Start by marking “Shooting Star” as Want to Read:
Shooting Star

Shooting Star

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  373 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Anne Carson: fifteen, beautiful, wayward. Abducted. Her rich family has closed ranks and summoned Frank Calder, ex-soldier and sacked police hostage negotiator. They want him to deliver the ransom money to the kidnappers. Frank wants them to call in the law, but the family refuses, since police bungling nearly cost the life of another Carson child kidnapped years before. B ...more
Published 1999 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Shooting Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooting Star

Henry
May 04, 2013 Henry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this case Peter Temple is a minimalist when it comes to his protagonists' past and attributes. I don't particularly like that in stories. I like to be immersed in the main character/s.

The writing is commendable. I understand that Peter Temple has won several awards for his writing. The story does not turn out the way such stories usually turn out, which is also a good thing. It's not possible, but I would have given this book 3.5 stars.

It is a story about an abduction of a fifteen year old gi
Cam
Nov 06, 2009 Cam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-own
This was my first audio, am going to have to read it in literal form (to a certain degree I feel like I cheated because it was in audio) - It was wonderful entertainment don't get me wrong, lovely to have a break in the car from music & talk back, & I kinda looked forward to jumping in the car to go to the supermarket for a change. I think it would be nice to have one on hand all the time, though this one wasn't appropriate to have on while the kiddies were in the car. Peter does like to ...more
Eric_W
Nov 24, 2013 Eric_W rated it liked it
This may be another one of those books enhanced by an outstanding narrator, or, perhaps I'm just enamored of the Australian accent. Be that as it may, it was a pleasurable listen while doing chores like dishes, etc.

Frank Calder, ex-soldier, and ex-cop, is hired by a rich bad guy to deliver money to kidnappers who have made off with his daughter. When Calder counsels bringing in the cops, the response is the story of a previous kidnapping of another daughter who was threatened with killing by the
Anne Chappel
Apr 12, 2014 Anne Chappel rated it really liked it
I love Peter Temple's writing. his dialogue is outstanding, his snippets of poetic observations in between are a delight. BUT i found this plot a little too complicated. Hero was well outlined and described but the ending was a little abrupt. The Broken SHore is still my favourite.
Sharron
Feb 09, 2010 Sharron rated it really liked it
really gritty mystery set in Melbourne. Temple is a wonderful writer and has a great ear for dialogue.
Jennifer (JC-S)
May 25, 2015 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The security system guarding the home of Pat Carson, patriarch of the Carson dynasty, began with a three-metre-high boundary wall.’

Frank Calder, ex-soldier and ex-cop, now describes himself as a mediator. Calder takes a phone call inviting him to the Carson family compound outside Melbourne. Here he meets Pat Carson and his sons Barry and Tom. Frank is known to the Carsons: he’s worked for them before in a situation involving hostages. So, when Tom’s granddaughter Anne, aged 15, disappears on t
Ann Holland
Apr 06, 2016 Ann Holland rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Peter Temple, but sometimes his writing style is so cryptic that I find myself rereading passages to make sure I understood them and I'm still wondering about the ending of this book. While this story of the kidnapping from a wealthy dysfunctional family kept me guessing, the family was so evil that ultimately I really didn't care about the resolution of the case.
Don
I enjoy Peter Temple books. Others do not, citing the language as the main reason for their dislike. This story is set in Melbourne (Australia) and I think it is this aspect of the story which i enjoy. I know Melbourne reasonably well and can relate to the locations mentioned. Best thing to do is try one.
John P
Nov 09, 2015 John P rated it liked it
I enjoyed Shooting Star. As others have said, i really enjoyed the dialogue. I was most impressed with his writing regarding non-verbal cues. I feel like this is something that i have not noticed as much and i liked it. We get so much from the non-verbal cues. well done
John
Nov 21, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Very professional and entertaining thriller. Temple wastes not a paragraph, sentence or even word as he gets on with telling his well thought out story. I will put Temple on my watch list!
Kay Spence
Dec 11, 2015 Kay Spence rated it it was amazing
I just love the characterisations done by Peter Temple in his novel. True Aussie characters fill the pages of his novels.
Ninamarie
Jun 08, 2015 Ninamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this detective story set in Australia with well read ex-military, ex-cop P.I. protagonist.
Catsalive
Feb 10, 2016 Catsalive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, fast-paced, entertaining.

