Start by marking “Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)

Tempted By the Night (Marlowe #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A Secret Admirer . . .

They say he's a shameless rake who cares for nothing but pleasure, a rogue who spends his nights in London's lustiest locales, gambling and carousing until dawn. But Lady Hermione Marlowe refuses to believe that the handsome gentleman she's loved from afar for so long could be so wicked. If only she had a way to prove to the ton that Lord Rockhurst is
Published August 26th 2008 by Avon (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tempted By the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempted By the Night

Daniella
description

When I picked up this book, I was expecting a story about a young miss, a normal misunderstood bloke and their very normal love story. I mean, that was what was said in the excerpt, right, so who was I to think differently? But boy, was I wrong. What I got was a completely ridiculous and confusing tale with invisibility spells, gore, and a list of jargons that were barely explained. "Paratus", "Melaphor", "derga"? WHAT? You know, I could have been more forgiving if the writer had only bothered t
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

If you had a magic ring and could make one wish, what would it be? Now imagine you are a typical regency miss secretly in love with a dashing rogue of a Lord and you get the wish…what now? Well, that’s pretty much the plot of “Tempted By The Night” by Elizabeth Boyle. This is her second book in the ‘Marlow’ series about a family who comes into possession of a magic ring that grants the holder one wish…then forces events to cause the wish to come
Katie(babs)
Elizabeth Boyle's latest historical, Tempted by the Night is a bit deceiving, especially by the cover. You would think this is a straight up historical romance. That is not the case. This is a historical paranormal romance and the next book in her Marlowe series about a very eccentric family who barely has any money and a mother who makes her children’s lives a bit crazy. Tempted by the Night is about Hermione Marlowe, the sister of Sebastian, who was the hero in His Mistress by Morning. If you ...more
Leya
I was expecting a straight forward historical romance, but I got a little surprise...it's a paranormal as well. It does seem that more authors are jumping on the paranormal bandwagon, some I've been turned off by, but this one I was pleasantly surprised.

The characters are wonderful. Hermione/Shadow, the heroine is shy (at least with the hero), curious, funny and also has a very quick temper - she reminds me of someone!. Rockhurst, the hero, is considered to be a rake, but he has his own little m
Amy
I enjoyed this book. I usually do not like historical romance with elements of magic, but this one was an exception. The idea of becoming invisible at dusk every night was used well as a plot device.
Terri
Sep 29, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical readers
it keep me up all night to finish this book. it was very sweet story. enjoyable ..
Sashi
For a start this is my first reading for this author and to my surprise I found it very addicting from the mid point of the story. Thomas our hero and Hermione our heroin did really make me giggle and drive me crazy with anticipation.

Although its illogical to make love with an invisible person still it did not let the romance part diminish. I really like the way they loved.. so I just pretend they both are normal people in love.

I really like the writing style and its a pleasure reading this book
Jocelyn

I loved this book! Just what I needed..... Humor
Akemi Joy
Supernatural and titillating. So much fun!
Victoria
To be honest, if I were to go by the synopsis alone, I would have passed this book by. But I have read the first book, and if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten to read this lovely love story. I wouldn't have seen another side to Lady Hermione's character, and I would not have learned Lord Rockhurst's extremely surprising secret. The synopsis isn't exactly on the mis-leading side, as it just plainly leaves a few key factors of the story out, which I greatly appreciated, because it made finding out ...more
Mandy
I was excited to read Rockhurst’s story because I liked him so much from the first book in this series. Frankly, I liked him better than the hero in that book. In that book, there was a smattering of supernatural mixed in with the historical romance. So, I went along with it. However, in this book, Boyle really jumps the shark. I was born in the 80s so my super ancient husband had to explain that saying to me. :-) But, according to my understanding of the phrase, it’s an appropriate saying to ap ...more
Lexie
I might have laughed at Rockhurst a bit more then one should. Not in a bad way mind you, but its simply hilarious that the man is so awesome in so many ways, yet sadly doesn't understand that showing up at society's biggest event of the week, Almack's, he just made himself the most sought after man in town. Not just from hell demons, oh no, much worse. Now every marriage-minded mama wanted a piece of him.

