I Love You Is Back

I Love You Is Back

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Award winning Nashville author, Derrick Brown, who has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and has been the opening act for rock bands by performing his poems (Cold War Kids and The White Stripes) released the new poetry collection, "I Love You Is Back" during his last book tour of Europe. With a large worldwide cult following, Brown has delivered ..".a heart crushi...more
Published January 5th 2006 by Write Bloody Publishing

Kevin
I met Derrick a couple of years ago when I was awkwardly invited to read at the Las Vegas Poetry Festival (I'm not making this up). My Vegas boyfriend said that DB was a cool heartthrob poet that melted hearts and he was right. Derrick mixes weird Beck-ish wordplay with romantic notions worthy of Neruda. It's a beautiful mess, a delicious stew, and a dangerous blast of power and language.

From "The Uncaptured Orchestra":
Most of the poets I know are fat girls on roller skates.

From "Kvinne":
How man...more
Write Bloody Publishing
“I love Derrick Brown for the surprise of one word waking up
next to another. One moment tender, funny or romantic, the
next, visceral, ironic and relevatory-here is the full chaos of
life. An amazing talent.
-Janet Fitch, Author of White Oleander

“He is probably America’s greatest unknown literary talents.
Derrick has blown honesty and humor into the darkness and
has somehow made poetry cool again.”
-NYLON MAGAZINE

“Derrick Brown has written one of the greatest love poems
ever written. He is on...more
Matthew L.
Aug 26, 2007 Matthew L. rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn what *not* to do
Shelves: poetry
My review is too long. Go look at here:

CLICK ME HARD!

2.12.07

In a nutshell, to quote myself:

"God I hope it's a vanity project . . . Read at your own peril. The peril of boredom and unwanted catatonia. Heavy handed? Maybe. But this book sucks. And not in a good way. That's my succinct and honest opinion. Sorry bubba. Oh and one more thing Derrick. Maybe stop writing about your drunken exploits as poetry. Bukowski you are not."
Brenna Clark
I can't say enough good things about Derrick Brown and his poetry. Since his appearance at a poetry clinic during my Freshman year of college, I've been infatuated with his unconventional style, wit, and use of the English language. Even if you don't consider yourself to be a massive poetry buff, I highly recommend picking up one of his books (I Love You Is Back has always been a favorite) - you won't be disappointed.
Rob Stauffer
I would say this is a very refreshing book of poetry. I've heard a lot of these poems performed live before, but it was nice to sit back and be able to take it at my own pace. I hope to take something away from Derrick's unbridled approach to figurative language.
Kara
Great & humourous one-liners!
Quick and easy read with the tone and irony of David Sedaris that mixes both depreciation, love, and the comedy of every day life.
Highly recommended.
Janet
Loved this enough, I even gave it a quote on the back cover. When middle-aged cynicism starts crawling into my heart, time to reread Derrick Brown.
James Patrick Schmidt
Sometimes it's the words, sometimes it's the sentiment, but there's always something beautiful to drag you into these poems.
Le Zap
Le Zap marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Angel - A
Angel - A marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Brit Hanson
Brit Hanson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Mercedes
Mercedes marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jacinda
Jacinda marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Caesaree
Caesaree marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Yesha
Yesha marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Derrick Brown, former paratrooper for the 82nd Airborne, gondolier, magician, and fired weatherman, now travels the world and performs his written work. From Long Beach, CA, he is dedicated to bringing American poetry into rock and roll status.

As a poet, he has toured or performed with Indie rock act, Cold War Kids, The Decemberists, Comedian David Cross, Richard Swift, Pink Mountaintops and at th...more
More about Derrick Brown...
Born in the Year of the Butterfly Knife Scandalabra Strange Light The Last American Valentine: Illustrated Poems to Seduce and Destroy If Lovin' You Is Wrong then I Don't Want To Be Wrong