Start by marking “The Babysitters Club” as Want to Read:

Ann M. Martin

The Babysitters Club

Library Binding
Published September 1st 1993 by Gareth Stevens Pub

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeNothing's Fair in Fifth Grade by Barthe DeClementsRamona the Pest by Beverly ClearyRamona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly ClearyTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Growing Up in the 80s
37th out of 49 books — 29 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstThe Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
All the YA I Missed as a YA
30th out of 56 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen
Apr 11, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
These are the books that taught me to love reading :)
Meghan
Jun 01, 2014 Meghan rated it it was amazing
'twas my life between ages 6-11. Owned and read the entire collection, super specials, mysteries, little sister, etc. -- multiple, multiple times. Even a member of the fan club :) Kept collection on a special bookshelf in my room high above my desk so little sibs couldn't harm. They were recently damaged by a flood in my parents' basement so my mom bought a full, replacement set on eBay so I can share with my future children.
Beanne
Jan 03, 2013 Beanne rated it really liked it
My childhood.

Read almost all of the books then stopped because I discovered Bram Stoker.
Kayla Macgillivray
Oct 22, 2012 Kayla Macgillivray rated it liked it
Absolutely adored The Babysitters Club when I was like 7 haha, am surprised there isn't more on Goodreads about the Little Sister series, which was about Kristy's younger stepsister Karen. I read every one of those books, and while Chapter 2 of every book eventually got annoying and I always skipped it because it was the same explanation in every book, the way Karen discussed her parent's divorce was really helpful for me. I always felt sort of left out, being the only one of my friends whose ...more
Maya Palavali
Nov 23, 2016 Maya Palavali rated it liked it
Eh
Jildou
Oct 12, 2016 Jildou rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved these books! They taught me how to love reading. I collected them and read them over and over again. Sentiment!!
Naima
Oct 09, 2016 Naima rated it really liked it
For my childhood. That is all.
Emily
Sep 19, 2016 Emily added it
I think that the babysitters club book was really good on 1 10 I would rate it a 9.5. My favorite part was when Stacy and Charlotte the girl she was babysitting went into the candy shop and Stacy couldn't get any candy because she has a problem.
Elizabeth M
Dec 02, 2013 Elizabeth M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
The Babysitters Club series was very popular back when I was a preteen. These books helped me when I was going through some of the same issues they dealt with; like divorced parents, gossipy girls, cliques, boys and many other things girls these ages deal with. These books portray the idea of making good lasting friendships and teach many lessons throughout. I think this series is a great series for girls preteens to read especially if they happen to be dealing with things that are hard for them ...more
Vera
Sep 02, 2015 Vera rated it really liked it
These books were my childhood. I don't know what I would've done without them, and for that reason alone, I'm wary of saying anything critical about it, because I read over 50 of these books (or closer to 100) and I remember Kirsty was always my favourite, because she was the tomboy of the group. I remember reading this when I was 9 (Vanessa's age, I don't know why I remember that, maybe because she was the only one my age when I started reading these books?) and wanting to be a babysitter when ...more
Anyvia
Sep 09, 2016 Anyvia added it
sure
Kristin Carney
May 06, 2014 Kristin Carney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
I loved Babysitters Club growing up. I would read my books along with the tv show. This was one of the first book series I got into when I started reading along with Junie B. Jones. I feel this book is best suited for young girls. This book talks a lot about things that young girls go through so you can easily relate to the book. I feel like that’s why I enjoyed it the most. It shows us long lasting friendships along with friendships that are not good for you. I love how this book gives young ...more
Kristin Carney
Oct 23, 2014 Kristin Carney rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this as my stand-in for several books in the series that I read. I loved the blockey design.

I got into the Babysitter's Club, though I felt more kinship with Karen from the Little Sister's books. Maybe that's part of the reason that Mallory was my favorite here--because she was among the youngest. :p. She was also shy, if I remember correctly, and a writer. I also appreciated that Stacey had diabetes like my sister.

