Hot and Sweaty Rex

Hot and Sweaty Rex (Anonymous Rex #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What if the dinosaurs faked their own extinction?

New in the genre-bending, species-bending, gender-bending romp of a series.

This is the "awesomely funny...cult classic" (Entertainment Weekly) series with the "incredible idea-brilliantly executed" (Brad Meltzer), that inspired Dave Barry to ask, "What would the world be like if the dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct?

For on...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Ace Trade (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hot and Sweaty Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot and Sweaty Rex

James Steele
If the first two books were comedies with tragic elements, then this is a tragedy with comic elements. It picks up a couple years after Anonymous Rex left off, and there is the feeling that the series has moved up a notch, and that Vincent has matured. He had to after everything he’s been through.

This time he gets involved in the dinosaur mafia, and ends up working for both sides of two warring families, one of whom happens to be an old friend of his.

The back story involved is delivered in two,...more
711sam
The theme or lesson of the book Hot and Sweaty Rex by Eric Garcia is that a close friend’s death can change your beliefs about and out-value business obligations. The way that Garcia presents and supports this theme is through the main character of this book, Vincent Rubio. In this book Vincent, a dinosaur private investigator, is offered $20,000 to tail an important member of a hadrosaur mob in Miami by the rival Tallarico raptor mob. But when Vincent finds out that the boss of the hadrosaur m...more
FicusFan
Searska GreyRaven
To be completely honest, I'd give this one four and a half stars. The action was great, the pace was fantastic, the plot was top-notch. All it lacked was epic-qualities, but that's a personal taste rather than a lack of good storytelling. Definitely worth picking up. ^_^
Katy
This book picks up where Anonymous Rex / Casual Rex left off; Vincent Rubio - the dinosaur detective - is now off the herbs and looking for action. He does NOT expect to end up working for the enemy . . .

Fans of Eric Garcia and the Dinosaur Mafia already know what to expect. Those who don't - in this world, dinosaurs are NOT extinct, but have adapted to live among us - unseen due to the use of disguises, girdles and lots of glue. What is astounding is that while you are reading the book, you ju...more
Erin
It greatly saddens me that this is the last of the three books in this dinosaur detective series. I think the mysteries would be compelling even without the dinosaur element, and, really, the fact that the main characters are dinosaurs living secretly among humans was almost tertiary in this particular book, a novel that puts velocirapter PI Vincent Rubio in the midst of warring dinosaur mafias. I didn't figure out whodunnit until the reveal (and I read enough mysteries that I often do) and the...more
Sabrina Robinson
Sep 02, 2007 Sabrina Robinson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with senses of humor
Shelves: fiction-suspense
The premise is absolutely ridiculous but an original take on the classis detective story. I got sucked in right away on this one and sought out every book he wrote with this character, who is a dinosaur. Apparently dinosaurs faked their own extinction but actually continue to live among us with elaborate human disguises and all kind of support services to keep their existence hidden. This is the last one and I was so sad. I read them over again sometimes so it is not a complete loss.
John
Very cute book. If it was not for the fact he wove the dino story into it, it would have been an average, not so good, detective story. With the new theme involved, it was quite entertaining and I'd read more if there was a series.
Brian
3rd book in the series. Combines very light noir with dinosaurs masquerading as humans. Pretty decent mix. Well worth a read especially if you like noir, crime novels, or just something unique.
Angelina
This book was much darker than the other two. I found that I didn't laugh as often as in the first two books, and I can't remember the plot clearly like I can with the first two books.
Loren Toddy
I was really into the first two books so naturally I had to check this book out. It was as good as I thought it was going to be . Worth reading and very entertaining. Funny.
Joyce
Not as good as the first two dino detective books in the series, but a fun and funny summer read nonetheless.
Jim
An interesting quick read about dinosaurs in the mafia
Angie Drake
Kinda a dorky book, but still cute
Heather Pearson
Recommends it for: sci/fi
Shelves: mysteries
i have weird tastes
Kest Schwartzman
Kest Schwartzman marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Josh L
Josh L added it
Jun 24, 2014
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Eric Garcia grew up in Miami, Florida, and attended Cornell University and the University of Southern California, where he majored in creative writing and film. He lives outside Los Angeles with his wife, daughter, and dachshund. He is also developing a series for the Sci Fi channel based on the Rex novels.
More about Eric Garcia...
Anonymous Rex (Anonymous Rex, #1) Matchstick Men: A Novel About Grifters with Issues The Repossession Mambo Casual Rex Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys