Marriage Shock

Marriage Shock

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Dalma Heyn offers the revolutionary argument that women leave their marriages not for the reasons commonly believed--boredom, or disharmony with their mate--but because of a subtle trauma that they experience soon after nuptials.

Women in first and second marriages, married at twenty or forty-five, describe their unexpected, often lonely transformation from women into wives...more
Published March 9th 1998 by Delta (first published March 25th 1997)

Annita
Marriage Shock should be on every young woman's reading list and should be read at a very early age to contrast all the crazy television specials focusing on the dress and the decor when the biggest planning needs to come from within. Later, it should be read as a stepping stone into adulthood when career planning and education are in decision making stages. Recent studies show affluent women are more able to view marriage and children as a choice whereas women in poverty view marriage as a nece...more
Astrid
Nov 21, 2008 Astrid rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women in a long-term partnership
Shelves: women
I picked up this book thinking it might be interesting to skim through. Then I couldn't put it down. This book is not scientifically researched, but it's completely true. It may have saved my marriage and has definitely saved my sanity.
Victoria
Don't agree with everything, and I don't think it applies to all women. But it's an important discussion; I'm glad I read it.
SaraJean
I found this book at a library book sale. I knew that I would have some trouble adjusting to married life and thought this book might be interesting. (Granted, I did have some trouble, but not in the way I anticipated and not in the way this book anticipated.)

This book would have been a good companion piece to Traveling with Pomegrantes by Sue Monk Kidd. Kidd, drawing on her years of Jungian therapy, relies heavily on archetypes, as does Marriage Shock. Heyn posits the idea of The Wife, an arche...more
Skylar
A life changing book. I read it the week after I got married. It blew my mind and changed my entire thought process about my new relationship. Unfortunately, it helped me realize the bad thought patterns and habits I was already falling into, and I became really disappointed in myself. It has been hard to change my "transformation," but at least I am conscious of the thought process and can hopefully overcome it in time.

This book is for smart, independent, motivated women. It essentially argues...more
Amber Lea
I read this book because I found it at the used book store for a $1 and it looked interesting. Now, I fully expected to hate it because...I mean, look at it, but much to my surprise, it was kind of awesome.

Now, the reason I didn't give it five stars was in part because the author didn't quite know how to articulate certain feelings so she resorted to somewhat uncomfortable metaphors. (The whole "Witness" thing is pretty creepy.) Which I mean, that's okay. I do that myself sometimes, but when you...more
Joannah
I'm a bit torn about this book, and I am going to attempt to explain why as concisely as possible.

I believe this book puts forth an idea, a concept that is incredibly interesting, complex, and worthy of exploration. However, the text itself barely skims the surface of the topic it is hoping to address. There is barely enough substance here to start a conversation with someone, as in "Did you read the part about such and such? What was your take on that?" It is all just so abstract and vague and...more
Alia
Mar 13, 2010 Alia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alia by: kristian
Meldi Arkinstall
A thought-provoking read for anyone who is getting married, is married...or has been married!
Genevieve
Main idea from this: don't let your voice be silenced when you marry - you'll lose yourself. Hmm. This was a message I needed to hear.
If you seek pleasure for yourself, everyone will be happy. Good message for everyone. Her writing style got in the way for me. In my opinion, too much talk, not enough meat.
Katie
I only read part of this book. It was an interesting insight into the institution of marriage, but it wasn't interesting enough to hold my interest. I felt a lot of the stories didn't apply to me, and it made me feel depressed...thus, not finishing it.
Bronwyn
Nice to see a more realistic book written about marriage. Marriage is wonderful, but certainly is a shock to the system. It was a relief to see someone examine the issue!
Monica
Negative spin on marriage and conformity. Felt like the main point was to convince women either not to marry or to never work on their marriage.
Ingrid
I read this right around the time of my own wedding, and it helped me start married life with realistic expectations.
Hannah
Interesting take on women and marriage, specifically the cultural expectations we have of the idealized "wife".
Ravenna
So far (chapter 5), this book has made its way onto my "Essentials of Feminist Literature" shelf. Very well done!
Maybe I would have liked this book more if I was married...
Kristen
Surprisingly eye-opening. Incredibly intriguing.
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Cyndie
Cyndie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Megan Steigerwalt
Megan Steigerwalt marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Sarah SE
Sarah SE marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Choral
Choral marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Katz!
Katz! added it
Jul 18, 2013
Magdalena Golden-Baran
Magdalena Golden-Baran marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Linda
Linda added it
Jul 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dalma Heyn is a New York Times bestselling author and psychotherapist who has worked for twenty-five years to help women develop the best possible intimate relationships, while still flourishing as individuals. Her books, which explore the loss of self that many women experience within marriage, have been lauded as revolutionary.
More about Dalma Heyn...
The Erotic Silence of the American Wife Drama Kings: The Men Who Drive Strong Women Crazy A Godsend: A Love Story For Grownups Marriage Shock: The Transformation of Women Into Wives A Godsend: A Love Story for Grown-ups