I quite enjoyed the exchanges between himself and his cousin Mary, an avowed bluestocking. O
Rishi Diams
This was a really good book. The characters were witty and engaging and their affection for each other seemed very real. The heroine comes off as a little silly at first - her attachment to her clothing is a persistent theme - but eventually she grows out of it. Despite liking this book, I have a big problem with the fact that every part of the book you'd read if you had just picked this book up off of a bookstore shelf said *NOTHING* about the fact that this book is a FANTASY historical romance ...more
Farah
well I never guest that this book ia a historycal/paranormal story. so when I read the second chapter its kinda ....wait...wait she's being invisible and only this lady who can sees her, but I really enjoy it. but i cannot imagine how you making love with some one that cannot be seen??? without any light shoud do... hehehehe.
Georgie Rosehill
Dear fellow readers,

This was the second book that I read by Elizabeth Boyle. Having been thoroughly unsatisfied by the first novel "His Mistress by Morning", I have to say that this was a splendid improvement. Although some characters were still left lacking, the overall romance was present. The heroine was a spunky and as the first novel falling head over heels for the hero and the magical element intensifies with the hero being a god-like protector of London from the evils of derga and beings
Rox
This is so much better than the first one! I like the paranormal effect and while I cringe imagining Rockhurst having sex with an invisible woman, the overall story is sweet. I'm excited to read about Griffin's!
jackie frye
Lady Hermione Marlowe finds a magic ring, only she does not know it is magic. Hermione has had tender feelings for Lord Rockhurst for quite some time, only when she gets near him she becomes ill. Rockhurst has a terrible reputation but Hermione can not believe he is the reattribute the ton believes him to be. When she wishes to follow him at night and know all of his secrets the ring grants the wish. From sunset until sunrise she is invisible. She follows Rockhurst and discovers he spends his ni ...more
Normalene
I liked this one as much as I liked the first one. I loved the idea of an ongoing family of Protectors and using the ring as a way for Hermione to learn of it was very cool.
June
Aug 07, 2015 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical/romance with fairies
Hermione Marlowe finds a ring and an improvident wish has her turning invisible from sunset to sunrise. She ends up following Lord Rockhurst and entanglements follow...
Julie Martinez
Weird but good. Surprised by the paranormal aspect & the invisibility was strange.
Corey
This was not what I was expecting, but very good all the same.
Kathy
One of my favorites. Keeper.
LibraryDanielle
much better than the first.
Shelly
I thought that this book was really cute. I hated the first book in this series and didn't realize that this was the second book originally when I picked it up. I liked both Rockhurst and Hermione and found myself laughing a few times in the beginning of the book. It wasn't the perfect book, but it has been awhile since I have been able to read a book in a relatively short period of time like I did this one. As long as you are not expecting something realistic... it's a good book.
Nora
Very fun & playful. Lady Hermione Marlowe is in love with Lord Thomas Rockhurst & when she gets her hands on a magic ring she wishes that she would know all his secrets. Soooo, the ring turns her invisible from dusk until dawn every night. And enterprising minx that she is, she spends her nights following him around. Little does she know that he is England's protector from the forces of evil. And she gets a lot more from the man of her dreams than she ever expected.
Amanda Pomeroy
I LOVED THIS!!! I was so surprised, I haven't read too many historical romances that include the paranormal. The romance was adorable :) The only reason I gave it four stars was because I would've preferred a different name for the main character. Sorry! Every time they said Lady Hermoine, I thought of the girl from Harry Potter lol but don't let that stop you from reading this! It's a really good read.
Gail
In this book, the heroine gets a magic ring that grants her a wish. She wishes to be invisible so she can follow the hero and figure out what he's doing. He's a guardian of some sort, and the heroine helps him, and they fall in love--it's been a while since I read this, and really, what I remember about it is that it was a little silly, but a decent read.
Sharyn
I like Regency's and I like Paranormals, but the combination in this book just did not work for me-"Tempted by the night" by Elizabeth Boyle, who I usually like, wrote a book whose characters just made me want to hit them!! That Rockhurst could not tell that the Shadow was Hermione by her voice, scent or stupid vocabulary, sorry, just couldn't buy it.
Reading with Cats
Idiotic heroine
Overuse of the word "thusly"
If the nitwitted heroine used the word "jiminy" one more time, would've thrown the book against the wall
The train to WTF-ville left fairly early on in this one. Portals to other worlds? Monsters? Huh?!?!?!
Truly hateful heroine.
Not continuing this series.
  • Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • Before the Scandal (Notorious Gentlemen, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3)
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • After Midnight (Cabot, #1)
  • A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2)
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)
  • Hero, Come Back
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • Seduced by Sin
  • The Runaway Princess (Princess #1)
  • Vexing the Viscount (Leisure Historical Romance)
  • The Kiss (Widows Club, #2)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Madame's Deception (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bridal Quest (The Matchmaker #2)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Marlowe (2 books)
  • His Mistress By Morning (Marlow, #1)
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4) And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)