Start by marking “John Caldigate” as Want to Read:
John Caldigate

John Caldigate

Something more than a month had gone by, and John Caldigate and Mrs. Smith were very close companions. This had not been effected without considerable opposition, partly on the part of Shand, and partly by the ship's inhabitants generally. The inhabitants of the ship were inimical to Mrs. Smith. She was a woman who had no friends; and the very female who had first appeared ...more
Published July 5th 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about John Caldigate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Caldigate

David
Apr 26, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trollope
This was one of the last Trollope novels I read. I had put it pretty far down on my to-read list because I thought it was another of his Australian novels, and experience had taught me that whenever Trollope strayed from England as his setting, even to Ireland, his work slipped a notch or two. I was wrong on two counts. First, very little of the novel takes place in Australia. Second, the Australian scenes are well done.

John Caldigate is an Englishman, from a good family, comfortably off but not
Will S
Jul 25, 2014 Will S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a book for Trollope enthusiasts; I wouldn't recommend it as the first book of his that somebody reads. I found the central character, John Caldigate, very appealing, and for that reason it became a real page-turner -- despite the fact that I was fairly confident that Trollope would deliver a happy ending.

The book is rather unusual for Trollope in its depiction of religious bigotry, especially in the person of Mrs Bolton, and it seems to me that, despite bending over backwards, he
Al
Oct 28, 2015 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Caldigate is an upper class English youth in the 1870s who has squandered his money and his college experience. Well into debt, with no idea of what to do next, he irritates his strait-laced father by selling his entailed interest in the family estate and going off to Australia with an equally feckless friend to get rich in the gold mines. In the course of all this, we learn that despite basically good intentions, young Caldigate is also a highly suggestible romantic. As such, he leaves be ...more
Pauline Bailey
Jun 21, 2016 Pauline Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered Trollope a year ago and have become somewhat obsessed! So far I have read over thirty of his novels, starting with the Barchester series and then the Palliser series. My expectation then was to be relatively disappointed since I had read the "best". But none have been poor and many very good. "John Caldigate" was very good and while recognizably "Trollope," somewhat atypical. It has strongly moving plot that mak s it hard to put down, which is one of the things things that mak ...more
Pgchuis
Dec 03, 2015 Pgchuis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Caldigate goes to Australia in disgrace after running up debts at university and being disinherited by his father. There he mines for gold and returns seven years later a rich man. He is reconciled with his father and marries the daughter of a very religious family, whom he admired before he went away. Then a woman he knew in Australia (Mrs Smith aka Mrs Caldigate) claims he is married to her and John is tried for bigamy.

More than any other Trollope novel I have read, this is a really suspe
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 27, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trollope fans and lovers of classic novels...
Shelves: 2013-reads, trollope
As a young man, John Caldigate lives a comfortable life and in time, decides to go to Australia and get involved in the mining industry. He does this and is quite successful, but, some mishaps occur along the way. He meets an attractive woman and though warned about her still becomes involved with her, his friend and partner who becomes a heavy drinker soon goes his own way, after returning home quite well off he gets married and is charged for bigamy, and worst of all he must endure a tedious t ...more
Margaret
Interesting plot involving possible bigamy (Trollope does do trials well), but slightly boring characters. I did love the enthusiastic Post Office clerk whose evidence was key to the trial, being as Trollope himself was employed by the Post Office for a long time, and there's a lovely defense of government workers:

"The popular newspaper, the popular member of Parliament, and the popular novelist, — the name of Charles Dickens will of course present itself to the reader who remembers the Circumlo
Mitchell
Dec 02, 2009 Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 23rd novel by Trollope that I have read. I must say that it is one of my favorites. It was amazingly compelling. The 615 pages flew by.

What is interesting here is that in most of Trollope's long novels there is usually a somewhat involved sub-plot and that is what usually accounts for the length. Not here. This book is purely about John Caldigate, a classic Trollope Hobbledehoy, and his woes.

It features the things I have come to love about Trollope: rich, surprising but inevitable
Cormac
Aug 04, 2008 Cormac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: confirmed Trollope lovers
The best part of this novel are the Australian scenes, told with gusto and plenty of local color. The main plot - Caldigate’s trial and conviction for bigamy (and subsequent pardon and release) - drags a bit in its telling; yet it has some very good characterization. Mrs. Bolton’s puritanical fanaticism (which is perhaps over-done) stands in contrast to the dominant Victorian morality which would see wickedness as only truly wicked if it is brought to the public notice.
The highlight of the book
Robert J
Nov 16, 2013 Robert J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little known Trollope novel is actually one of his best. The plot keeps rolling along, exquisitely described as usual, with some unusual twists and turns. Crooked miners, gold-diggers (literally), fevered fundamentalists, lovely innocents, stout-hearted friends, a conspiring brother-in-law, the usual contrast between stupid and smart clergymen, and a reconciled father and son - all part of this worthwhile Victorian read. If you're a Trollope fan, this is a must-read.
Dominick
An interesting book, especially for its time, given the importance given to common-law marriage, but it seems to be poorly thought-out, suffering from inconsistencies and from a curious failure on Trollope's part to psychologize his characters as fully as normal. Nevertheless, there is some very good work here.
Johan
Aug 28, 2015 Johan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprise! A marvellous novel, where at one point you feel like screaming at the main character: 'Don't do it, John, do'nt do it.' Of course he does!Maybe not the best introduction to the wonderful world of Trollope, but it has all the ingredients that make Trollope into one of my favourite authors
Benjamin Kahn
Apr 05, 2016 Benjamin Kahn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated this book. For me, it encompassed all the bad things about Trollope - he sets up the dilemma at the beginning of the book - John Caldigate goes to Australia, makes his fortune and comes back to marry the girl next door. Then we find out that while away, he made promises to may have married a divorcee! He then proceeds to beat that horse for the rest of the book.
Lucy
Apr 19, 2015 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much to like in this late Trollope, such characteristic authorial comments...so why only 3 stars, when I have given many of his works 5? Simply, I got too involved, I cared too much what would happen to the hero (though I think his behaviour quite appalling, frankly), and I was so angered by the injustices. I think I prefer my Trollope a little lighter, please.
Pperkins
Oct 13, 2015 Pperkins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britlit
Taking a break from other Trollope novels in series, but perhaps I'm reading too much Trollope lately. This one has not yet engaged me. The 'hero' is a bit of a cad, but very human and we forgive him. Listening to it via Librivox, excellent reader- Martin Evers, I think.
Rose
Jan 06, 2016 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, but is very slow. Although it was published late in Trollope's career, i wonder if this was written earlier as there are just flashes of his ability to characterize and pace.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
I thought this was one of the best of Trollope's. As well as having his work's usual virtues it is gut-wrenchingly exciting.
Jts
Jts rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Cathleen Schine
Cathleen Schine rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Meryl Thompson
Meryl Thompson rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Angela Sorby
Angela Sorby rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Barb Williams
Barb Williams rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
  • Tales of Mystery & the Macabre
  • Charles Dickens
  • Sketches by Boz
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.
  • Poor Miss Finch
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • Phoebe Junior (Chronicles of Carlingford, #6)
  • Swan Song
  • The Wyvern Mystery
  • A Train of Powder
  • Moral Hazard
  • The Precipice
  • Madame de Treymes and Three Novellas
  • The House with the Green Shutters
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...