Friendship issues and creative business planning...should have taken m
Robin King
Dec 09, 2015 Robin King rated it really liked it
If it wasn't for Ann M Martin, I wouldn't be the reader and author I am today. I was a struggling reader in 3rd grade, just barely on reading level. I read almost every one of these books (including The Babysitter's Kids), in about a year and a half. By the time I was in fifth grade, I'd well surpassed all reading levels and moved onto other series. This is the perfect series for any middle grader (3-7 grade) who loves kids and the adventures of babysitting and growing up.
Michelle
Read so many of these books as a kid and revisited them often as a teen. A huge part of my childhood and what got me into reading. While Sweet Valley is cold sugary Kool Aid, The Babysitters Club is warm, indulgent hot chocolate. Still not very nutritious, but overall feel-good series. Plus, BSC Snark is funny.
Chelsie Gransee
Aug 23, 2014 Chelsie Gransee rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the series that made me fall in love with reading. Read all 131 books in the main series, and a few super special and mystery ones too. My favorite character by far was Mary-Ann. Mallory was just annoying. I hated how each book repeated all the babysitting club rules every time. But once that was over the rest of the book was great!
May 31, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
The series that began my love for reading - Babysitters Little Sister (Karen Two-Two!) and of course, the Babysitters Big Sister series. I have fond memories locking myself in my room reading these books and getting excited when I saw one in the Scholastic book fair or at a book store that I hadn't read before.
Julie
Jul 20, 2016 Julie added it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-kid
I'm not adding each book, but I was pretty obsessed with these books when I was younger. I had up thru the 30's I think, plus a few Super Specials, and even a Babysitters Book with babysitting ideas & tips in it. They definitely do not stand the test of time!
Catherine DiPatri
Sep 01, 2015 Catherine DiPatri rated it really liked it
This book was a very well written novel. It was detailed in the way of the characters communication. Also, one thing I really loved was how much we knew about each character and they're lives! Ann M. Martin gave me a great graphic novel to truly enjoy!!
Maryann
Oct 12, 2011 Maryann rated it liked it
I'll have to confess, I devoured this book and the many others that I read. I even signed up for the Babysitters Club and tried to win all the contests (although I never came close to winning). Not sure what I would think of it now, or even if I would recommend it to others.
Emily
Jan 21, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
My best friend and I devoured these books one by one from our school library in primary school; they were a lot of fun, and there really was a character for everyone in that series. Loved the covers too, always gave you a good idea of the story and characters' personalities.
Allison
Nov 22, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-faves
These books helped me cultivate my love for reading. They will always have a special place in my heart. I always kept the "Sea City Here We Come" book on my bedside table in case I wanted to read before bed. It's actual still in the table now. Nostalgia. :)
Savannah Parker
Apr 27, 2016 Savannah Parker rated it liked it
This book is very realistic because it is about a bunch of kids who come together and start babysitting as a group and write stories about what happens.
Sep 14, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Loved these in grade school! Even prompted some of my friends to start their own babysitting club (which didn't work out too well and certainly didn't last long). Fun for the kids.
Patricia Wagenknecht
Was really good. I never got interested in Babysitters Club, but now I am! It shows alot of real life problems, and how to get through them.
Nicola
Jan 02, 2016 Nicola rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Jul 08, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading this series right now just for fun. A coworker and I got to talking about it, and I loved the series so much as a kid, I had to check it out again.
Katie Oberst
Katie Oberst rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Showdown at the Mall (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #2)
  • The TV Kid
  • The Treasure of Death Valley (Sweet Valley High, #115)
  • Alice-Miranda takes the Lead
  • Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend
  • Never Been Kissed (Sweet 16, #1)
  • Shine On, Daizy Star
  • Wishes and Dreams (Sweet 16, #2)
  • How to Train a Boy (So Little Time, #1)
  • Winner Take All (Two of a Kind Diaries, #10)
  • An-Ya and Her Diary
  • The One and Only (American Girls: Maryellen #1)
  • A Proper Family Holiday
  • Effie At The Wedding
  • How To Be A Little Sod
  • Sharing Susan
  • The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

More about Ann M. Martin...