Start by marking “Little Miss Smarty-Pants” as Want to Read:
Little Miss Smarty-Pants

Little Miss Smarty-Pants

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Little Miss Smarty-Pants is the true coming-of-age tale of a wallflower-turned-wiseass. Her journey from a dateless, geeky Barry Manilow fan in high school to a butt-kicking warrior begins in the 1980s when she meets her gay boyfriend in college. Their once-in-a-lifetime friendship is just the spark she needs to blossom into a sarcastic, sassy smarty-pants. Her experiences ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Cold Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Miss Smarty-Pants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Miss Smarty-Pants

Eden
Apr 02, 2008 Eden rated it it was amazing
Poor fashion choices? Check.
Horribly bad dates? CHECK.
Friend who changed my life? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!

The author has the balls to relive these things...for our reading pleasure! Some of them are too bizarre not to have actually happened. Well-written, funny, and touching without being schmaltzy, Little Miss Smarty-Pants was a joy to read. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much, if not more, the next time around.

I cannot compare my story to the author's, but I can certainly identify. She writes
Lily Hudson
May 06, 2008 Lily Hudson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Laurie Notaro or Jen Lancaster.
Shelves: funny-ladies
Little Miss Smarty-Pants follows the author from her awkward teenage years in Chicago through her once-in-a-lifetime friendship with Jack, her gay boyfriend. Along the way, she encounters deadbeat boyfriends, drag queens, and oddball co-workers.

Kopoulos' memoir bounces between the bizzare, the comical, and heartbreaking real life with deft precision. Anyone who has been lucky enough to have that one special friend will understand the value of this book and the courage it took to put inexplicable
KyleeJ
Apr 28, 2008 KyleeJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to laugh out loud, preferably so loud that they wake up their significant other
Recommended to KyleeJ by: I did! - Yay me!
Little Miss Smarty-Pants is first the memoir I have laughed my way through most of. Suzanne Kopoulos really lets it all hang out. She didn't hold much, if anything, back. As you might expect, she did change the names. I give her a lot of credit. Granted I didn't have as diverse a life as Suzanne, but I couldn't sit down and write about my life like she has. Give Suzanne Kopoulos a gold star for guts!

She may be about 10 years older than I am, but I could relate to a lot of what she talks about in
Roxy
Apr 28, 2008 Roxy rated it it was amazing
Little Miss Smarty-Pants is a laugh out loud chronicle of the author's coming of age. Suzanne Kopolous has given us a story in which we can all recognize just a little bit of ourselves: funny, poignant and tragi-comic enough that you might just wince a little bit as you recall your own journey to self discovery. Kopolous' story gives hope to every girl who has ever endured seemingly endless years of one bad date after another, decades of bad hair days and other assorted mishaps on the road to fi ...more
Lula
May 04, 2008 Lula rated it it was amazing
This book evokes many emotions - sadness, laughter, and its gut-wrenching.

She journeys from a sheltered suburban life to the gay side of Chicago. Upon entering college, she met a young gay man, Jack, who introduced her to the gay world. He dressed her in male clothing in order to get her into the gay bars he frequented. He also taught her how to maneuver through Chicago via public transportation.

Through Jack, she made a life changing self-discovery: she became her own person - no longer a shy,
Clyde the Glide
Jun 08, 2008 Clyde the Glide rated it it was amazing
This book is written by an old (not elderly) friend in Chicago. The title is appropriate since she is really a smart ass. She is a 4'10" dynamo I met at the martial arts school I trained at. I was impressed the first time to challenged me to a fight and then proceeded to smack me in th nose.
Anyway like everything else I have known her to do, this book is well done. (Don't get a big head or your body will fall over.) I recommend you read it. To my friends see if you recognize my character. Congr
Jen
Dec 14, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wish I could give the book 3 1/2 stars, but only lets you give full stars.

That said, I almost gave up on the book a couple of times, but kept going hoping for more. I did laugh - and out loud a few times. I cried too.

This is not your momma's memoir. And it's not Jen Lancaster's either. Completely different world. Suzanne hung with some crazy weird - somewhat scary people. Yet she lived to tell about it. Bravo!
Faye Mclean
Apr 23, 2008 Faye Mclean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Laurie Notaro
A wonderfully funny coming of age tale of a virginal, geeky suburbanite who breaks out of her shell among a cast of unbelievable characters. Too funny to read in public -- unless you enjoy making a spectacle of yourself!!!!
Andrea
Jun 14, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
sooo funny. makes you wanna be best friends with her :) and also jealous that i never had a "jack" in my life. the dating mishaps are hilarious and those TMI moments are to die for. i really enjoyed reading this book. :)
Ean
Apr 21, 2008 Ean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Laurie Notaro
Great book. The author tells funny, inspired, stories about her life, and details how one important person changed her outlook on life forever.

I would recommend this book to anyone.
Myk Little
Aug 05, 2016 Myk Little rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, 2009
Read it: Feb, 2009 /
Read it: May, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2010
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2010
Jacki Clark
Jacki Clark rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2009
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 08, 2009
Kachina Campbell
Kachina Campbell marked it as to-read
May 01, 2009
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2009
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2009
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2008
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2008
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Justine (Booksforever)
Justine (Booksforever) marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2008
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2008
Letitia
Letitia marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2008
LITTLE MISS SMARTY-PANTS WAS A FINALIST IN THE NATIONAL BEST BOOKS 2008 AWARDS and A FINALIST IN THE 2008 NATIONAL INDIE EXCELLENCE AWARDS - HUMOR CATEGORY!

I'm just a girl who likes to make her friends laugh. This is typically accomplished by horrifying them with the news of my latest embarrassing antics. I have a life-long habit of public humiliation.

Little Miss Smarty-Pants is MY story. It chro
More about Suzanne Kopoulos...