John Caldigate

John Caldigate

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Something more than a month had gone by, and John Caldigate and Mrs. Smith were very close companions. This had not been effected without considerable opposition, partly on the part of Shand, and partly by the ship's inhabitants generally. The inhabitants of the ship were inimical to Mrs. Smith. She was a woman who had no friends; and the very female who had first appeared...more
Published July 5th 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1879)

David
This was one of the last Trollope novels I read. I had put it pretty far down on my to-read list because I thought it was another of his Australian novels, and experience had taught me that whenever Trollope strayed from England as his setting, even to Ireland, his work slipped a notch or two. I was wrong on two counts. First, very little of the novel takes place in Australia. Second, the Australian scenes are well done.

John Caldigate is an Englishman, from a good family, comfortably off but not...more
Margaret
Interesting plot involving possible bigamy (Trollope does do trials well), but slightly boring characters. I did love the enthusiastic Post Office clerk whose evidence was key to the trial, being as Trollope himself was employed by the Post Office for a long time, and there's a lovely defense of government workers:

"The popular newspaper, the popular member of Parliament, and the popular novelist, — the name of Charles Dickens will of course present itself to the reader who remembers the Circumlo...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 27, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trollope fans and lovers of classic novels...
Shelves: trollope, 2013-reads
As a young man, John Caldigate lives a comfortable life and in time, decides to go to Australia and get involved in the mining industry. He does this and is quite successful, but, some mishaps occur along the way. He meets an attractive woman and though warned about her still becomes involved with her, his friend and partner who becomes a heavy drinker soon goes his own way, after returning home quite well off he gets married and is charged for bigamy, and worst of all he must endure a tedious t...more
Mitchell
This is the 23rd novel by Trollope that I have read. I must say that it is one of my favorites. It was amazingly compelling. The 615 pages flew by.

What is interesting here is that in most of Trollope's long novels there is usually a somewhat involved sub-plot and that is what usually accounts for the length. Not here. This book is purely about John Caldigate, a classic Trollope Hobbledehoy, and his woes.

It features the things I have come to love about Trollope: rich, surprising but inevitable...more
Cormac
Aug 04, 2008 Cormac rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: confirmed Trollope lovers
The best part of this novel are the Australian scenes, told with gusto and plenty of local color. The main plot - Caldigate’s trial and conviction for bigamy (and subsequent pardon and release) - drags a bit in its telling; yet it has some very good characterization. Mrs. Bolton’s puritanical fanaticism (which is perhaps over-done) stands in contrast to the dominant Victorian morality which would see wickedness as only truly wicked if it is brought to the public notice.
The highlight of the book...more
Robert J
This little known Trollope novel is actually one of his best. The plot keeps rolling along, exquisitely described as usual, with some unusual twists and turns. Crooked miners, gold-diggers (literally), fevered fundamentalists, lovely innocents, stout-hearted friends, a conspiring brother-in-law, the usual contrast between stupid and smart clergymen, and a reconciled father and son - all part of this worthwhile Victorian read. If you're a Trollope fan, this is a must-read.
Dominick
An interesting book, especially for its time, given the importance given to common-law marriage, but it seems to be poorly thought-out, suffering from inconsistencies and from a curious failure on Trollope's part to psychologize his characters as fully as normal. Nevertheless, there is some very good work here.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
I thought this was one of the best of Trollope's. As well as having his work's usual virtues it is gut-wrenchingly exciting.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Terry Dowd
Terry Dowd marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Nicola Montague
Nicola Montague marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Dyllan Twifyrd
Dyllan Twifyrd marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Kay
Kay added it
Mar 08, 2014
Marcella Slabosky
Marcella Slabosky marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Exploring Anthony...: John Caldigate 1 1 Dec 17, 2013 10:28AM
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha...more
More about Anthony Trollope...
The Way We Live Now Barchester Towers (Barchester Chronicles #2) The Warden Phineas Finn Can You Forgive Her? (Palliser, #1)