Hermien
Jan 05, 2016 Hermien rated it really liked it
Quite gripping with very amusing banter.
Terri
May 26, 2015 Terri rated it liked it
Looking for more from this author.
MsEleanorMae
Outstanding as an audio book.
Ystyn Francis
Sep 02, 2011 Ystyn Francis rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough Peter Temple. I am quickly working through his back catalogue and I have now read four of his novels in the last six months. With the overated hype of "Underbelly" still incessant, Temple should find a rise in the popularity of his books because the dark crime stories are starkly set against iconic Melbourne and Australian locales but with characters far better developed. This is ironic since his writing is fiction while "Underbelly" is based on real people.
Wiam
Mar 06, 2014 Wiam rated it it was ok
Not bad even if it's not one of my fav :3 ...
Jen
Jul 31, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, australian
Not the best Peter Temple book, but still pretty good. Frank Calder, ex-military, ex-police and trainee horticulturalist, is asked to investigate the abduction of Anne Carson, the 15 year old daughter of the rich Carson family. He finds a family full of dreadful secrets and past indiscretions. A novel with Peter Temple's trademark bleak and black comments on modern society.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the eighth and last of the Peter Temple books read this year and I don't thinks there's any more to come.
This totally gripping, dealing as it did with a kidnap and the inevitable race against time. Frank Calder has to interact in different ways with different folk - the dialogue in which he does it is perfection.
Guy Salvidge
Oct 08, 2015 Guy Salvidge rated it liked it
You can't give Temple less than three stars, but this is among his least worthy books. It's like Jack Irish but without the subplots. And the main plot isn't that interesting. The man can write, though. I've read all his novels except In the Evil Day now.
cms
Apr 07, 2015 cms rated it liked it
I don't usually read crime fiction but picked this short novel up as respite from heavy reading. Zipped through it and was thoroughly entertained. Decent storyline, strong characters, I had to read to the end.
Rod Hunt
Dec 14, 2013 Rod Hunt rated it really liked it
A few too many characters for my liking but another great read- Temple's powers of observation of Australian life match Winton's in my view.

He doesn't waste much time. A great scene at a Carlton - Collingwood match at the MCG.

Any Length
I felt this book was overwhelmed with people and the complicated relationships among them.
In the end I had just about lost interest in who had done what and only finished it in order to tick it off as read.
Jen Welch
Apr 12, 2013 Jen Welch rated it really liked it
The 2007 version has a very ominous cover, the story is very much the same, dark and gritty. An excellent crime novel and a great depiction of Australian/Victorian culture.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it,but dared to get across all the characters, so got a bit confusing at times. Almost need to read it twice to work out who's who
Niamh
Aug 01, 2013 Niamh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
It was ok. The writing was good but I just wasn't immersed in the story. Nor did I get involved in it enough to care for the characters.
Pete
Apr 06, 2013 Pete rated it liked it
ok,although a tad confusing remembering who all the characters were as i felt no emotional involvement with any of them.
Tom
Nov 08, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Very good Australian noir - you can feel the cold damp Melbourne air, in another Temple tale of old money and darkness
Paul
Sep 28, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending seemed a little rushed, with some facts needing clarification, but still a quality crime story.
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Hell to Pay
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Last Drinks
  • If I Tell You... I'll Have to Kill You
  • Nice Try (Murray Whelan, #3)
  • The Midnight Promise
  • The Ferguson Affair
  • Dark Palace

Peter Temple is an Australian crime fiction writer.

Formerly a journalist and journalism lecturer, Temple turned to fiction writing in the 1990s. His Jack Irish novels (Bad Debts, Black Tide, Dead Point, and White Dog) are set in Melbourne, Australia, and feature an unusual
More about Peter Temple...