard and Bloch, so this was a good opportunity for me to check out some other writers takes.

The first three stories in the book, one by Lovecraft and two by Bloch, make up an interrelated narrative and there's an interesting story behind that. Bloch asked Lovecraft if he could not only put him in a story but actually have Lovecraft die. Lovecraft thought that was a grand idea and gave Bloch his blessing. That story was "The Shambler From The Sta
Jerry Kimbro
It was this book that introduced me to Lovecraft. I still remember the day i read as if it were yesterday though it was 40 years ago! My whole view of the universe got rocked by Lovecraft's story 'the Haunter of the Dark' and the two sequels penned by Robert Bloch that appear in this volume. Every tale in here is by a classic horror writer! Some are from the 70s: Ramsey Campbell, Brian Lumley; others were contemporaries of HPL: August Derleth, Robert e Howard, and even Clark Ashton Smith.

If y
Karyn
I am excited to finish this book as it contains all three parts of the Bloch/Lovecraft trilogy starting with The Shambler From the Stars. Thank you Powells' for having this gem on your shelves when I went for the Lovecraft Film Festival!

Most of the stories were quite entertaining except for James Wade's _The Deep Ones_. It had a good start but Wade really wrote a challenge for himself in making dolphins seem ominous.
Daniel Cloutier
Nach Lektüre beider Sammelbänder reicht dann erstmal wieder, alles in allem ist Lovecrafts Werk zwar vielseitig, im Kern aber dennoch repetitiv. Was nichts daran ändert, dass die Innsmouth Geschichte zum besten gehört, was ich im Bereich Horror je gelesen habe.
Die Sammlung ist in beiden Bänden mit klugen und informativen Kommentaren versehen, ich kann sie als Werkübersicht für Lovecraft uneingeschränkt empfehlen.
Jeff
I have been picking up some of these Lovecraftian books at used bookstores. This one is by H.P. Lovecraft "and others" which is at least honest since there is one HPL story here. I liked it; honestly, some of the later writers like Robert Bloch are almost better than the original stuff. Plus there is a hilarious story about dolphins by James Wade.
Edgar
Very nice compilation, specially as it focuses more on Lovecraft's successors (Colin Wilson, James Wade, J. Ramsey Campbell), who bring the mythos into a modern context--and a modern, less Lovecraft-affected style, for a change.
Chris Pariso
My favorite story in this anthology isn't actually by Lovecraft. "The Deep Ones" was a memorable little story and I occasionally pick this up just to read that one story.
Tim Knight
I have all the writings of Lovecraft,which leads me to this: how many versions of the books or collections does one need?
Tim
Classic stories, many different styles and takes on the Lovecraftian tale.
Hannah Watson
Hannah Watson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
André Júlio
André Júlio marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jordan
Jordan is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Kajarra Velis
Kajarra Velis marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Ivo Zedek
Ivo Zedek marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
malevolent  spirit
malevolent spirit marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Cold Print
  • Lovecraft Unbound
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Shub-Niggurath Cycle: Tales of the Black Goat with a Thousand Young (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Mask of Cthulhu
  • Shadows over Innsmouth
  • Cthulhu 2000
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • H.P. Lovecraft: A Biography
  • Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying in the Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft (call of cthulhu)
  • The Haunter of the Dark and Other Grotesque Visions
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
20598
August William Derleth was an American writer and anthologist. Though best remembered as the first publisher of the writings of H. P. Lovecraft, and for his own contributions to the Cthulhu Mythos genre of horror, Derleth was a leading American regional writer of his day, as well as prolific in several other genres, including historical fiction, poetry, detective fiction, science fiction, and biog ...more
More about August Derleth...

Spisy (5 books)
  • Hrobka (Spisy, #1)
  • Měsíční močál (Spisy, #2)
  • Stín z času (Spisy, #4)
  • Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Vol 1
The Mask of Cthulhu The Trail of Cthulhu The Cthulhu Mythos The Quest for Cthulhu The Adventures of Solar Pons