Start by marking “Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)

Tempted By the Night (Marlowe #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A Secret Admirer . . .

They say he's a shameless rake who cares for nothing but pleasure, a rogue who spends his nights in London's lustiest locales, gambling and carousing until dawn. But Lady Hermione Marlowe refuses to believe that the handsome gentleman she's loved from afar for so long could be so wicked. If only she had a way to prove to the ton that Lord Rockhurst is...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Avon (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tempted By the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempted By the Night

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

If you had a magic ring and could make one wish, what would it be? Now imagine you are a typical regency miss secretly in love with a dashing rogue of a Lord and you get the wish…what now? Well, that’s pretty much the plot of “Tempted By The Night” by Elizabeth Boyle. This is her second book in the ‘Marlow’ series about a family who comes into possession of a magic ring that grants the holder one wish…then forces events to cause the wish to come...more
Katie(babs)
Elizabeth Boyle's latest historical, Tempted by the Night is a bit deceiving, especially by the cover. You would think this is a straight up historical romance. That is not the case. This is a historical paranormal romance and the next book in her Marlowe series about a very eccentric family who barely has any money and a mother who makes her children’s lives a bit crazy. Tempted by the Night is about Hermione Marlowe, the sister of Sebastian, who was the hero in His Mistress by Morning. If you...more
Leya
I was expecting a straight forward historical romance, but I got a little surprise...it's a paranormal as well. It does seem that more authors are jumping on the paranormal bandwagon, some I've been turned off by, but this one I was pleasantly surprised.

The characters are wonderful. Hermione/Shadow, the heroine is shy (at least with the hero), curious, funny and also has a very quick temper - she reminds me of someone!. Rockhurst, the hero, is considered to be a rake, but he has his own little m...more
Amy
I enjoyed this book. I usually do not like historical romance with elements of magic, but this one was an exception. The idea of becoming invisible at dusk every night was used well as a plot device.
Terri
Sep 29, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical readers
it keep me up all night to finish this book. it was very sweet story. enjoyable ..
Jocelyn

I loved this book! Just what I needed..... Humor
Akemi Joy
Supernatural and titillating. So much fun!
Victoria
To be honest, if I were to go by the synopsis alone, I would have passed this book by. But I have read the first book, and if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten to read this lovely love story. I wouldn't have seen another side to Lady Hermione's character, and I would not have learned Lord Rockhurst's extremely surprising secret. The synopsis isn't exactly on the mis-leading side, as it just plainly leaves a few key factors of the story out, which I greatly appreciated, because it made finding out...more
Mandy
I was excited to read Rockhurst’s story because I liked him so much from the first book in this series. Frankly, I liked him better than the hero in that book. In that book, there was a smattering of supernatural mixed in with the historical romance. So, I went along with it. However, in this book, Boyle really jumps the shark. I was born in the 80s so my super ancient husband had to explain that saying to me. :-) But, according to my understanding of the phrase, it’s an appropriate saying to ap...more
Lexie
I might have laughed at Rockhurst a bit more then one should. Not in a bad way mind you, but its simply hilarious that the man is so awesome in so many ways, yet sadly doesn't understand that showing up at society's biggest event of the week, Almack's, he just made himself the most sought after man in town. Not just from hell demons, oh no, much worse. Now every marriage-minded mama wanted a piece of him.

I quite enjoyed the exchanges between himself and his cousin Mary, an avowed bluestocking. O...more
Rishi Diams
This was a really good book. The characters were witty and engaging and their affection for each other seemed very real. The heroine comes off as a little silly at first - her attachment to her clothing is a persistent theme - but eventually she grows out of it. Despite liking this book, I have a big problem with the fact that every part of the book you'd read if you had just picked this book up off of a bookstore shelf said *NOTHING* about the fact that this book is a FANTASY historical romance...more
Georgie Rosehill
Dear fellow readers,

