The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship, A Toltec Wisdom Book

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  13,503 ratings  ·  460 reviews
In the tradition of Carlos Castaneda, the author distills essential Toltec wisdom on human relationships as well as techniques for integrating this awareness into daily life.
Published March 30th 1999 by Amber-Allen Publishing

Mastery of Love is one of the most influential books I have ever read. I recommend it to all of my girl friends and I think every guy should read it as well. Ruiz also wrote The Four Agreements...very good read but I liked Mastery of Love more b/c as a girl that has grown up in a (pleasantly) divorced family, I am a skeptic of love and it’s hard for me to open up.

This book starts off discussing love on a conceptual level but then turns into more of a How To book...which is the part I enjoyed th...more
Michele Harrod
This is one of those perfect books, that sits on my bookshelf, and then miraculously falls into my bag, just as I head away for a long weekend - just when I need it the most. You know the times, those short breaks, when you need to take some time out to try and make sense of the world, and where you fit into it. This book answered those questions perfectly. In fact Don Miguel Ruiz's explanation of the hell that is earth, and how and why we have so foolishly created this for ourselves, was just w...more
Matt
Disclaimer – I doubt I ever would have chosen to read this book without a recommendation from someone else. It was lent to me by a co-worker, and I read it, in part, out of respect for her.

The author: Miguel Ruiz once went to medical school and became a surgeon. Later in life after a traumatic accident he forsook it all to learn the healer’s ways and become an “Eagle-Knight” in the Nagual tradition. He has since studied the “Toltec” people and written about their teachings. He has written a few...more
Shannon
We practice and practice, and we master how to be what we are not.
Soon we forget who we really are, and we start to live our images. We create not just one image, but many different images according to the different groups of people we associate with. p20

If you take your happiness and put it in someone's hands, sooner or later,s he is giong to break it. If you give your happiness to someone else, she can always take it away. Then if happiness can only come from inside of you and is the result of...more
Christie
Ruiz's delivery irritates me just as much as Thomas Friedman of the World is Flat. Of course, I have been in the minority before, and I don't mind being in it again.

On the positive side, this book contains some healthy and true messages about how we love, and why we fail, and how so many of our actions and reactions are based on fear. There were some messages in this book that I needed to hear, but I could have removed a lot of fluff of the analogies and stories. They either just felt off the wa...more
Liz
This book certainly contains some good and well needed advice, for example it frequently stresses the importance of self acceptance and self love, a concept which I think many of us struggle with.

However, I found the book difficult at times because it frequently seemed to fall into the realm of over simplification. Perhaps non western based concepts of 'enlightenment' are supposed to be by nature - simple - and I am missing the point? But I'm not entirely convinced of this. I agree that Western...more
Ursy
This book has very little and everything to do with creating meaningful relationships with others. It's sole focus is about creating a loving relationship with yourself. It gives real world examples of how we create our own hell. If we can create it, we can destroy it. This book looks at how and why we've created a dream of hell and sheds light on how we can turn that dream into a dream of heaven.

Although I was not big on the slightly religious undertones in some of the chapters, I do believe th...more
Esmeralda Jimenez
The best spiritual book I have ever read. It teaches you how you can reach happiness and love, within yourself. Once you have mastered self-love and have healed from emotional wounds, happiness is achieved and this is vital for a healthy loving relantionship. This book will have a dramatic influence in 2010 for me, just what I needed. Can't wait to start reading the Four Agreements.

"Happiness can only come from inside of you and is the result of your love. When you are aware that no one else ca...more
Amy Lesher
If you are seeking to understand how & why relationships work out they way they do, this book is a gem. From it's all about you to it's not about you, these teachings will shift your understanding to a different level.

"A Toltec is an artist of Love,
an artist of the Spirit,
someone who is creating every moment,
every second, the most beautiful art--
the Art of Dreaming.

