Start by marking “Cheysuli Zyklus 1: Dämonenkind” as Want to Read:
Cheysuli Zyklus 1: Dämonenkind

Cheysuli Zyklus 1: Dämonenkind (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1-2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  914 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Shapechangers They were the Cheysuli, a race of magical warriors gifted with the ability to assume animal shape at will. For centuries they had been allies to the King of Homana, treasured champions of the realm. Until a king’s daughter ran away with a Cheysuli liege man and caused a war of annihilation against the Cheysuli race. Twenty-five years later the Cheysuli were h ...more
Published 2008 by Heyne (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cheysuli Zyklus 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheysuli Zyklus 1

Theobroma
I'm only giving this book one star because Goodreads won't allow me to give it none.

This book was given to me as a gift some years ago, in the omnibus edition that contains the first two novels (there are eight novels in this series?? WTF). I managed to force myself through the first novel, but couldn't even begin the second, I was so disgusted.

Anyway, the story takes place in a world where a race of magical shapeshifters (or "shapechangers", as they are called in the book) are hated and persecu
Jemma Gutierrez
I can't even finish it! The heroine annoyed the hell out of me. Why can't anyone write a heroine who's as smart as I am! Looking at my grades I'm not asking much so why is it so hard to write a smart heroine now adays!?

I'm soo tired of heroines who find that they have magical powers then started acting like it's a damn curse! The girl can freaking shift into an animal, why can't she be like a normal teenager and start jumping up and down yelling AMEN! but noooo! God forbid a heroine that's actua
Turtles
I got 142 pages into the first book "Shapechangers" which is a bit more than half way. I just can't take it anymore. The heroine is super annoying, she's useless! She protests her treatment, yet does nothing. The author uses the same tired lines over and over again. Heroine says "what is XYZ that you prate on about" multiple times. It sounded odd the first time, 3 more times later and it's grated on my nerves. That wasn't the only repetitive riff either, the Cheysuli characters kept explaining t ...more
Red
Koren M.
Shapechangers: The first time I read these books, it was Christmas time, 1991 and I was 11. At the time, Alix was my favorite character, I was entranced by the romance between Alix and Duncan, and more than a little disappointed to find out that the second book wasn't directly about the two of them. There were a lot of things about the writing and characters I think I missed because I was so young... rereading it now (at 30) I still like it, but I don't find I have nearly the same attachment to ...more
Loz
Denyse Loeb
The first omnibus edition of 4, each containing 2 of the Cheysuli series, Shapechanger's Song has the first 2 books originally printed separately as Shapechagers and The Song of Homana.

In Shapechangers, the main character is Alix, the daughter of a princess and a Cheysuli - shapeshifter - warrior, is kidnapped by on of her then unknown (by her) Cheysuli relatives and finds herself caught up in an ancient Cheysuli prophecy. Meanwhile her childhood friend, the prince of Homana is torn between resc
Michelle
Don't judge a book by it's cover, judge it by it's reviews. Lesson learned there. The death knell tolled on this book by the time I reached page 182, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort to finish.
Problem #1: I am not a feminist, but this girl was pretty much the most useless lump of a heroine I have ever had the misfortune to read about. All she does is run off to cry or sit around to wait for the men to decide what she is going to do. Absolutely no hint of independent thinking.
Problem #2:
Roxanne
I first read these books years and years ago when I was maybe in middle school, and so I was excited to spot the reissued omnibus editions and return to Homana.