This was the second book that I read by Elizabeth Boyle. Having been thoroughly unsatisfied by the first novel "His Mistress by Morning", I have to say that this was a splendid improvement. Although some characters were still left lacking, the overall romance was present. The heroine was a spunky and as the first novel falling head over heels for the hero and the magical element intensifies with the hero being a god-like protector of London from the evils of derga and beings...more
Rox
This is so much better than the first one! I like the paranormal effect and while I cringe imagining Rockhurst having sex with an invisible woman, the overall story is sweet. I'm excited to read about Griffin's!
jackie frye
Lady Hermione Marlowe finds a magic ring, only she does not know it is magic. Hermione has had tender feelings for Lord Rockhurst for quite some time, only when she gets near him she becomes ill. Rockhurst has a terrible reputation but Hermione can not believe he is the reattribute the ton believes him to be. When she wishes to follow him at night and know all of his secrets the ring grants the wish. From sunset until sunrise she is invisible. She follows Rockhurst and discovers he spends his ni...more
Julie Martinez
Weird but good. Surprised by the paranormal aspect & the invisibility was strange.
Corey
This was not what I was expecting, but very good all the same.
LibrayDanielle
much better than the first.
Shelly
I thought that this book was really cute. I hated the first book in this series and didn't realize that this was the second book originally when I picked it up. I liked both Rockhurst and Hermione and found myself laughing a few times in the beginning of the book. It wasn't the perfect book, but it has been awhile since I have been able to read a book in a relatively short period of time like I did this one. As long as you are not expecting something realistic... it's a good book.
Nora
Very fun & playful. Lady Hermione Marlowe is in love with Lord Thomas Rockhurst & when she gets her hands on a magic ring she wishes that she would know all his secrets. Soooo, the ring turns her invisible from dusk until dawn every night. And enterprising minx that she is, she spends her nights following him around. Little does she know that he is England's protector from the forces of evil. And she gets a lot more from the man of her dreams than she ever expected.
Amanda Pomeroy
I LOVED THIS!!! I was so surprised, I haven't read too many historical romances that include the paranormal. The romance was adorable :) The only reason I gave it four stars was because I would've preferred a different name for the main character. Sorry! Every time they said Lady Hermoine, I thought of the girl from Harry Potter lol but don't let that stop you from reading this! It's a really good read.
Gail
In this book, the heroine gets a magic ring that grants her a wish. She wishes to be invisible so she can follow the hero and figure out what he's doing. He's a guardian of some sort, and the heroine helps him, and they fall in love--it's been a while since I read this, and really, what I remember about it is that it was a little silly, but a decent read.
Sharyn
I like Regency's and I like Paranormals, but the combination in this book just did not work for me-"Tempted by the night" by Elizabeth Boyle, who I usually like, wrote a book whose characters just made me want to hit them!! That Rockhurst could not tell that the Shadow was Hermione by her voice, scent or stupid vocabulary, sorry, just couldn't buy it.
Reading with Cats
Idiotic heroine
Overuse of the word "thusly"
If the nitwitted heroine used the word "jiminy" one more time, would've thrown the book against the wall
The train to WTF-ville left fairly early on in this one. Portals to other worlds? Monsters? Huh?!?!?!
Truly hateful heroine.
Not continuing this series.
Having read the first book, I was more prepared for this book not being a standard historical romance. Since I knew what to expect i was able to enjoy this more than the first. However, I do wish that Charlotte and Sebastian were in this book.
Joycee
My first paranormal ... but it wasn't so out there that it dominated the storyline or distracted me from the romance. Hints of Harry-Potter-land (Melaphor ~ Voldemort ... ? Plus, a heroine named Hermione ... ?!) abound ... in my opinion, anyway.
Tiff's*Addictiontobooks
I'm not usually one for the paranormal but this series has been a lot of fun to read. I really wish the author would have finished the series. The idea of Griffin now having the ring with his ideas of time travel would have made a great book.
Alisa Garate
There was a definite sci-fi vibe ...but not enough for the sci-fi section I guess. I really liked it but of course it was NOTHING like it was described. There's a whole thing with two fairy type people, evil beings and magic wishes....
Annii
There was nothing on the back of this book to make you think it was a paranormal romance, but it is. It's a historical paranormal romance, with earls and society misses fighting demons. Interesting idea, and Boyle pulls it off pretty well.
Tiffany
LADY HERMIONE MARLOWE LOVE THE HANDSOME LORD ROCKHURST FROM AFAR, AND WAS DETERMINE TO FIND OUT, JUST WHAT HE WAS UP TO. SHE DISCOVERED HIS SECRET AND AN UNDYING LOVE AND MARRIAGE TO THIS HANDSOME LORD!!!
Mary Vilarino
Started a little slowly but soon picked making it a hard book to put down. An intriguing blend of the supernatural, Shakespeare lore and fairy world mixed up in a Georgian world. I was a truly good read.
  • Hero, Come Back
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • The Perils of Pursuing a Prince (Desperate Debutantes, #2)
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • Before the Scandal (Notorious Gentlemen, #2)
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)
  • The Virgin's Secret
  • The Kiss (Widows Club, #2)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Too Scandalous to Wed (Too #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (Governess Brides, #2)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4) This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2) Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)