Start by marking “The Man Who Turned Into Himself” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Turned Into Himself

The Man Who Turned Into Himself

In the middle of an important meeting, businessman Rick Hamilton has a terrible premonition: His wife is about to die. Racing to save her, he finds her lifeless body in the road, her car crushed by a truck. The light dwindles from his eyes... and then she is alive again, begging for help, and Rick Hamilton no longer is himself, but another man with another life, and a diff ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Picador (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Turned Into Himself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Turned Into Himself

El
Jul 13, 2010 El rated it it was ok
The Man Who Turned Into Himself turns quantum physics into an accessible medium (ie, fiction) like Sophie's World does for philosophy.

In other words... GAG.

I learned about the same amount of quantum physics by reading this book as I did by watching Quantum Leap, except with this book I didn't even get the delightful banter between Sam Bakula and Dean Stockwell. Instead I had Rick Hamilton who is confronted by a horrible experience and essentially "leaps" into another body. But... but... the leap
Ben Lawrence
Jan 17, 2009 Ben Lawrence rated it did not like it
This book is like Mozart played on a kazoo. Interesting ideas, awful writing. The author has a great sense for science fictioney-ideas, but his writing is a pile of cliches and plot turns you see coming 20 pages ahead. I tore through it in an afternoon because it's easy reading, but I can't recommend it.
Nima
Jan 02, 2017 Nima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Niels bohr said: If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.

Look at the sky and Imagine you have a genetically identical clone in another universe. Is he happier than you? More successful or more miserable than you? How many universe exist? What if one of your clone comes to your world. is it possible or you are just a schizophrenic man!?

This is a charming, psychological and philosophical science fiction story based on parallel worlds theory and It challe
Bar Tube
Dec 09, 2016 Bar Tube rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope.
kostas  vamvoukakis
απλα ενα εξαιρετικο βιβλιο επιστημονικης φαντασιας (νομιζω) ....γιωργο ευχαριστω,,,
Picklevictory
Jul 05, 2008 Picklevictory rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Picklevictory by: Tortla
wow.
that was cool.
Jenny
Jun 22, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been so much better...with hundreds more pages and more parallel universes and a more interesting writing style.

Unfortunately, the first half was boring and the second half was EXTREMELY rushed. The author had some good ideas but there was a major lack of suspense during what should have been exciting reveals. The characters were pretty flat and not established enough for the reader to care when something happens to them.

Wouldn't recommend it...but if you're into quantam the
Jan 16, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it
Do NOT read this book. It is terrible. Here is a short list of why this book blows goats: Dumb storyline, clumsy plot devices, ill-developed and unsympathetic characters, zero research of scientific premise of story, unpleasant/slovenly writing style, failure to create believable fictional world. I could go on, but if you're still reading this now, you've already spent too much time on this book.
Gardy (Elisa G)
Non è che sia scarso il libro o la sua idea di base, ovvero il saltellare qua e là tra fantascienza e psichiatria, giocando con l'ambigua sanità mentale di un uomo che condivide due personalità e due memorie in un solo corpo.

Il problema è la scrittura di David Ambrose (o forse un effetto collaterale della traduzione, chissà). L'ho trovata monocorde, prolissa e assolutamente incapace di tenere celati i colpi di scena del romanzo fino a quando vengono davvero rivelati, creando un effetto "auto-sp
Jimmy
Feb 23, 2014 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-The author takes on a bold task in telling a story about a madman with two voices in his head, but he does the story more than justice in carefully laying out each and every detail to the reader without alienating them.

-I was also very impressed by his understanding and articulation of the many-worlds theory, having long fancied the theory myself, it was galvanizing to see an author contextualize it so vividly.

-All in all, this is the kind of book I would like to write. It carries the same inte
Sergio Donato
Nov 24, 2012 Sergio Donato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regali
Questo di David Ambrose è un libro-amico.
Un libro-amico è quello che quando lo lasci sul comodino dopo una lunga sessione di lettura vorresti riprenderlo subito, e che ti frulla in testa anche se ti stai tagliando le unghie dei piedi.
Non si può raccontare molto senza togliere tante sorprese, un po' come è successo a me leggendo le prime parole di un lettore anglofono su goodreads. Mi ha rovinato la lettura fino a circa pagina 70. Umpf!

