Start by marking “Invisible Fences (Cemetery Dance Novella, #19)” as Want to Read:
Invisible Fences (Cemetery Dance Novella, #19)

Invisible Fences (Cemetery Dance Novellas #19)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Invisible Fences (Cemetery Dance Novella Series #19)
by Norman Prentiss
About the Book:
Do you see the point of the story, Nathan? We all cut parts of ourselves away, but we never lose them. Things stay with us—souvenirs with memories attached. We can't always choose what to keep, what to throw away.

Nathan's parents devised cautionary tales for him and his sister—gruesome sto...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Cemetery Dance Publications (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Fences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Fences

William M.
4 AND 1/2 STARS

Invisible Fences reads like a timeless classic. Flawed but honest characters populate the story in a world that feels all too familiar. Childhood loss of innocence is balanced with the joy of exploration and the imagination of youth. The reader is sure to recognize some of the personalities within - whether they are family, friends, or people they knew from their neighborhood. It is this realistic tone and sensitivity that gives added weight to the final revelation, and is sure t...more
John
This is a difficult story to rate. I spent a good portion of it scratching my head, not because it's confusing or anything, but because I kept thinking "What's the point?". For the most part, INVISIBLE FENCES feels less like a story and more like a memoir. Then you hit the ending and discover a new dimension to the narrative, a dimension that satisfactorily ties up all the loose ends and takes the story to another level. Finally, I understood why this novella was published by a horror imprint li...more
Robin Edman
I started to give this book a lower rating because I found it painful to read. I can't say more without giving away the story of this beautifully-crafted novella ( and isn't it just wonderful that electronic bookselling is making it easy to sell and to buy novellas? They're just long enough to have the full buildup of suspense and just short enough to be free of anything but the things that are necessary.), and the story is where the real psychological punch in the face is to be found. So I'm no...more
Marvin
Four and a half stars.

This is one of those stories that transcends genre. While there is plenty of suspense and a touch of the supernatural, this is more of a character study of a family. It is beautifully structured to involve the reader and its novella length is perfect. Chalk down Norman Prentiss as an author to watch.
Justin
2.5 rounded down, this one kind of bored me. I kept expecting it to be building up to an awesome ending like slower books usually do and I was disappointed with the ending when I got there. I don't regret reading it but it's forgettable.
Josh
Mar 27, 2014 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Although this novella was published by Cemetery Dance, it reads more like contemporary or literary fiction than horror, at least until the last 20 pages or so. That said, the preceding pages are absolutely vital in setting up the conclusion.

The first half of the story looks at the childhoods of siblings Nathan and Pam. It’s set in a small town in the early ’70s, and it’s kind of a coming of age story, heavy on foreshadowing. In parts it brings to mind Stephen King’s classic The Body. The kids ar...more
Phil Zimmerman
What a great read. Norman Prentiss is impressing the hell out of me!

This is the story of Nathan and his family. The first 90% just reads like a memoir and then stuff gets real weird. Completely unexpected and one that leaves you scratching your head for many pages as you wonder, why is this a horror novel.

Touching, honest and very good!
Donald
This is a signed, advance review copy. An exclusive bonus for members of the 2008 Book Club. Cemetery Dance Publications has this slated for a December 2008 publication date.

I think I counted, like, six glitches. Mostly typos, an extra 's' at the end of a word. There was also one instance of 'stumble speak'.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. I like the revelatory pacing of the ending. It was an odd point of view shift, going from what sis heard to what Nathan saw while talking to sis. Interesting tre...more
Maryellen
This was not as much a horror novella as suspense, with an interesting twist. I was intrigued by the concept but the actual stories that were supposed to guide the novella didn't feel as powerful as the protagonist and his inner struggles.
Bruce
The horror doesn't surface in this novella until maybe three-quarters of the way through, but it's a very compelling read with fascinating characters and events regardless.
Benoît
a great novella about growing up (reminded me of Stephen King at his best) ; I highly recommend it.
Scott Harris
The story oozed melancholy sadness from beginning to end.
Timothy Youngs
Suttle horror story, great family study, loved it.
Lori Bartus
Not what I expected. Expected more but got less.
Paul Nelson
Paul Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Sep 28, 2014
Dmitri
Dmitri added it
Sep 23, 2014
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Mark Satton
Mark Satton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Amanda Niehaus-Hard
Amanda Niehaus-Hard marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Fleshless Man Four Legs in the Morning (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #9) Quiet House A Halloween Short Story The Narrator LampLight - Volume 2 Issue 1