Start by marking “Spying on Miss Muller” as Want to Read:
Spying on Miss Muller

Spying on Miss Muller

Jessie and her best friends in boarding school have always loved their teacher, Miss Müller. Half-German and half-Irish, she's as beautiful as a movie star. But ever since their country, Ireland, went to war with Germany, they don't feel the same way. In fact, the girls now think there's something very strange about Miss Müller.
One night Jessie sees Miss Müller walking by
Published September 1st 1996 by Fawcett (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Spying on Miss Muller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spying on Miss Muller

Annina Luck
Aug 05, 2015 Annina Luck rated it really liked it
This, to me, is classic Middle Grade literature: not too long, great plot, and vivid characters. It takes place in a boarding school outside of Belfast during WW II where four girls begin to suspect that their German teacher, Miss Müller, is a spy for the Germans. There are also a few excellent subplots, especially one where one of these girls, Jessie, comes to terms with her father's alcoholism.

A beautifully written book!
Alex Baugh
Nov 07, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
I always enjoy a good school story and Eve Bunting's somewhat autobiographical novel Spying on Miss Müller is not exception. It is 1941 and Jessie Drumm, 13, and her friends Lizzie Mag (really Elizabeth Margaret after the English princesses), Ada and Maureen all attend the co-ed Alveara boarding school in Belfast, Northern Ireland. And so far, the war has not affected them much. Still, it doesn't prevent them from convincing themselves that their formerly favorite German teacher, Miss Müller, is ...more
Ann
Nov 06, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really just did not enjoy this book. Maybe it was because it differed from how I interpretted the summary. It says Jesse goes snooping to prove Miss Muller's innocence, but she was just as judgemental as the rest of the students. And how she said stuff like, "I would feel sorry for her if she weren't a Nazi," that just grated on my nerves. I feel sorry for Miss Muller. Having lost her job and love because of some nosy little brats who have no respect for their superiors. And what Jesse said at ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I remember this book from my elementary school. It was extremely well-written, taking a profound, complicated issue and making it easier for younger readers to understand, while at the same time teaching an important lesson about trust, companionship and loyalty.
Clara
Jan 31, 2009 Clara rated it it was ok
The only part I remember was something about there being dead baby chicks in eggs. I think of it every time I make eggs...
Lauren
Feb 18, 2016 Lauren rated it it was ok
Meh
Ellen E. Baldwin (Quest Reviews)
When I was a kid, I'd go to the library with those big L.L. Bean bags and just scoop books off the shelves and into the totes. I didn't even bother looking at the titles half the time; I wanted to read every book in the library. As it turns out, I found many a gem by that practice, and Eve Bunting's historical middle grade, Spying on Miss Muller is one such book.

The story follows a young girl named Jessie, who goes to boarding school in London (edit: Belfast) during World War II. The novel start
Rachel Bailey
Spying on Miss Muller is a mystery about a girl named Jessie that goes to a boarding school in Belfast. Her German teacher, Miss Muller, climbs the stairs to an off limits place, and Jessie was spying on her. Readers think that Miss Muller was a Nazi agent. Later on that night, an air raid comes to Belfast and hits their school. Jessie tries to prove Miss
Muller's innocence. Jessie's friends, Ada and Maureen, try to prove that Miss Muller is guilty.

I would agree with Ada and Maureen because Mis
kimia
Mar 12, 2007 kimia rated it it was amazing
Most of the boarders at the Alveara school had fathers, brothers, uncles serving in the army or the Royal Air Force. My faviorite cousin, Bryan, was in the army fighting Germans somewhere in France. Bryan was like a brother to me, since i didnt have a brother, or a sister either. Now he was in danger, and here we were with Miss Muller, a half German, the dorm mistress in our dormitory.
"We;re contaminated," Ada Sinclair said.
Secretly I didnt think we were contaminated. I still liked Miss Muller
Hailey
Oct 10, 2014 Hailey rated it it was ok
I thought this book was okay. This book was hard for me to get into and it was very slow. It was hard for me to finish, because it wasn't interesting. I recomend this novel to anyone who likes historical fiction.

