Start by marking “The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005 ” as Want to Read:

Sphinxes
Timothy Crouse

Grace
Pa
Published January 4th 2005 by Anchor Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005

Kate Sweeney
Dec 20, 2007 Kate Sweeney rated it really liked it
Some fiction you enjoy because it makes you believe you too, maybe, could write good fiction. This collection is great and does precisely the opposite.
Tuxlie
Jul 14, 2015 Tuxlie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mudlavia Elizabeth Stuckey-FrenchThe Brief History of the Dead Kevin BrockmeierThe Golden Era of Heartbreak Michael Parker The Hurt Man Wendell BerryThe Tutor Nell FreudenbergerFantasy for Eleven Fingers Ben FountainThe High Divide Charles D�AmbrosioDesolation Gail JonesA Rich Man Edward P. JonesDues Dale PeckSpeckle Trout Ron Rash Sphinxes Timothy Crouse Grace Paula FoxSnowbound Liza WardTea Nancy ReismanChristie Caitlin MacyRefuge in London Ruth Prawer JhabvalaThe Drowned Woman Frances De Pont ...more
Marielle
May 07, 2009 Marielle rated it liked it
So far, there have been three stories in this that have really stuck out to me. I didn't read or finish all of them. Some were not my thing so I didn't complete or read all of them.

The first is about a man who gets his bike stolen after buying it off of someone who stole it in the first place. He comes across the original owner, gets beat up and goes back to his apartment. He begins to read books he purchased from a used book store when the girl who sold the books to the store sees him reading h
Melinda Brasher
Nov 17, 2014 Melinda Brasher rated it really liked it
This collection, as with any such anthology, has a mix of stories and styles. I found some of the pieces stylistically pretentious or overly dark. The ambiguous endings weren't always ambiguous in a good way. However, most of the tales were really engaging and skillfully told, with out-of-the ordinary subjects.

My favorites:
Kevin Brockmeir: "The Brief History of the Dead"
Timothy Crouse: "Sphinxes"
Ben Fountain: "Fantasy for Eleven Fingers"
Nell Freudenberger: "The Tutor"
Ruth Prawer Jhabvala: "Refug
Paul (formerly known as Current)
Mar 04, 2008 Paul (formerly known as Current) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
It is truly amazing the realities each of us can create in such few words. This is a fine and varied collection of short stories and for those seeking new authors and new novels, a great way to get your feet wet before you dive into another novel. I particularly liked how history works as a realistic backdrop in Ben Fountain's "Fantasy for Eleven Fingers." I also enjoyed the clear and engaging narration of Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem."
Michelle
Mudlava, The Brief History of the Dead, The Golden Era of Heartbreak, The Hurt Man, The Tutor, Fantasy for 11 Fingers, The High Divide, Desolation, A Rich Man, Dues, Speckle Trout, Sphinxes, Grace, Snowbound, Tea, Christie, Refuge in London, The Drowned Woman, The Card Trick, What You Pawn I Will Redeem.
Billy
Apr 04, 2009 Billy rated it it was amazing
Mikey Parker is in here!

Hey guys! Our old story class teacher is in this book!

Fuckin' good story too.

Good job, Mikey! You rule, as always!

"Thasssss a dahhhhhhk soul, sugeh."
-Fred Chappell to Carnessa Ottelin
Gayla Bassham
Jun 17, 2009 Gayla Bassham rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Standouts in this volume:

Mudlavia (Elizabeth Stuckey-French)
The Tutor (Nell Freudenberger)
Fantasy for Eleven Fingers (Ben Fountain)
Tea (Nancy Reisman)
The Drowned Woman (Frances de Pontes Peebles)
The Card Trick (Tessa Hadley)
What You Pawn I Will Redeem (Sherman Alexie)
Anna
Aug 29, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
Read "Speckle Trout" by Ron Rash--incredible!

Other creative stories in this book: Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem", Kevin Brockmeier's "A Brief History of the Dead" and Charles D'Ambrosio "The High Divide"
Bianca
Oct 12, 2007 Bianca rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, modern
This was a touch-and-go collection. I thought that the best story by far was Sherman Alexie's "What You Pawn I Will Redeem." He is a very good at writing about the Native American experience in a humorous and touching way.
Leenda dela Luna
Oct 07, 2013 Leenda dela Luna rated it really liked it
Loooong (goodreads has this as 400+ pages but it was actually 500+)

Lots of good stories but I forgot them as fast as I read them... but that's on me. The last story was really really really good.
Jame
Jul 12, 2010 Jame rated it it was amazing
Its like reading preview of various great works... Enjoyed various types of writing short fiction...
SmarterLilac
Feb 12, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it
I read this stellar collection in the backseat on a long car-trip to Berkeley. It definitely helped pass the time.
Alberteinsteinmaloney
Alberteinsteinmaloney rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Lulu
Lulu rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2009
Jimfrogs
Jimfrogs rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Klara
Klara rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2007
Jacquie Lyerly
Jacquie Lyerly rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2010
carolyn
carolyn rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Amy S
Amy S rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2008
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2007
  • The Best American Short Stories 2005
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Short Stories
  • Nice Big American Baby
  • The Best American Short Stories 1995
  • Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)
  • The Best American Short Stories 1990
  • The Best American Short Stories 1989
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave
  • I Am Not Jackson Pollock: Stories
  • The Weir and Other Plays
Laura J. Furman (born 1945) is an American author best known for her role as series editor for the O. Henry Awards prize story collection. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, Mirabella, Ploughshares, Southwest Review.

She has written three collections of stories (The Glass House, Watch Time Fly, and Drinking with the Cook), two novels (The Shadow Line and Tuxedo Park), and a memoir (Ordinary P
More about Laura Furman...