Start by marking “What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The #1 best-selling career book of all time, revised and updated to keep pace with today's ever-changing job market.

Still the best-selling job-hunting book in the world, WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE? is the most complete guide for first-time job seekers as well as second and encore careers changers. For more than three decades, it remains a mainstay on best-seller lists, f
Published October 1st 2008 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009

Jan-Maat
I had imagined this would be a simple guide helping people to gain employment, little did I realise that this was all to the greater glory of God and would have nothing to do with parachutes.

"God loves a Trinity", the particularly irritating little kid who used to regularly beat me at chess when I was a student in Russia (view spoiler) used to like saying, an
May 19, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best job-hunting book I read so far! What makes it better is the author Richard Nelson Bolles is also a Christian. By reading this book, I understand more about the new job search techniques. I guess the hard part is really practicing it cause networking IS hard. I really appreciate the chapter about job interviewing, letting me know how it is like a "date," so I won't be as nervous. I think either way, you will still be nervous since our natural tendency is for the other person to l ...more
Adriana
Feb 27, 2015 Adriana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Adriana by: adriannaa@gmail.com
Shelves: business
I can never say enough of the What Color Is Your Parachute books. They are excellent.
Judith
Jan 30, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
First of all - it is a very good and very helpful book. I still haven't gone over all the tips/exercises that would let me use what I've read, but the book was a good read.

What I liked from the start was how positive and optimistic (and also calming) the author looks at hunting for a job (having lost a job and needing a new one). It is a good starting point and the way he writes you feel less panicky about the situation and take a deep breath.

There are many useful tips and ideas I hadn't conside
Jaclyn
Sep 17, 2009 Jaclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is dissatisfied with their current job and is looking to make a big change
I really like this book and highly recommend it. It is a fast read from a reading perspective, which is good b/c you want to be able to spend your time on your career hunt, not on reading a book about career hunting. However, it is extremely thorough and addresses many of the questions that other job hunting/self-help books don't. This book makes no assumptions at all and literally walks you step by step through an entire career change process, leaving no stone unturned. There were so many valua ...more
Kirsti
I hate the title. I hate many of the cartoons and illustrations. I really hate the writing style. But I love the information in this book (and its previous incarnations). It's filled with practical information on job searching and careers. The author has useful tips and strategies for people of all ages, interests, abilities, and income levels. And the later chapters focus on the search for meaningful work, not the highest grossing/most prestigious/easiest to find job.

I have read this when I'm l
Kristen
Currently reading the 2009 edition. Will update when Goodreads adds the new edition to their database...

3/2009: Job hunt suspended due to crap economy making me afraid of starting at another company unless absolutely necessary. That said, I really recommend this book. I thought I already knew the usual places to go look for jobs, but this book led me to a number of resources I hadn't even heard of. It also gives what seems to be very practical advice concerning just about every aspect of the job
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, academic
OK, I actually read this one when I was just out of high school, but as a college professor (yes, I still teach a class or two) I advise my students to go here. It's a great primer for those who are "looking." And of course, over the years it's been updated and improved, so that's a plus. And the fact that it's still around in its advanced versions is a testiment to its usefulness and continuing application in today's work-a-day world.
Carol
May 01, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Read this book many years ago to understand the process one must work
through in changing professions and getting a job. It is a fascinating
journey of discovering skills that we all have and do not recognize as
anything special. Going through any learning process, leaves you a changed person-as does this book. This book must be helping people because it has become a yearly.
Simon Rindy
Oct 01, 2008 Simon Rindy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those with a lot of time for self examination and tolerance for charts
Shelves: lfpl-org
WILftB: That I do not have sufficient time to devote to this endeavor. This is a "clear the decks" sort of book--devote blocks of time and energy to the text, and self-knowledge will be yours. However, those blocks of time and energy must be substantial.
At its core, a solid career/self awareness guide; but, it suffers considerably from being inexcusably outdated (2009 edition).
Stacey
Apr 20, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone going into college/or looking for a job
Recommended to Stacey by: Allison
Shelves: non-fiction
I am contemplating the idea of getting my masters in library science with an eye on becoming an elementary school librarian. A friend of mine encouraged me to read this book.

This didn't really apply to the stage of life I am in, but I had William read a couple chapters that applied to his current career situation.
Shawna
Oct 25, 2009 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
This is a great reference book. I thought I would read it cover to cover when I first got laid off, but it was really just a fantastic pick-me-up and source of advice during the job search, interview process, and hiring negotiations. I think I'll come back to it more when I'm in the application process for grad school.
Kathleen Duffy
Jun 26, 2010 Kathleen Duffy rated it did not like it
I had to read this in conjunction with a summer internship for my major. I'm sorry, but I just did not like this book. It took me nearly a month to complete, and I absolutely love reading. I didn't think the final chapter about Christianity was necessary either. Now I get to write a big paper on the book. Great.
Ilina
Apr 05, 2009 Ilina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has just graduated or is about to graduate college NEEDS to read this book. From how to interview, to what the best way of finding a job is, it contains everything about the job world that they did not teach us in school.
Ernest
Aug 07, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it
This was a refreshing and inspirational book with many suggestions and ideas. While I did not have the time to complete all activities (I borrowed the book), I still managed to get much out of this book.
Melissa Y.
Oct 15, 2009 Melissa Y. rated it it was amazing
Still relevant after all these years...a huge help and guide if you are job-hunting or looking to change your career in mid-life. I highly recommend it.
Lori
Sep 13, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
As part of my HR inventory class, this was one of our textbooks. Great book for those in career transition.
Bob McDonald
Feb 03, 2009 Bob McDonald rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for anyone who is going through a change in careers, be it by choice or not.
Stu Morgan
Sep 07, 2009 Stu Morgan rated it it was amazing
MOre relevant than ever, nicely updated for web world, includes a plethora of on-line resources.
Nick
Aug 04, 2009 Nick rated it really liked it
Great overall book to help identify the elemental interests that underlie what one enjoys.
Rebeccameder
Aug 02, 2011 Rebeccameder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-career
Very helpful book. I think it's the most comprehensive one in it's genre.
Felice Lam
Jan 21, 2011 Felice Lam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Some good ideas and resources; however, some links are already broken.
Emma
Aug 23, 2010 Emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-related
Prefered "Rebound" - see "Read" Shelf
Michal Łaszczyk
Dec 07, 2013 Michal Łaszczyk rated it it was ok
Didn't like it that much actually.
zoya
Apr 15, 2009 zoya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
necessary.. doesn't mean i like it!
Stasha
Bought the updated copy.
Haigaram
Haigaram marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sai
Sai marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
  • Babywatching
  • Millionaire by Thirty: The Quickest Path to Early Financial Independence
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • The Strong-Willed Child: Birth Through Adolescence
  • Mind Games
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Extreme Edition
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World