Start by marking “A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System” as Want to Read:
A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System

A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A most unusual guide to the solar system, A Little Book of Coincidence suggests that there may be fundamental relationships between space, time, and life that have not yet been fully understood. From the observations of Ptolemy and Kepler to the Harmony of the Spheres and the hidden structure of the solar system, John Martineau reveals the exquisite orbital patterns of the...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Walker & Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Book of Coincidence in the Solar System

jeremy
i want to like the wooden books series, given their gorgeous illustrations and slim, accessible formats, but find them to be rather flat and unfulfilling.

a little book of coincidence in the solar system presents some intriguing ideas regarding planetary orbits and mathematics - but strays much too far into the realm of pseudo-new age thinking to make it palatable. it reads like intelligent design for the sandal-wearing set.
Bruce
The coincidences referred to in the title are the arrangements of the planets and sun of our solar system. This book points out many measurement relationships that correspond to platonic solids, musical ratios, and other geometric relationships familiar to students of sacred geometry.

There are lots of pretty spirograph like pictures mapping orbits against eachother, as well as showing other relationships.

Reading this book definitely gave me the sacred geometry flavored buzz of pleasure.

I see in...more
Chris Marchan
This is a one of a kind book. If you fondly remember the illustration from one of your high school science books of Kepler's depiction of the platonic solids - one inside the other, then you have a feel for the many layered wonders revealed in this book.

Author John Martineau has assembled a lot of evidence here for at least a divine plan of unspecified origin. He show us the mathematical perfection seen in the layout of the solar system and the proportional relationships that cannot be accident...more
Nancy
This book changed my life. Martineau is a visual artist and an explorer in the finest sense. His ability to illustrate the intricacies of the universe, through prose and pencil drawings, illuminates his readers' understanding of the cosmos. He blends visual aspects into this book, small and large, of planetary rotations set in direct mathematical correspondence to musical octaves and scales.
Tameca
I loved this book, and plan to check out other books from the Wooden Books publisher. The only thing I wanted more of was some more of the math and physics behind the images. Martineau touches on this information but does not go too far in depth. Sure, that information would have been over my head, and it would have taken tons more pages to explain, but I craved that, nonetheless.
Lemur
I had no idea that the planets orbit the sun at distances that are geometrically defined. There are many beautiful little facts and coincidences in our solar systme that point to patterns that must exist throughout the universe. He doesn't explain them and I found that to be a little frustrating, but it is self-admittedly a little book.
Tippy
Beautiful little book, keeping it bedside to reread often & keep me humble & in wonder.
Rosechimera
aka planets doing fractals around stars
Sally
Mar 18, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-nature
getting ILL
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
José Garcês
José Garcês marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Abhisheksingh Chauhan
Abhisheksingh Chauhan is currently reading it
Bonnie Childs
Bonnie Childs marked it as to-read
Carinne
Carinne is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Nia
Nia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Cosma Loderer
Cosma Loderer marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 22, 2014
Fotis
Fotis marked it as to-read
Wisdom Web Networking
Wisdom Web Networking marked it as to-read
Parsa
Parsa marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Quadrivium: The Four Classical Liberal Arts of Number, Geometry, Music, & Cosmology Mazes and Labyriths in Great Britain The Life and Correspondence of Sir Bartle Frere Volume 2 The Life of Henry Pelham, Fifth Duke of Newcastle, 1811-1864 Life and Correspondence of Sir Bartle Frere, Bart., G.C.B., F.R.S., Etc. - 2 Volume Set