Start by marking “Keeping Keller” as Want to Read:
Keeping Keller

Keeping Keller

Keller is a force to be reckoned with!

The year is 1955, and few people understand or tolerate mental handicaps. For Beverly and Warren Vance, the daily struggle to live with their handicapped son, Keller, is taking its toll. Keller is large for his age and often aggressive, prone to throwing tantrums and breaking everything in sight. Beverly and Warren have been encourage

Published March 1st 2008 by Bonneville Books

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Keller

May 06, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I loved it, I love it, I loved it. I thought it was a wonderful book. I had it read in one sitting, I could not put it down. I was drawn into the characters and the struggles they had to go through with raising an mentally challenged child in the 50's. I thought it was very well written and thought out. Read it!!!!
Kim Jensen
Jun 11, 2008 Kim Jensen rated it it was amazing
This book shares the story of a couple in the 1950's who choose to keep and raise their Autistic son. This first time author pens a beautiful story that is to be shared with all.....
Amanda
Oct 08, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amanda by: Sarah
Due to a very reliable avid reader suggestion, I picked the book up at the library and started it immediately. I love the book and thought through the entire story that it was actual fact not fiction, but it wasn't a true story, just a novel based on actual events. That goes to show you how well the author write and how she got down to the nitty-gritty in facts.

It is amazing how ignorent the knowledge of handicaps was back in the 1950's. I feel so blessed to be in this day in age where we have t
K.
Jul 18, 2016 K. rated it really liked it
Set in Muncie, Indiana during the 1950s, this novel depicts how few resources existed for parents raising a child who has a disability. The school-aged boy in the book has a diagnosis of being "retarded," but his behavior is consistent with autism. The young couple in the book work to understand how to respond to their son's atypical behavior. Most of their friends and relatives judge them harshly--behind their backs or to their face. At this time in history, many parents placed their disabled c ...more
Jun 08, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
I thought this book was o.k. It was interesting to think that people put their kids in institutions for almost any disability from mental retardation, autism and even polio back in the 1950's. However, I thought this book really lacked with the husband - wife relationship and working through this difficulty together. The husband was quite oblivious and even after Keller is quite violent - they never discuss options for help his wife. It ends abruptly with Keller's parents picking him up after sp ...more
Kelly
Mar 04, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is well written, and I couldn't put it down. I played sick so that I could stay in bed and read it all day. I have spoken to several people dealing with autism in their families, and this book really touched them. It is like a support group that you can pick up and read. I think this book will make a difference in how we view and respond to those living with this every day. I hope it will make others develop more tolerance; it opened my eyes.
Tamara
Nov 29, 2008 Tamara rated it really liked it
Having grown up in the fifties, I could feel a sense of nostalgia for the time...Of course I was unaware of the need for special education for these special children, and the shameful way they and their families were often treated. I felt the book was fairly well written, sometimes the language seemed stilted, but again, probably realistic for the time. How wonderful that autism is so much better understood and treated today!
Heather
Feb 12, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Even though this book is by a small publisher and probably received very little editorial help, I was very impressed with the story. The author had a great voice, and while at times I was disliking the main character, I found myself admiring her at the end. There was quite a bit of head-hopping, but since it was consistent (for better or for worse) I didn't let it bother me.

The insights of the 1950's general reaction to a child with mental handicaps was wonderful and thought-provoking.
Teri
Jun 15, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know more about autism andjust loves a heartwarming story
Recommended to Teri by: Doug Johnston
I learned that through love, humor an d understanding, you can be a good parent to a special needs child, esp an autistic child who has no comprehension of right or wrong. Keller was a bright beacon of joy. Since I have good friends with 3 grandchildren with autism, I have a lot of empathy for Jeff, our former b ishop's second oldest son. This is m y 2nd novel about autism and I loved both books. I love boks like this that tug at the heartstrings.
Bravo Keller!!!
Sep 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
A very interesting novel. This book is based in the fifties, and their child suffers from autism, although because of the time period they are at, it doesn't go diagnosed. The story looks at how those with special needs were looked at, and how their families were shunned. The book reminds us that we have come a long way, but we could do a lot better.
Cindy Christiansen
Feb 08, 2012 Cindy Christiansen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Having two children with autism myself, the book holds a special place in my heart. Very well written and poignant. I loved the 1950s setting. Tracy did an excellent job with this book, so much so that I actually tried to contact her personally to share my feelings and emotions. This is one of my keepers.
Katie
Apr 26, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
I loved this book - beautifully written about a difficult subject - set in the 1950's, it's about a young couple's struggle with their mentally challenged son. Tracy Winegar did an amazing job, she captured everyone's challenges and emotions. I would definately recommend this!
Emily
Jun 01, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it was awesome that I was able to have her come to our bookclub for this book. Her story is definitly based on real life trials and I am happy to know her even more from this book. I would recommend it to all
Carol
Jun 04, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Very poignant and touching. I can identify with many of the emotions and situations in this book from personal experience. I would only recommend more humor in the story although I do know by experience that at the time a lot of the situations are not funny while happening.
MaKayle
Jun 26, 2008 MaKayle rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and was very impressed that Tracy wrote it! I learned a lot from it and have even more admiration for the parents of special needs children.
Beth
Jul 25, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
This is written my my cousin's wife and it is a very touching story about a woman raising a little boy with autism in the 1950's.
Stephanie Miles
Aug 06, 2008 Stephanie Miles rated it really liked it
This was a good book to read and it gave a very insightful look into raising a child with mental retardation in the 50's. This book dealt with the stresses on marriage, friendship, and family life.
Gregg Luke
Jul 17, 2008 Gregg Luke rated it it was amazing
A great story about 1950's society, misunderstood handicaps, and a mother's determination of love unconditionally. I loved this story.
Karrin
Sep 21, 2008 Karrin rated it liked it
This is a fascinating book about a difficult subject. It is amazing how much society has changed over the last 50 years. It is a quick, easy read.
Stephanie Humphreys
Apr 09, 2009 Stephanie Humphreys rated it really liked it
This book really opened my eyes to what it might have been like to live with a handicapped child when there wasn't the kind of social support there is now. I quite enjoyed the story.
Tracysheffield
May 01, 2008 Tracysheffield rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this was one down. It was such a touching portrayal of families dealing with childhood disabilities, in particular autism. Loved it!
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2008
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2008
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2008
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Bryn
Bryn rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
PrivateLibrary
PrivateLibrary rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2009
Sherilyn
Sherilyn rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Mareva
Mareva rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Tracy Winegar enjoys cooking and gardening in her leisure time. She loves all things vintage and considers several family heirlooms to be her prized possessions. She's also always on the lookout to score pieces to add to her growing Jadeite collection.

Tracy lives with her husband Benjamin and their four beautiful children in the Treasure Valley area of Idaho. Born and raised in the Midwest, her ph
More about Tracy Winegar...

“She remembered the day vividly, for how can you forget the day your heart is broken? The funny thing about a broken heart is that it's not fatal. Though you wish in vain that it were, life continues on and you have no choice but to continue on with it. You take the hand that fate has dealt you and you press forward because there is nothing else that can be done.” 121 likes