Life is nothing but a dream,
and if we are artists,
then we can create our life with Love,
and our dream becomes a masterpiece of a...more
Brad
I just can't get past the bad writing. The concepts occasionally seemed worth a bit of thought yet by the time the author finished beating them into the ground through repetitive poor sentences I disregarded the ideas in disgust. Really, I didn't know someone could rephrase a single thought so many times without once expressing it in a succinct, (or even quasi-intelligent,) manner. Ah well, I guess I won't be able to 'self-help' after all... Ghost writer, anyone?

Jen
There was a lot of good stuff in this book. These were my favorite quotes:

"Love is ruthless. It doesn't feel sorry for anyone, but it does have compassion. Fear is full of pity, it feels sorry for everyone. You feel sorry for me, when you don't think I am strong enough to make it. On the other hand, love respects. I love you; I know you can make it. I don't have to make your choices for you. You can make it. Compassion comes from respect and from love; feeling sorry comes from a lack of respect...more
Mads P.
Good. One should definitely read the Four Agreements first, even though this repeats some of that. The basic message is that you can't love anyone else until you love yourself. Love comes from within, not without. I think most people know this, but don't really live it. One of his big points in both books is that most of what we see/think about life is an illusion. Everything exists in our perception, we don't see things as they really are, we see them how we're trained to see them. He asserts t...more
Behzad
there are two parts to this book: first, the part that tries to tell you about what happens when you choose the wrong person and why is it that people behave so strangely and ruin their relationships and escape from real love and things like that. this part is amazing. unreal. out of this world. it manages to provide psychological explanations for what we do and what we desire, and it manages to provide solutions to some extent.
the second part is when the writer tries to inspire the reader and t...more
Pamela
Dec 22, 2011 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Not sure
Recommended to Pamela by: Mark
This book both frustrated and inspired me. I could not relate to the continual analogy of human relationships as the same as animal relationships, but there were many excellent pieces of advice: "Happiness never comes from outside us . . . If you take your happiness and put it in someone's hands, sooner or later, she is going to break it.". "Love has no obligations. Fear is ful of obligations.". There are excerpts I will read again to remind myself that "happiness is the result of love coming ou...more
sally
Ok, so technically I just listened to the first two and a half chapters of this on audio tape but it was awful. Mostly about how living life is like walking around with our skin full of open sores that people touch and then we're even more damaged, and that is like our emotional lives. Super depressing and I wish I had my eighteen minutes back and all his analysis out of my mind. Oh, and a lot of BS about how pure and innocent and wonderful three year olds are and then society screws them up. Ye...more
Claudiaroman
Este libro, puede servir de mucha ayuda para nuestra vida; el autor; mismo de los cuatro acuerdos, nos hace reflexionar acerca de nuestra conducta diaria con las personas que nos rodean. Te muestra cómo llegar a tener buenas relaciones; y así ser más feliz. Te hace reflexionar acerca de cómo hacer en una relación, para que no te hagan daño, o para que no se vuelva esta algo obsesivo; para que sea benigna. Nos habla de que los celos y el enojo son deribados es miedo. Que tenemos que trabajar cada...more
Aileen
this book makes me feel contented with what i have in life. it takes passion and patient to be happy. it is also how to divert risk and responsibility in life into new great possibilities rather huge /tough responsibilities. this is also to overcome your fear to speak about yr feeling and thoughts abt others. I heard about this book from Gisele Bundchen's website how she was inspired by Miguel Ruiz. No doubt, this book rock and give me an impact in a positive way.
Stuardo Berti
Excelente libro. De los mejores 5 libros que he leído, aunque pensándolo bien, este es como el décimo libro que digo que es de los mejores cinco libros que he leído. No obstante, es un libro muy interesante, lleno de muchas verdades prácticas que lo hacen a uno reflexionar y hacer introspecciones desde la primera página hasta la última.

