Spying on Miss Muller

Spying on Miss Muller

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"A GOOD STORY WELL TOLD . . . Bunting shows the confusion and hysteria that wartime brings to the lives of the young, and in the process paints a true-to-life and often very funny picture of boarding school life in a more innocent era."
--Kirkus Reviews
Jessie and her best friends in boarding school have always loved their teacher, Miss Müller. Half-German and half-Irish, sh...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Fawcett (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Spying on Miss Muller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spying on Miss Muller

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Boarding School Stories
185th out of 400 books — 539 voters
Number the Stars by Lois LowryNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneSarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
8th Grade Holocaust Literature
9th out of 39 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex Baugh
I always enjoy a good school story and Eve Bunting's somewhat autobiographical novel Spying on Miss Müller is not exception. It is 1941 and Jessie Drumm, 13, and her friends Lizzie Mag (really Elizabeth Margaret after the English princesses), Ada and Maureen all attend the co-ed Alveara boarding school in Belfast, Northern Ireland. And so far, the war has not affected them much. Still, it doesn't prevent them from convincing themselves that their formerly favorite German teacher, Miss Müller, is...more
Ann
I really just did not enjoy this book. Maybe it was because it differed from how I interpretted the summary. It says Jesse goes snooping to prove Miss Muller's innocence, but she was just as judgemental as the rest of the students. And how she said stuff like, "I would feel sorry for her if she weren't a Nazi," that just grated on my nerves. I feel sorry for Miss Muller. Having lost her job and love because of some nosy little brats who have no respect for their superiors. And what Jesse said at...more
Clara
The only part I remember was something about there being dead baby chicks in eggs. I think of it every time I make eggs...
Rachel Bailey
Spying on Miss Muller is a mystery about a girl named Jessie that goes to a boarding school in Belfast. Her German teacher, Miss Muller, climbs the stairs to an off limits place, and Jessie was spying on her. Readers think that Miss Muller was a Nazi agent. Later on that night, an air raid comes to Belfast and hits their school. Jessie tries to prove Miss
Muller's innocence. Jessie's friends, Ada and Maureen, try to prove that Miss Muller is guilty.

I would agree with Ada and Maureen because Mis...more
kimia
Most of the boarders at the Alveara school had fathers, brothers, uncles serving in the army or the Royal Air Force. My faviorite cousin, Bryan, was in the army fighting Germans somewhere in France. Bryan was like a brother to me, since i didnt have a brother, or a sister either. Now he was in danger, and here we were with Miss Muller, a half German, the dorm mistress in our dormitory.
"We;re contaminated," Ada Sinclair said.
Secretly I didnt think we were contaminated. I still liked Miss Muller...more
Kricket
this is a book i read over and over in middle school, wishing that i too could attend a boarding school in ireland during the world war 2. i may or may not have even written some fan fiction about ian and jessie. i don't know, it's possible.

reading it as an adult, the prejudice against half-german miss muller is much more disturbing. when i was young, that part of the plot always took the back burner to jessie hanging out in her cubie with her friends, dreaming about ian mcmanus.
Kristine Pratt
I finished this book yesterday but it has stuck with me. This story is deep on so many levels. I think I find myself reading three stars because it disturbs me so much. The idea of what happens when mob thinking takes over. What fear and paranoia will do to you. More than that what fear and paranoia does to people around you. I'm left unsettled after reading this book. Maybe I should read it higher, but I can't seem to right now.
Lisa the Librarian
A great reminder about the dangers of wartime hysteria and prejudice.

I liked the variety of characters of the girls in the dorm and how their personalities are distinct and varied. Each reacts to the current situation based on personality and life experience.

Powerful message
Bea
Set in Belfast, Ireland during WWII, this book shows how prejudgement and peer pressure can affect personal opinion and rash action. Doesn't deal with the war, just a limited view of a boarding school.
Mary
Simple YA story about panic and shunning in a boarding school in N Ireland in WWII when one of the teachers, who is half German, is found to have a father who is a Nazi soldier.
Liz Schuster
Nov 23, 2008 Liz Schuster rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
The only part I didn't like about this book was that there wasn't more to it. If it had been a little longer, I think it would have been better
Flynn Meaney
One of my favorite YA books EVER! Love the historical setting and the twists and suspense in the story.
Alyssa
One of my favorite childhood books...I should give it another read as an adult and see what I make of it!
Erin O.
I loved this book when I read it in elementary school. Good historical fiction.
Farrelli
my cousin gave this to me and i adore it!!
Tori
An interesting story. Kind of sad.
Lady Jane Grey
Loved this in seventh grade!
Cws
JAR4-Bun
Blythe
Blythe added it
Jul 25, 2014
Lirael
Lirael marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: Irish Girls Boarding School [s] 5 45 Feb 25, 2014 01:58AM
19126
Eve Bunting is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “There used to be Shanachies… the shanachie was a storyteller who went from house to ho...more
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Flower Garden