Start by marking “Starship Troopers” as Want to Read:
Starship Troopers

Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  110,023 ratings  ·  3,049 reviews
Starship Troopers is a science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein, 1st published in abridged form as a serial in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (10-11/59 as "Starship Soldier") & published hardcover in 1959.
The 1st-person narrative is about a young soldier named Juan "Johnnie" Rico & his exploits in the Mobile Infantry, a futuristic military unit e
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1960 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Starship Troopers, please sign up.

Kendall Moore Well, that depends. If your expecting a slam-bang SF actioner you'll be disappointed because the story deals with the political implications of…moreWell, that depends. If your expecting a slam-bang SF actioner you'll be disappointed because the story deals with the political implications of individual responsibility in a philosophical tone. Basically, a lot of intellectual discussion and very little action. Don't let this dissuade you though because the themes are profound and the setting is interesting. Besides, when it does show action it puts the Awe in awesome. Read it. (less)
Kendall Moore Personally, I am ambivalent to the politics of the novel. I see it as more of a meditation on one's personal responsibility to both themselves and…morePersonally, I am ambivalent to the politics of the novel. I see it as more of a meditation on one's personal responsibility to both themselves and others, regardless of the circumstances. (less)

Manny
My first impulse is to dismiss it as an appalling piece of militaristic propaganda, whose one saving grace is that it's at least much better than the movie. But that wouldn't be doing the book justice. With all its faults, I simply loved it as a 14 year old, and I'm in no way alone there. Why is it so fascinating?

Let me start by dismissing a couple of possible theories. One reviewer wonders if it's deadpan satire. I suppose, when you see some of Heinlein's later books (Stranger in a Strange Land
Paul Dura
Starship Troopers is listed amongst the recommended books by the United States Air Force for a reason. For those who plan on pursuing a military career, this book exhibits the very ideals upon which our current military standards are based. Camaraderie, Sacrifice, and Responsibility are more than mere words to the protagonist. The distinction between a fighting man and a soldier is made. The distinction between a superior rank and a true officer is made. Johnny Rico is a soldier in more than mer ...more
Michael

Big nasty communist spiders are attacking Earth and all the planets it has colonized! It's a battle between man and bug, and who is to save us?

I'll tell you who! Guys with really fucking big guns, that's who! With spacesuits that make it so they can jump over buildings, and deflect bullets, and drop from spaceships to the surface of planets without getting hurt! That's who!

These guys get dropped onto planets with their spacesuits and their big guns, and they can incinerate some little brown peo
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain.”

Since NPH is one of the reasons Starship Troopers remains a favorite film of mine, I think I’ll let him express my sentiments on the paper version . . .

Houston commercial photography

I need to realize that sometimes it’s okay to not read the book. Starship Troopers is such a cult classic – it’s just soooooo bad that it somehow became great. The book, on
Lucas
Where do I even begin? For starters, I should let the reader know that I'm not basing my score on the politics of the book (as laughable as I think they are) but on the plot of the book, or rather the complete lack of a plot in the book. While things do happen, some of them pretty big, Mr. Heinlein has seen fit that we should not be party to any of those things. Instead, he saves the most loving descriptions for daily life at boot camp. Seventy, yes seventy, pages of a two hundred-odd page book ...more
Jeff
"What do you mean 'They' cut the power? How could they cut the power man they're animals!"

Aliens (sure it's the wrong movie, but a cool quote nevertheless)

The book has very little in common with the movie. The film is something that is ubiquitous on cable. You can probably see the entire thing in snippets just by changing the channels over the course of a year.

In both the film and book, the soldiers battle big bug thingies. The book is only bookended with battle sequences, the rest is training
Mike (the Paladin)
I enjoyed this book greatly. While I certainly can't be said to agree with Heinlein on every aspect of life, politics, or theology...I do appreciate where he's coming from in this book. (Remember it's a 1959 book, before the idiotic handling of Vietnam became apparent). There are thought provoking ideas in this book even if it is considered a YA book. Agree or disagree, it's a good read.

By the way, I must say this. It's often (actually more often than not) true that a movie doesn't live up to t
Tom
Chock-a-block full of gung-ho jingoism, narrow minded fascist pipe dreams, and casual descriptions of institutional dehumanization as well as violence...basically everything you would expect from a book written in the perspective of a futuristic jarhead. I have never read a book in which I agreed with so little, but loved so much.

Dan Schwent
Against his family's wishes, Juan "Johnnie" Rico joins the Mobile Infantry and the war against the Bugs. Will he make it out alive?

