Start by marking “The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005 ” as Want to Read:

Sphinxes
Timothy Crouse

Grace
Pa
Published January 4th 2005 by Anchor Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005

Melinda Brasher
This collection, as with any such anthology, has a mix of stories and styles. I found some of the pieces stylistically pretentious or overly dark. The ambiguous endings weren't always ambiguous in a good way. However, most of the tales were really engaging and skillfully told, with out-of-the ordinary subjects.

My favorites:
Kevin Brockmeir: "The Brief History of the Dead"
Timothy Crouse: "Sphinxes"
Ben Fountain: "Fantasy for Eleven Fingers"
Nell Freudenberger: "The Tutor"
Ruth Prawer Jhabvala: "Refug
Kate Sweeney
Some fiction you enjoy because it makes you believe you too, maybe, could write good fiction. This collection is great and does precisely the opposite.
Marielle
So far, there have been three stories in this that have really stuck out to me. I didn't read or finish all of them. Some were not my thing so I didn't complete or read all of them.

The first is about a man who gets his bike stolen after buying it off of someone who stole it in the first place. He comes across the original owner, gets beat up and goes back to his apartment. He begins to read books he purchased from a used book store when the girl who sold the books to the store sees him reading h
Paul (formerly known as Current)
It is truly amazing the realities each of us can create in such few words. This is a fine and varied collection of short stories and for those seeking new authors and new novels, a great way to get your feet wet before you dive into another novel. I particularly liked how history works as a realistic backdrop in Ben Fountain's "Fantasy for Eleven Fingers." I also enjoyed the clear and engaging narration of Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem."
Michelle
Mudlava, The Brief History of the Dead, The Golden Era of Heartbreak, The Hurt Man, The Tutor, Fantasy for 11 Fingers, The High Divide, Desolation, A Rich Man, Dues, Speckle Trout, Sphinxes, Grace, Snowbound, Tea, Christie, Refuge in London, The Drowned Woman, The Card Trick, What You Pawn I Will Redeem.
Gayla Bassham
Standouts in this volume:

Mudlavia (Elizabeth Stuckey-French)
The Tutor (Nell Freudenberger)
Fantasy for Eleven Fingers (Ben Fountain)
Tea (Nancy Reisman)
The Drowned Woman (Frances de Pontes Peebles)
The Card Trick (Tessa Hadley)
What You Pawn I Will Redeem (Sherman Alexie)
Billy
Mikey Parker is in here!

Hey guys! Our old story class teacher is in this book!

Fuckin' good story too.

Good job, Mikey! You rule, as always!

"Thasssss a dahhhhhhk soul, sugeh."
-Fred Chappell to Carnessa Ottelin
Bianca
This was a touch-and-go collection. I thought that the best story by far was Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem." He is a very good at writing about the Native American experience in a humorous and touching way.
Anna
Read "Speckle Trout" by Ron Rash--incredible!

Other creative stories in this book: Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem", Kevin Brockmeier's "A Brief History of the Dead" and Charles D'Ambrosio "The High Divide"
Leenda dela Luna
Loooong (goodreads has this as 400+ pages but it was actually 500+)

Lots of good stories but I forgot them as fast as I read them... but that's on me. The last story was really really really good.
SmarterLilac
I read this stellar collection in the backseat on a long car-trip to Berkeley. It definitely helped pass the time.
Jame
Its like reading preview of various great works... Enjoyed various types of writing short fiction...
Allison Shell
Loved the commentary on the stories from their authors. Nice collection.
My favorite story in here: "Speckle Trout," by Ron Rash.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
June
June marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Klara
Klara is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • The Best American Short Stories 1995
  • Nice Big American Baby
  • The Best American Short Stories 1989
  • Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • The Weir and Other Plays
  • Charlie Chan Is Dead 2: At Home in the World (An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction-- Revised and Updated)
  • Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology
  • Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave
Laura J. Furman (born 1945) is an American author best known for her role as series editor for the O. Henry Awards prize story collection. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, Mirabella, Ploughshares, Southwest Review.

She has written three collections of stories (The Glass House, Watch Time Fly, and Drinking with the Cook), two novels (The Shadow Line and Tuxedo Park), and a memoir (Ordinary P
More about Laura Furman...
O. Henry Prize Stories 2007 PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2011: The Best Stories of the Year O. Henry Prize Stories 2008 (Pen/O. Henry Prize Stories) PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2009 The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2012: Including stories by John Berger, Wendell Berry, Anthony Doerr, Lauren Groff, Yi