Popcorn

Popcorn (Baby Bear)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Sam Bear invites his friends to an impromptu Halloween party and asks them to bring a treat.
Published February 8th 1990 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 1979)

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
33rd out of 217 books — 227 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My Favorite Childhood books
132nd out of 447 books — 304 voters

More lists with this book...

Claire
Great story behind why I adore this book. So the doctors office I went to as a child had this book in the waiting room and EVERY time I went to the doctor's office, I HAD to read this. I even read it as I got too old to read these sorts of books. Then one visit, it was gone! And I was devastated! Years went by and one day my mom found it at a garage sale and bought it for me. SO EXCITED! Great story!
Lynda
This is one of those books that I loved as a child and searched and searched for as an adult. I finally found my copy at a local used bookstore and I was thrilled. Yes, it was as good as I remembered! Loved the illustrations and all of the different costumes the bears wear to the party.
Karen
this was one of my favorite books as a child. i have such fond memories of reading this with my mother and brother. it is also probably to blame for my current obsession with popcorn.
Wendy
Feb 29, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Iris
Shelves: picturebooks
We read this over and over again when we were kids. I love the charming illustrations, and the story was the height of humor to 3-6 year olds.
Alex Konieczny
This is the ultimate hangover parable.
"I would eat popcorn like in this book." -Ryan
Nicole D'Amato
This was my FAVORITE book as a kid. I've loved popcorn for as long as I can remember. My grandma taught me how to cook it in a pot with oil and kernels at a young age. This book reminds me of those times. The illustrations are lovely and the idea of an entire room filled with popcorn still tugs at my heart and imagination strings. One day when and if I have a little one of my own, this book will be in heavy rotation for bedtime storytime!
meg
i used to love the frank asch bear stories but somehow i'd never seen this one growing up. but it was one of neal's childhood favorites, so i brought a copy home from the library to share. we read it together today to get in the halloween spirit and it was kind of the best thing ever. i only wish the halloween parties i go to now would live up to it. gotta get us our own copy of this one!
Kelsey
This book is about a little bear that has a costume party and everyone brings popcorn to the party. When they pop all of the popcorn, it goes everywhere and they have to eat their way out. I would use this book around Halloween time and even have popcorn for the kids to eat for a snack after reading the book or even during.
Kim
Apr 03, 2012 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids, fall
This was one of my favorite books growing up, and I have the same copy to share with my kids and they love it! It is an out-of-the-ordinary story your could share around Halloween since the story takes place at a costume party. I love it and have always wondered how much popcorn it would take to fill a house!
Polly
This is one of three books that I identify very strongly with doctor's waiting rooms. I swear every doctor I saw before the age of six had this, The Snow Lion, and the book about the ant in the duck's kitchen, the name of which I can't remember at the moment, although I think it's by Robert Quackenbush.
Kelly Whelchel
Fiction

One of my all time favorite books.

Read during Halloween. Have students dress up in costumes and pop popcorn the old fashion ways. Teach the stages of popcorn. Also talk to the children about how he made a mistake by bring over his friends without his parents permission.

jacky
My doctor's office had this book. I probably won't have remembered it, but another teacher showed me a copy of it a few weeks ago and I totally had a strong flashback (I wish it had a picture of the cover). I used to read this book every week as I waited for my allergy shots.
Susan
Memories of childhood flutter through my brain as I read this childhood favorite. This young bear is left alone on Halloween. When he decides to invite over a few friends, he doesn't expect the house to overflow. A great book to read aloud to children!
Mary
Sam celebrates Halloween with a costume party and all the guests bring popcorn. A classic Halloween favorite with amusing illustrations and a humorous ending. A great read-aloud, especially for preschool students.
Dacia
Aug 13, 2008 Dacia rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All Parents and Children
Recommended to Dacia by: I guess my mom... she read it to me
While not quite as good as "Milk and Cookies" this was one of my favorite books as a pre-schooler. It's just plain fun! I still think sometimes, when I visualize a space, what it would look like filled with Popcorn!
Becca
The magic in this book is all for the kids...thinking of what it would be like if your entire house was filled with popcorn! (a mother's nightmare!) This is a family favorite.
Baby Isabel
Sep 23, 2011 Baby Isabel marked it as to-read
Donna: This was one of my niece, Isabel's, favorites. She wanted it almost every night for months. Even seeing the cover cracks me up because you just know what's going to happen!
Carol Millward
It is so much fun to read Popcorn to a group of preschool children--especially when you serve popcorn for snack! They love it! It's now a favorite of my grandchildren as well!
Julie Leggett
i loved, loved, loved this book when i was little, but couldn't remember the name. thank god i found it...what's better than a house with popcorn from floor to ceiling?!?
Becky
This is one of those favorite books from childhood that "pops" with nostalgia. It's great for the child with a wonderful imagination and all of the "what-if" questions.
Elyse
Best book EVER! Still have my childhood copy! (Quite possibly an opinion based solely on my happy memories while reading this book over and over again as a kid...)
Derek Toombs
Mar 02, 2008 Derek Toombs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyoe who can read
Recommended to Derek by: mom
i read this book like it was my job when i was little, it was my absolute favorite, i still own it. i wont ruin the end for you but its brilliant!
Devon
I found this when searching for another book today for mt son! I used to love this book when I was a child! Can't wait to buy and share with him
Cassie
I read this as a child and now my little boy loves it. Sometimes he'll put something over his head and yell, "Who turned out the lights?
"
Judy
We loved this book! I can't possibly count how many times we read it, but I still remember some of it, and that was quite a few years ago...
Kimikimi
Read this when I was little (or more likely had it read to me). I hope I can find a copy to read to my kids in the future.
Ashley
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Genre: Fiction, Halloween
Themes: Teamwork, Animals, Family
Uses: Casual reading for comprehension
KristaCorinne
Favorite book from childhood. Can you imagine that much popcorn? Yum!!! I have it on the bookshelf for my daughter.
Kindra
This was my very favorite book when I was little. I learned how to read with this book! Wow, it brings back memories!
Sharper1
I swear I read this one as a kid. It looked very familiar, so I read it again. Cute. Predictable, but cute.
  • But No Elephants
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • Mortimer
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • Arthur Goes to Camp (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • The Biggest Pumpkin Ever
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo...more
More about Frank Asch...
Happy Birthday, Moon Mooncake Bearshadow (Moonbear) Star Jumper: Journal of a Cardboard Genius Mr. Maxwell's Mouse