Yeah, I don't really know what to think about this book. I picked it up solely because it was an inspiration for one of my favorite books, Old Man's War by John Scalzi. While the writing was very good, there was never an "I can't put it down" moment. I'd say ninety percent of the book was Juan Rico's military life. There wasn't a lot of action until the end.

I liked t
Jenny
Sep 19, 2012 Jenny rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This was terrible and not interesting at all. This book is for people who are interested in the nuances of military training and organization and did not feel like classic science fiction to me. I guess technically it takes place in the future and in space but this is such a minor part of the book that it shouldn't really fall into the sci-fi category. As I entered the last 50 pages, I seriously considered stopping reading. I was confused by the military ranks and didn't care about any of the ch ...more
Randy
If you have seen the movie- forget it. Besides the names, it shares very little with RAH's study on why free men subject themselves to a loss of freedom in order to ensure freedom for others.
This book greatly influenced me when I was a boy- and it still colors my thinking today- 35 years later.
This should be on the reading lists of every high school.

AFTERNOTE!

I would like to correct what appears to be a common misconception about the society described in Heinlein's book:

YOU DID NOT HAVE TO BE

Apatt
I started reading sci-fi quite intensively in the 80s (as if my life depended on it) and if you had asked me at the time who my favorite of the Big Three of Science Fiction is I would have said Robert A. Heinlein. He was, I thought, the funniest, the liveliest, the least dry, and basically the most badass of the Three. In recent years have been re-reading a lot of classic sci-fi and my answer today would be different. I would place Isaac Asimov first then Arthur C. Clarke and Heinlein would be t ...more
TK421
No doubt that if you're looking at this review, you have probably seen the movie of the same name...not a bad movie, but not a good one either. I read this one in high school after having seen a green placard on I-90 that said "Movie Location: STARSHIP TROOPERS."

I thought that was pretty cool...not many cool things happen in South Dakota, so having a pretty descent (I thought at the time) movie shot in our Badlands made me even more interested in the book. Sometime later, I bought a copy at a us
Lyn
I first read this back in early high school, maybe 26-30 years ago, and over time my memory of the book had been diluted by memories of the film and by thoughts of a similar Hugo award winning novel, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

I’m glad that I re-visited this one, because in the 30 years since I first read it, I changed. I became a husband and a father, and significant to my appreciation of this work, went to boot camp, OCS, and Iraq. From this new perspective, I think I understand and valu
Jesse
If you're expecting a carbon copy of the movie in print form, you're in for a bit of a surprise. Heinlein was one of the greatest science fiction writers of his time, possibly one of the best ever - not the sort to write the cheesy jokes and poor dialogue the Hollywood version spouts. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the film, as an action-adventure film, but the novel from which it derives is a much better piece of work.

The writing in this book is very technical. Though told from a first-
Melissa Rudder
Robert A. Heinlein’s Starship Troopers did nothing for me. Its cover advertises controversy and boasts of the exciting journey of Johnnie Rico through the intergalactic military camp of the future. It sounded promising; unfortunately, I was not awed or entertained. If anything, I was pleased the novel was a quick read so that I could more readily set it aside.

To follow a character through the ups and downs of boot camp and warfare and to revel in his victories and sympathize with his failings, i
Mr. Matt
Starship Troopers is a Military Science Fiction classic. It is also a cheesy movie. i watched the movie on Netflix, and then read the book. I'm happy to report that the book is much, much better than the movie.

The story follows Rico, a generic soldier in the Terran Infantry in the lead up to and the full fledged explosion of war against the alien "bug" species. The aliens are kind of like ants in that there is a Queen and a vast army or soldier and worker bugs dedicated to a specific role. These
Eric
Mar 21, 2013 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A must for sci-fi fans
I had been meaning to read this for a while, and am glad I finally got around to it. I have a bunch of unrelated thoughts, which I'll just list below in no particular order of importance.

- I'm sure I am not the first to note this, but Starship Troopers is nothing like the '90s movie that shares its name -- not in plot, tone, or any other respect, other than a few of the main characters' names being left unchanged. The book is far, far superior.

- This book was very far ahead of its time, in terms
Kat Kennedy
I watched Starship Troopers first. I found it amusing, gory, action based and fluffy. When I read the book I wondered if the directer/script writer had read the same one I had. Turns out that he never finished this book and made the story up as he saw fit. Suddenly everything made sense to me.

As far as pacing and plot go, you won't find any of that here. There isn't much of a plot to this book and the story arc, so to speak, is more like a low lying limbo poll. Straight and short.

What I absolut
Wendy
Well, goodness, this was nothing like the movie *at all*. I came here for Diz!

And I came here for giant bugs!

Technically, both those things were in the book, albeit briefly, and I'm not totally hating on it for not being the movie. There were good things about the book, but I think the movie did a better job of streamlining it and pulling out the parts that are important to me--namely, character development.

