Start by marking “Reflections on the Movies” as Want to Read:
Reflections on the Movies

Reflections on the Movies

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Award-winning author Ken Gire knows films powerfully communicate points about life and faith. He teaches readers to view and evaluate Hollywood's old and new fare with a discerning eye and discover the exciting reality that God speaks through film.
Published July 1st 2000 by Chariot Victor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Reflections on the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflections on the Movies

Coyle
Apr 29, 2015 Coyle rated it really liked it
"In some ways, Reflections on the Movies is refreshing. Published in 2000, this book is evidence that Gire clearly liked movies long before most Evangelical Christians. Specifically, he watched and enjoyed movies before Passion of the Christ cemented the “back to the theaters” movement begun among Evangelicals by Braveheart. In a time when many Christians refused to watch anything not completely sanitized in content and had a habit of burning Amy Grant albums, Gire was watching and delighting in ...more
Kate
Apr 09, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Courtney Thomsen
Shelves: margin-notes
"Besides enlightenment, film can also be an occasion for epiphany. Just as the Holy Spirit spoke through a variety of means in the Bible, He speaks through a variety of means today. Even through movies. A scene, a character, a line of dialogue, or the movie in its entirety comes to us almost like a sacrament, and we sense the Spirit saying, "Take, eat, this is for you" (43).

"A movie, I think, is really only four or five moments between two people; the rest of it exists to give those moments thei
Serenity Bohon
Oct 06, 2015 Serenity Bohon rated it it was amazing
I have not seen all the movies Gire writes about in this book, and I didn't love all of his reflections (I have so much more to say about Dead Poets Society), but to his general appreciation for film I related heart and soul. "Art was designed to be experienced, not critiqued." And, "When we go to movies, they engage us in dialogue whether we realize it or not." Yes and yes. I love the art of film possibly more than any other medium, and this book does a very good job of explaining why.
Pat Roseman
I liked this book. It helped me see some of the movies I've watched in a different light and even want to watch a few of them again to see what I might have missed. I'm hopeful it will help me watch movies a little differently in the future.
Sheri Freeland
Mar 02, 2013 Sheri Freeland rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book on God in the movies. I love to watch movies and especially those with redemptive messages. This book showed me I wasn't the only one who could be a Christian and enjoy "secular" movies. Thank you Ken Gire!
Amanda
Mar 02, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
Christmas present, thanks Mom! I enjoyed the analysis of the films I had seen, but should have skipped the chapters on the films I haven't seen - spoilers.
Leigh McLeroy
Nov 15, 2008 Leigh McLeroy rated it really liked it
Ken Gire is such a thoughtful observer of life, including the movies. I truly enjoyed this book.
Deana
Feb 15, 2011 Deana rated it it was amazing
Really, really liked this one. New perspective on movie watching.
Andy Kerckhoff
Jan 04, 2011 Andy Kerckhoff rated it really liked it
I think every Christian teenager should read this book.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Kathy J Wilson
Kathy J Wilson rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Gilbert Wee
Gilbert Wee marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Dena Dyer
Dena Dyer rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Martin Baggs
Martin Baggs rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Lilian Talita
Lilian Talita marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Doneine
Doneine rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Natalie V. Rankin
Natalie V. Rankin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Matt Dickson
Matt Dickson rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Mitzi Adkinson
Mitzi Adkinson marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Duane Brienen
Duane Brienen rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Kathy Ericksen
Kathy Ericksen rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
Rich
Rich added it
May 12, 2013
Wes
Wes rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ken Gire is the author of more than 20 books, including "The Divine Embrace," "Windows of the Soul," "The Work of His Hands," the Moments with the Savior series, and the Reflective Life series. He has also co-authored "The Birthright" with John Sheasby. Two of his books have been awarded a Gold Medallion. A full-time writer and speaker, Ken is the founder of Reflective Living, a nonprofit ministry ...more
More about Ken Gire...