Si alguién esta considerando leerlo, no lo dude y hágalo.
Douglas Merked
A common sense approach to the human psych.An easy read and will open your eyes to what life and love are really about!I highly recommend this book Miguel Ruiz Has captured much of the wisdom of the ancient Toltec way of viewing our lives and how we are programmed and domesticated throughout our lives.Again A MUST READ.
Dallas
The message of this book is powerful, I recommend it to anybody that is in or has ever been in a relationship. Not a literary masterpiece, but come on, what do you expect from a title like the Mastery of Love? Still, even though the title sounds cheesy, Ruiz presents some powerful truths.
Costacoralito
Do you wan to see the dynamics of relationships from the Toltec point of view? This book made me aware of all the things that were important in maintaining a loving relationship, how to nurture love, and the illusions that prevent this. An excellent book and one of my top ten self-help books.
Lauren
I'm not a big fan of self-help books...however, if you are as emotionally retarded (as most of the people that I have ever met are) you might find this helpful.
Huma Rashid
The title is misleading. What it should really be is "The Mastery of Self-Love."

The author makes a compelling case for the virtues of self-love, truth, forgiveness, and similar concepts but that's nothing new - so have many other famous figures, like Jesus (A) and Buddha and Muhammad (S). What made this book resonate with me, though, is how the author explained the reason all those ideas are so important and so beneficial.

Yes, a lot of people will take this as just another self-help book. For...more
Wilhemina
Not sure what he was trying to say...thoughts are not coherent. Not very well written. Definitely a waste of my time trying to read it!
Kathryn
didn't "technically" finish it....it was too terrible...boring, lame, corny, and repetitive...highly unrecommend
Vanessa Reynoso
i love this book... everyone should read this...
Tyesha Palmer
I loved this book. It was an easy read.
Avolyn Fisher
I LOVED this book. Like all of the Don Miguel Ruiz books that I have read so far, it was amazing. I truly believe this is a book that everyone should read. Don has so many insights into how we can attain love regardless of what love we receive from others. He explains how easily it is to get caught up in fear and how most of us have been lied to and mislead in what love is supposed to look like. I think this book falls in the top three of the most important books I have ever read.

The only issue...more
Mark Bennett
Friend Cat Lee, in NYC recommended. I took a "google peek" and bought it today at my fav independent "Warwick's" in La Jolla. I will report back.

~~~

Blew through this. Much here reminds me of reading Krishnamurti over 20 years ago.

Living as an art, being aware, making choices, having the courage to see what's fearful, facing off with our fears, making changes, taking risks, and in the end LOVING ourselves, others and life.

Ruiz asks toward the end, "Can you imagine what kind of world this would...more
Vane
Realmente que me encanto este libro, pude sacar muchísimo provecho de él y aprender muchas de cosas y razonar otras.
Los 4 acuerdos y este libro son libros que en mi opinión cualquiera debería de leer, sin importar la religión o creencias que la persona tenga.
En este libro de lo que se nos habla es de amor y más amor, de sobre como todo gira alrededor del amor y que debemos volvernos maestros del amor, de compartir el amor que sentimos por nosotros, por los que nos rodean, por la naturaleza.
En lo...more
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • Heal Your Body/New Cover: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Soul Stories
  • Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 2
  • Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
  • Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
  • The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life
  • Animal-Speak: The Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
  • A Course in Miracles
The tools shared by don Miguel are based on common sense and shared with such simplicity, that the universal message underlying his teaching is recognized by many. don Miguel's message is simple, practical and when implemented, even incrementally, changes lives.

In the tradition of the Toltec, a Nagual guides an individual to personal freedom. Combining new insights with old wisdom, don Miguel has...more
More about Miguel Ruiz...
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace The Four Agreements Companion Book The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery The Four Agreements (Toltec Wisdom)

“You don't need to justify your love, you don't need to explain your love, you just need to practice your love. Practice creates the master.” 142 likes
“And what is the right woman, the right man? Someone who wants to go in the same direction as you do, someone who is compatible with your views and your values-- emotionally, physically, economically, spiritually.” 88 likes