Heinlein's story follows Juan (Johnnie) Rico as he joins and trains for the mobile infa
Chris
This book is controversial. Says so right there on the cover - "The Controversial Classic of Military Adventure!" A quick look at its Wikipedia page seems to support this, claiming that the book has been criticized for its literary merit, its support of the military, up to and including fascism, racism, utopianism, and gods knows what else. What is certainly true is that it's a book that is guaranteed to make someone, somewhere very angry.

In the unspecified future, humanity has taken to the star
Sesana
Sorry, I just didn't like it. I'm not knocking Heinlein's skills as a writer. The one thing he does very, very well here is to make the main character's voice realistic. Reading this book feels exactly like sitting down to several long conversations with a combat veteran. The way he describes military service is likewise very realistic. That said, I found myself bored by the near total lack of action. The vast majority of this book is nothing by military training, which in most ways are absolute ...more
Andrew
Rob
Executive Summary: One of those rare cases where I liked the movie better than the book.

Audio book: This was my first book narrated by Lloyd James. If I can help it, it will be my last. He's far from the worst narrator I've had, but after coming off a Micheal Kramer reading in my last book, he seemed extra bad.

He's reading felt wooden. No real emotion or inflection at all. It did seem to get a bit better as it went on, but never into good territory.

Full Review
This one has been on my list for a
Hudson
I saw this movie more than once and always enjoyed the social satire as well as the sci-fi "shoot 'em up" fighting scenes with the bugs. I'm not really a huge sci-fi fan so I had no idea who Robert Heinlein was or that the movie was adapted from a book. At the end of the day this was a great find for me because I liked the book and I think I might be open to more sci-fi going forward (also just read The Martian coincidentally).

Here's the thing: in addition to the fighting scenes and sci-fi type
Steve Sckenda
This Hugo Award-winning 1959 classic by “the dean of American science fiction writers” just happens to take place in the 22nd century and involves intergalactic warfare against insectoid monsters, but it nonetheless captures the feel of military service, and the ordeal of young recruits from basic training to battle-hardness, with a vividness that will resonate for any serviceman in any era. Heinlein, a Naval Academy graduate, brings these things to life through the story of Johnnie Rico, who de ...more
Jason
I wanted to like this book, but there was so little plot. The little plot that was given was only a segway to a rant on military living or very thinly vealed social commentary. I don't mind science fiction having social relevance, but it should no be so blatantly presented as a teacher's class room lecture. The book is only 200 pages long and I would say only about 45 pages of it had anything to do with a plot. The rest was a continuous rant. I didn't disagree with all of the authors objections. ...more
Ric
Been reading a lot of military SF lately and thought it would be neat to calibrate the contemporary works with this classic by the SF grandmaster. However, it's been a while since I read Starship Troopers, and I'd forgotten that I didn't really "like" it the first time around.

The novel starts out with a thrilling action sequence, then follows this with some boot camp vignettes, now almost obligatory in the grunt-driven books of the genre. So much promise, then the narrative devolves into Heinle
Ashley
I liked the movie better. And how often can you say that with a straight face?

Here's what the movie has going for it:

1. It's fun and watchable.
2. It has pretty people in it.
3. Horrible things happen to those pretty people.
4. It takes parts of this book and ignores the rest.
5. It completely subverts the pro-military message of the book into a satire.
6. It has Neil Patrick Harris in it as a psychic.
7. It's cheesy and violent and tries to make you believe Denise Richards is good at math.
8. Whil
Kirstine

At the moment I'm 1 month through my 4 month basic training program in the army. I volunteered for this, and when the 4 months are up I can continue with my life as though nothing has happened. But something has happened. I have, basically, been taught to kill, to fight, to function as decent soldier. And it puzzles me how we can teach young men and women how to do these things, and not at the same time teach them about morals, about ethics and about knowing what's right and wrong. I say teach,
Why so little action? 52 265 Jul 12, 2015 05:51AM
Can you love a book you disagree with? 11 116 Jul 07, 2015 12:55PM
Book better than the movie (no surprise) 23 115 Dec 25, 2014 07:34AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Starship Troopers 126 141 Sep 09, 2014 02:28PM
ebook version of Starship Troopers 15 273 Jun 02, 2014 04:22AM
Is it true about the low radiation = no evolution? 16 118 May 28, 2014 03:46PM
  • Armor
  • The Big Time
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • This Immortal
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)
  • The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1)
  • To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1)
  • Fearless (The Lost Fleet, #2)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...
Stranger in a Strange Land The Moon is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love The Puppet Masters Friday

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” 2782 likes
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” 221 likes