I was disappointed to find Alix so incredibly annoying in Shapechangers - I guess when I first read the books she seemed like an exciting heroine, but now she's... just irritating. Why are all the male characters in love with her, exactly? I also noticed this time around that Shapechangers really reads like a first novel. The dialogue is
Wendy Ward
The Chronicles of the Cheysuli is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, series of books. Without giving too much away, this omnibus contains the first two books of the series. These two books introduce you to the Cheysuli, a people whose males are able to shapechange into the form of their lir. Alix, the product of a Cheysuli and princess of Homana is the first female who is able to shift form. We are also introduced to the Ihlini, a magical race long at odds with the Cheysuli. These books dra ...more
Hellions
Shapechanger's Song by Jennifer Roberson is an omnibus which contains the first two books in her Cheysuli Chronicles series (Shapechangers & the Song of Homana). I'm usually easy to please when it comes to secondary world fantasy but this was way below my level of enjoyment: truly inconsistent characters, endless repetitions (his golden bands/earrings glinted/glittered in the sunshine/moonlight), bland plots filled to the brim with prophecies... The main villain is a pure caricature of a mag ...more
Stacy
Dec 24, 2014 Stacy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Amy
I only got to about the third book of this series, but I think that I liked the first one the best. After that I increasingly lost interest, it wasn't until I realized I was trying to force myself to read them that I quit. Something just didn't draw me in, or rather started repelling me the more I got into the series. I think it may have been the character development. I felt like the books became more about the world and the story than characters and to me characters come first.
Tracy Akers
One of my absolute favorite fantasy series. I've read all of the books at least three times. It's a wonderful multi-generational tale that takes place in an intriguing world filled with magic, romance, political conflict, and the strength of the human spirit. You may find the writing in Book One a little bit "girly-romance" at first, but hang in there--Ms. Roberson soon hits her pace and you will be swept into a world you won't forget.
Mark
i liked the book and the series is definitely intriguing. i must admit i thought the first book was a bit rushed and sketchy, or so it seemed to me. i REALLY liked the "song of homana" though. much better story line, easier to follow, and jennifer roberson's craft has come through as much more improved. definitely an interesting twist on shapeshifters.
Laurel Bradshaw
Book Description from Amazon.com
Long out of print, The Chronicles of Cheysuli is the fantasy epic that launched Jennifer Roberson's best-selling career. A sprawling saga of the exiles-and return-of a warrior race of shapechangers, the magical odyssey begins in these two novels, together for the first time in one volume.
Jenn
Fun and full of action. I like the female lead, the male lead(s) quickly take over the plot, although it is her bloodlines that make the plot possible. Enjoyed it well enough to read the entire series. Although I fatigued of the foibles of twenty-something male royalty, I would find myself saying "rushalla-tu".
Peggy Bechko

Got these books and read them one at a time some years back. Loved the series, possibly one of my favorites. And I've kept them all these years. Nice to see it in one, large edition. It's a great tale set in a world of magic and conflict. It's a great read and the world she's created is richly colored.
Mark Cameron
The Chronicles of the Cheysuli is one of my favorite fantasy series.

I read this on a camping trip unfortunately, because I had to wait until I got back to pick up the rest in the series.

Some books are better than others but they are all worth reading.
Nora
Sorry, mistaken. This edition is only book 1 and 2.

I finished book 1 which was Shapechangers. It was good. It reminds me a bit of the early Anne McCaffrey books w/ F'lar and Lessa. I hope to start/finish Song of Homana this weekend.
Noelle
I really enjoyed the Cheysuli Chronicles. Long and drawn out at times, they still have all the ingredients to keep you interested. Some characters could have been developed a little more in depth, but overal, enjoyable books (all four omnibuses)
Lisa
This is the first two books in an eight-book series. I picked it up because I read a short story by the author and liked her style. I enjoyed the first book a lot and the story sucked me in, but the subsequent books were not as enjoyable.
Caroline
One of my favorite fantasy series. I loved the complexity here, and the multi-generational story that was so immersive. There are some rough bits here and there, but it really is a satisfying story in many ways.
Michelle
Shapechangers, the first book, was entertaining. I liked the world, I liked the themes, but the heroine had a terrible case of headstrong-and-stupid and that kinda ruined the book a little for me.
Brie
I was not impressed at all with this book. I only read the first story, and couldn't read anymore. I have heard some of her other books are good, so I may give them a try before writing her off.
Katie
These books are so awesome. If I was a Cheysuli I would wish to have the gift of the old blood and be able to change into any animal anytime without the problems of the Lir bond.
Ane
I only read this book halfway. I really struggled with the language and characters. And then halfway, the narrator switched. I wish I could've finished it but I'm shelving it.
Kiera Herbert
I actually only got about halfway through this book-- the POV changes from the first "book" to the second, and I found the second POV not as relatable as the first...
Sabrina
One of the most beautiful stories I've ever read. I love the characters and the plot was completely unique. I'm officially a Roberson fan!
Nicolet
I have found a new favorite author.
I fall in love with this author's characters, imagery, and the stories themselves.
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
  • Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4)
  • The Golden Key
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • The Dragon Quartet Omnibus, Volume 1
  • The Glass Dragon
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • The Godmother (Godmother, #1)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles ...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...
Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1) Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2) Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1) Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4) Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)