Start by marking “Tupelo Rides the Rails” as Want to Read:
Tupelo Rides the Rails

Tupelo Rides the Rails

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Award-winning author/illustrator Melissa Sweet introduces Tupelo, an abandoned dog, who must find a new home for herself and her sock toy, Mr. Bones. With creative language and brilliant illustrations, Melissa shows how home is sometimes found in the most unexpected places.
Published April 7th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tupelo Rides the Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tupelo Rides the Rails

Kelli Mcdonald
Tupelo rides the rails is a tale of a little dog left out on her own. Her owners abandon her and leave her to find her own way in this world. When Tupelo stumbles on the boneheads she finds a new way of living. Along side of the Hobo, she learns about the stars and the dog astronomy. She rides the rails all around the world and all of the other Boneheads find families they had lost or found new ones, but Tupelo does not find anyone. Will Tupelo ever find a loving home?

I really enjoyed the illust
Sue
Beginning on the end papers with a pull out of the celestial sky, followed by a bone adorned time line, Melissa Sweet tells the story of Tupelo Rides the Rails. Dumped on the side of the road with her sock toy Mr. Bones, they ride to find a place that they belong. Penciled and watercolor frames, vignettes and full page illustrations tell the story of life on the rails, under the stars, and the search for home. Interspersed are references to all the famous dogs in history (that's why the timeline ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
I loved this sweet little book about an abandoned dog and her quest for belonging. Some of the pages open to reveal more text and pictures, including a graphic of the night sky with the constellations renamed to reflect the canine theme. Lots of warm fuzzies here.
Dolly
Apr 23, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
Tupelo is an abandoned dog and she was lonely until she met the BONEHEADS (Benevolent Order of Nature's Exalted Hounds Earnest And Doggedly Sublime). They introduce her to the Dog Star Sirius and the various constellations in the night sky (as Dogs see them). They also introduce her to a hobo named Garbage Pail Tex who takes the dogs on a train adventure and helps them make their wishes come true. It's a sweet story and our oldest daughter cried at a particularly poignant part of the tale. We re ...more
Maricor
Tupelo Rides the Rails by Melissa Sweet (2008)
Picture Book, 34 pages with 3 foldout pages
Tupelo has something for dog lovers and astronomers alike. Sweet does an outstanding job weaving literary elements of allusion, alliteration and other wordplay into a dog’s tale full of stars and stinky stuff. With very detailed mixed-media illustrations and longer text on each page, it may be a difficult read for a large group at story time. Then again, there is so much to look at on every page, little eye
Chris
Jun 27, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, punks, dog and train lovers
Recommended to Chris by: found it at the library
Shelves: stig-books
This is awesome all around. The illustrations are awesome -- beautiful, hip and quirky at the same time. The story is about a dog who is abandoned and goes in search of his tribe. He finds a pack of other lost dogs who all make wishes upon Sirus the dog star. A Hobo takes them train hopping and they all find their place. Tupelo finds out her place is riding the rails with Hobo Tex.
Dogs and trains. Tribes and constellations. A cute story. Good for big people and little people. A 10-15 minute read
Lindsey Johnson
Oct 05, 2009 Lindsey Johnson added it
Shelves: pbgs-2
This book is colorful and has great details to them. The pictures look like they were drawn with color pencils and filled in with them. The books pictures have positive space to them. Most of the pictures have an outline on them like they are in picture frames. I really like the font in this book. I am not sure what kind it is but it fits the book well. I really like how if the pictures do not fill the whole page the background has a cream color to them and not just white. I think a lot of books ...more
Susan
I didn't think I could love Melissa Sweet's books more after her wonderful illustrations for Jane Yolen's Baby Bear books (Baby Bear's Dreams, Chair, etc.) especially since I want to live in Baby Bear's treehouse by the sea. Seriously.
But...I love Tupelo entirely. I love her sock toy, Mr. Bones. The part where the dogs gather together to make a wish on Sirius the star is ... well, I was wrong. I can love Melissa Sweet's works even more than before.
Angie
This is another picture book that's "wordier" than the usual. My 9-year old son and I both enjoyed the semi-mythical dog-constellation aspect to the book. My 7-year old daughter listened as I read it, but fidgeted and didn't really like it. I admire the tenacity and sacrifice of Tupelo on her journey for a home.
Allison
LOVED IT! Melissa Sweet's illustration and the character, Tupelo, got me from the opening timeline to the last tail-wagging scene! If I ever have a dog I would like the dog to become a member of the BONEHEADS (Benevolent Order of Nature's Exalted Hounds Earnest and Doggedly Sublime).
Johanna
Evan picked this book from the library because the cover had a dog and a train. haha I think it is the CUTEST book! It uses words that children's books normally don't use like hobo, intoxicating, and schnoz. And the author is just so creative. I loved it!
Denise
A story about an abandoned dog that just wants to belong. Includes a timelime witha few famous dogs (fiction or not), Lassie, Balto, Toto and Snoopy. (Unfortunately it omits Astro.) Also has maps of the constellations.
Julie
The art wasn't my preferred style, but it does fit with the tone of the book. My favorite character was Mr. Bones. It just seems like I've read other stories like this before... folk tales, etc that were better told.
Edna
What a great dog "tale" about being forced into a new way of life that involves making new friends who all share hope and faith.
Madeline
Tupelo Rides the Rails was a good book. I liked it because the man who led the Boneheads let Tupelo live with him.
Shannon
Sweet story, and of course I loved Mr. Bones, but everything was resolved a little too neatly for my liking.
Paty
All dog lovers will enjoy this book. Some high leveled vocabulary in it, but it's a great read.
Mckinley
Enjoyed the illustrations. Good story.
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Mw
Mw marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There is more than one author with this name

Melissa Sweet grew up in a suburban neighborhood that had lots of kids, kick-the-can games on summer nights, and Percy's candy store right nearby.

Later she received her Associate’s Degree from Endicott Junior College in Beverly, Massachusetts, and studied art at the Kansas City Art Institute.

Sweet began began illustrating children's books in 1986 and h
More about Melissa Sweet...
Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade Carmine: A Little More Red Fiddle-I-Fee: A Farmyard Song for the Very Young On Christmas Day in the Morning: A Traditional Carol Dirty Laundry Pile: Poems in Different Voices