Procurati questo libro anche se non ti piace la fantascienza,
David
Nov 16, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dimensional traveler? Or just insane? I like how this book, for the most part, kept the protagonist's true condition ambiguous (or perhaps there *is* no difference!) That more than anything else blew my mind (I'm more than familiar with the many worlds/quantum mechanics theory, so that wasn't in itself so compelling). The protagonist's voice was at times a little too pompous for me, but the narrative was compelling, I finished it swiftly, and left satisfied. "Soft-scifi" for the literary set.
Patrick Walker
DON"T READ THE SECOND AND THIRD PART OF THE BOOK. They end up being a medical and psychological explanation of what was happening to the main character throughout he first part. Ruined it. Some things are better left unexplained.

The first part however is ridiculously incredible. Please read that. It really is one of the better story concepts I have come across in years. The writing is beautiful, the feelings are tragic true. It was a wonderful mind bending experience. Then the explanations came.
Lisa Rau
Jun 21, 2007 Lisa Rau added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a must-read for anyone interested in a world where fiction, science, philosophy and even spirituality come together. Not only is the frame of a high-energy adventure thriller a great entertainment backdrop, but this is the layperson's guide to quantum physics, other dimensions and the endlessly fascinating "Many Worlds Theory" without the write-off "sci fi" label. Read this book! The ending(s) is (are) well worth your time.
Tortla
Jun 14, 2007 Tortla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of donnie darko
Faultless.
Rachel
Uuuuuuuuuuuuughh.

Prose this bad should be a punishable offense. Corporeally punishable. No stars.
Great little parallel universe book that I forgot about. I need to re-read.
Caryn Denny
Mar 24, 2017 Caryn Denny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PURCHASED ON KOBO

CONFUSED!!

Well, now I have finished this book I can honestly say it boggled my mind! I originally wanted to give 3 stars but the imagination of this author was brilliant. I don't know anything about quantum physics, time travel, parallel universes, or dual personalities BUT all are fascinating subjects and are included in this story. Should you buy and read this story? Not sure but if you like "bizarre", then yes, by all means indulge yourself!
Tim
May 13, 2009 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's surprising sometimes just what the popularization of certain scientific ideas can do. Certain concepts work their way into popular culture, despite the difficulty of math or science truly behind them. David Ambrose's The Man Who Turned Into Himself indicates that even theoretical physics can actually prolong the life of and perhaps even resurrect a book.[return][return]Originally published in London in 1993, The Man Who Turned Into Himself made its U.S. appearance in 1994. In fact, I stil ...more
Jowayria Rahal
Feb 03, 2014 Jowayria Rahal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my very early years at school, I've never been a fan of physics. I knew that the first moment I set foot in my very first physics class back when I was in secondary school. Never had I expected a day when I'd be so astounded by a physics theory that I would actually look it up on the net and read what physicians have to say about it. Via 198 pages , David Ambrose entered my world for about three days, shook whatever doubt or hesitation I had towards the Many Worlds theory and left.

The Man
Ana
Aug 17, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
I bought this book because I had read Coincidence by the same author and wasn't sure how I felt about it. And guess what? I feel the exact same way about this one.

Sure enough, to me, the thing with David Ambrose is that he has awesome ideas but just doesn't execute them well. The concept of this book is pretty interesting – not completely new but enough to awaken curiosity. A man has these odd feelings throughout a morning and suddenly he finds himself in a world that is not his, a parallel real
Sbulf
Jun 06, 2013 Sbulf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Se uno non rimane sconvolto dalla teoria dei quanti vuol dire che non l'ha capita. [Niels Bohr]

