Start by marking “From Curries to Kebabs: Recipes from the Indian Spice Trail” as Want to Read:
From Curries to Kebabs: Recipes from the Indian Spice Trail

From Curries to Kebabs: Recipes from the Indian Spice Trail

From one of the world's best-loved authorities on food from India and the world comes an evocative and irresistible survey of the world's great curry dishes.
Published November 4th 2003 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about From Curries to Kebabs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Curries to Kebabs

The New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia RodenMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanSundays at Moosewood Restaurant by Carolyn B. MitchellOlive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks
Best Ethnic Cookbooks
90th out of 208 books — 129 voters
The Modern Balti Cookbook by Pat ChapmanComplete Curry Cookbook by Byron AyanogluFish, Indian Style by Atul KochharBalti Cooking by Shehzad HusainStreet Food of India by Sephi Bergerson
Indian Cookbooks
15th out of 23 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Celeste
Jun 01, 2010 Celeste rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
This is almost an anthropology cookbook, showing how Indian cuisine has spread to many countries, and adapted to local ingredients and tastes. I grew up on African curries, and was happy to see my old familiar potato and pea curry in here (not that I need a recipe for that one). British, SE Asian, Sri Lankan, Pakistani recipes - as well as many classical Indian dishes. I've only made one recipe yet, and it was yum. I look forward to making many more. I'm deducting one star for a relative profusi ...more
Jen Shapiro
Apr 14, 2015 Jen Shapiro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, read-2015
Seriously great cookbook! Madhur Jaffrey does a lovely job of detailing the history and development of curries throughout Asia and eastern Africa. Then, she follows it up with page after page of great recipes!
Angela
Jan 27, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
An awesome cookbook. I would use it all the time, if not for the fact that most of the people I cook for cannot stand spices of any sort.

Despite that, it is a great read, and the photography tantalizing and illustrative.
Wog
Jan 14, 2013 Wog rated it it was amazing
Great recipes but amazing history of India, the Indian diaspora and food history and culture. Checked out from the library and ordered my own copy to keep. Highly recommend it.
Hannah
Feb 24, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who read cookbooks over breakfast
Shelves: cookbooks, india
This is a great culinary lens for learning about Indian migration. I don't make a lot of these recipes, but the photos are beautiful and the copy is fascinating.
Julian
Nov 18, 2007 Julian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Punchy collection - lots of intensely flavored dishes gathered together. It's the kind of book you can jump into at random and know you'll get something impressive.
Jan 08, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I checked this out from the library not expecting much-- there are so many recipes in here I would like to cook! I am going to buy a copy ASAP.
John-Fig
Trace the tastes you love in Indian/SE Asian/African to one and another and beyond; incredible for understanding the foundations of the flavor.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
excellent book, with alot of good information in addition to the recipes--and alot of lamb recipes
Amy Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2013 Amy Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Very interesting as a history of spices as well as delicious recipes.
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Wandering Reader
Wandering Reader rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Meharban Singh
Meharban Singh rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Roukaya
Roukaya rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Cristy
Cristy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
May 02, 2016
Alexandra Gardner
Alexandra Gardner rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Licoricesmith
Licoricesmith rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Kokkula Monika
Kokkula Monika marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Dan Kane
Dan Kane marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Dagmar
Dagmar marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Alen
Alen marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Tania Wilson
Tania Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...