The story started before World War II began. Jessie and her friends at Alveara boarding school in Belfast liked their German teacher, Miss Muller. After Jessie sees the teacher climbing to the roof at night, she and the others wonder if Miss Muller is a secret agent. Hoping to prove her
Adaline Griffiths
Feb 10, 2016 Adaline Griffiths rated it really liked it
In the book Spying on Miss Muller, Jessie is a young girl at a boarding school set during World War 2. Jessie and her friends have always loved Miss Muller, their German teacher who is half-German herself. But after the war started feelings change. Miss Muller has to deal with comments and with rude looks. Jessie doesn't know how to feel about Miss Muller. But then one night Jessie sees Miss Muller alone sneaking up the corridor with a flashlight. That same night there is a bomb raid. Could ther ...more
Kricket
this is a book i read over and over in middle school, wishing that i too could attend a boarding school in ireland during the world war 2. i may or may not have even written some fan fiction about ian and jessie. i don't know, it's possible.

reading it as an adult, the prejudice against half-german miss muller is much more disturbing. when i was young, that part of the plot always took the back burner to jessie hanging out in her cubie with her friends, dreaming about ian mcmanus.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 12, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
I finished this book yesterday but it has stuck with me. This story is deep on so many levels. I think I find myself reading three stars because it disturbs me so much. The idea of what happens when mob thinking takes over. What fear and paranoia will do to you. More than that what fear and paranoia does to people around you. I'm left unsettled after reading this book. Maybe I should read it higher, but I can't seem to right now.
Bookworm
Feb 06, 2015 Bookworm rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-care-for
What could have been a interesting story about some girls at a boarding school in N. Ireland, turned out to be pretty trashy. lots of reference to immoral living/places, and descriptive in things that really gave it a crude feel, plus situations that weren't good. Did not even get very far into the book before I stopped.
Lisa the Librarian
Jun 28, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it
A great reminder about the dangers of wartime hysteria and prejudice.

I liked the variety of characters of the girls in the dorm and how their personalities are distinct and varied. Each reacts to the current situation based on personality and life experience.

Powerful message
Megan Green
Apr 28, 2015 Megan Green rated it liked it
Shelves: t-and-l-307
This is a story about a group of girls who attend a boarding school during the war. They are convinced that their German teacher Miss Muller is a spy and sending the German’s messages. You could use this book to teach about the war, and what some children their age were going through at this time.
Bea
Sep 05, 2012 Bea rated it really liked it
Set in Belfast, Ireland during WWII, this book shows how prejudgement and peer pressure can affect personal opinion and rash action. Doesn't deal with the war, just a limited view of a boarding school.
Flynn Meaney
Feb 17, 2012 Flynn Meaney rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite YA books EVER! Love the historical setting and the twists and suspense in the story.
Eli Schuster
Nov 23, 2008 Eli Schuster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
The only part I didn't like about this book was that there wasn't more to it. If it had been a little longer, I think it would have been better
Alyssa
Jul 22, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood books...I should give it another read as an adult and see what I make of it!
Mary
Oct 23, 2007 Mary rated it liked it
Simple YA story about panic and shunning in a boarding school in N Ireland in WWII when one of the teachers, who is half German, is found to have a father who is a Nazi soldier.
elstaffe
elstaffe rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Nov 26, 2016
Cws
JAR4-Bun
Jennifer Abraham
Jennifer Abraham rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Erin O.
Jun 04, 2011 Erin O. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ya-fiction
I loved this book when I read it in elementary school. Good historical fiction.
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Alyce
Alyce rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: Irish Girls Boarding School [s] 5 49 Feb 24, 2014 04:58PM
  • The Borrowed House
  • Greater Than Angels
  • The Escape from Home (Beyond the Western Sea #1)
  • Anne Frank and Me
  • Torn Thread
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • Twenty Pageants Later
  • Forty Days (Neima's Ark, #1)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • The Kid in the Red Jacket
  • A Time Apart
  • Confessions from the Principal's Chair
  • Nowhere to Call Home
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...