David Ambrose ci pone un quesito. Se tutte le formule matematiche con le quali ci ostiniamo a descrivere l'universo non fossero altro che il riflesso delle nostre inesplorate capacità psichiche? L'uomo che credeva di essere se stesso è basato sulle teorie della fisica quantistica e sui loro paradossi sperimentali. Ambrose ha sviluppato una storia ipotizzando l'ap
Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D. Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D.
Ever since 'Superstition' I've been hooked on David, so to speak. Reason? Because "Superstition" defied even the conventional expectations for what some may call a `mind-boggling' novel. But this review is not about "Superstition". It's about David Ambrose's first novel 'The Man Who Turned Into Himself'. What can I say? For a first novel, the book is good (not exceptional). Having read some of his other works, I can almost see the progression of his writing and creative skills from good, to bett ...more
Ippino
Nov 30, 2015 Ippino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
George
Jun 30, 2012 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Αυτό είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο που έγραψε ο Ντέιβιντ Άμπροουζ το 1993 και είναι το πρώτο δικό του βιβλίο που διαβάζω. Δεν είναι το κλασικό βιβλίο επιστημονικής φαντασίας, ούτε εξωγήινους έχει, ούτε μηχανές του χρόνου, ούτε κάτι ανάλογο. Βασίζεται πάντως στην κβαντική θεωρία, τα παράλληλα σύμπαντα, τους πολλούς κόσμους, αλλά και το ταξίδι στον χρόνο... χωρίς μηχανή.

Πως έχει η ιστορία: Ο Ρικ Χάμιλτον είναι παντρεμένος με την Ανν και έχει έναν μικρό γιο, τον Τσάρλι. Είναι ένας επιτυχημένος επιχειρηματ
Michael
Mar 15, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
"Imagination is everything", David Ambrose writes in The Man Who Turned Into Himself, and it requires some imagination to tell a story about a man traveling between two realities: one where he is happily married with a son, and one where the same man is in an unfaithful marriage with no children. And in one horrifying moment, the wall between those two worlds cracks.

Such is the posit of the Many World theory, that pivotal events in one world create a new universe, identical to the original world
Jason Wardell
Nov 11, 2008 Jason Wardell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science? In my fiction? It's more likely than you think.
After about fifty pages, I completely forgot that I'd been reading this book. Dude has a unique dilemma, he may or may not be insane, blah blah blah blah blah. After a few weeks, I picked it back up; I figured it's pretty short and unemployment lends itself quite well to reading books. Let me say, I'm very glad I saw it through. What worried me on the outset was that the entirety of the book would be attempting to get the character to realize his dilemma (the specifics of which I will not reveal ...more
Tori
Dec 17, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have learned something about my taste in books. I really enjoy books that have memorable quotes, that I need to write down and refer to again. And - I really enjoy books about the possibility of time travel/parallel universes. I happened upon David Ambrose by mistake, when last summer I had planned on reading books from the library by authors of each letter of the alphabet. Naturally I started with "A" (and actually, that's as far as I got....). but - I discovered David Ambrose, and loved his ...more
Erik
Jan 07, 2009 Erik rated it liked it
I hate when I read a story or book and realize the plot is essentially something I've written myself. It's always nice thinking you've come up with something original, but let's face it: originality is practically an endangered species. Of course, a good story isn't just marked by what it is about, but how it's written.

The first few pages into this novel I realized it is very similar to the next novel I hope to write. Some key elements to the plot were the same. It was not a good feeling. Fortun
John
Apr 24, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover quotes for my edition of this book are from mainstream reviewers amazed, as is the blurb writer, that any novelist could be so fiendishly ingenious as to co-opt the many-worlds aspect of quantum theory to his theme. Nuff said about the abysmal mental horizons of those reviewers. Ambrose himself must, I guess, have squirmed.

Rick Hamilton is in a business meeting when he suddenly realizes his wife Anne is about to die in a horrific car accident. Fleeing to the spot, he is just not quite
  • The Black Corridor
  • Centuries of June
  • Noir
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe
  • Il ciclo delle Fondazioni
  • Le radici del Cielo (Uniwersum «Metro 2033»)
  • Converge (Converge #1)
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Speak Low