Start by marking “Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater” as Want to Read:
Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater

Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"Create unique fashion styles using old sweaters!"

Here's a book for anyone interested in designing a wardrobe that expresses individuality in fun and creative ways.

Second-Time Cool shows how easy it can be to recycle knitted sweaters and strike a dazzling look. Simply grab an old wool sweater, wash in the hot cycle, pick up the scissors, and follow the instructions outline
Published September 1st 2005 by Annick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Second-Time Cool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second-Time Cool

Lotus
I thought this book was superb, very easy to do projects and I loved the detailed info on different stitches, knitting, how to make fringe etc.,

Lots of the projects I would wear myself but even the stuff I wouldn't I oftentimes found gave me many ideas of my own, or ways I could change the project into something more suitable.

I also loved that this was based on old sweaters, I mean, they are one of the cheapest items to buy second hand and easy to find loads of patterns & colours.

The first d
Lise Petrauskas
This book was really inspiring. I got it out from the library about three or four times. It has a very non-American aesthetic, which I like. It's not too fancy and cleaned up. I've made the slippers several times and one pair I wear daily. I've made two hats based on ideas from the book, and gloves, which I love, both for myself and as presents. I made leg warmers...It's shelved as a kid's book, but it is quite rich in interesting photographs of one-off projects. I don't get the frustration that ...more
Cyndi
The styles represented are clearly not for me, but I still found it rather inspirational.
Knitology
For anyone interested in designing a wardrobe that expresses individuality in fun and creative ways Simply grab an old wool sweater, wash in the hot cycle, pick up the scissors, and follow the instructions outlined in this book. Ideas include appliqués, slippers, vests, wrist and leg warmers, stylish tops, bags and purses, and much more. The book helps readers think creatively about what can become what: a sleeve can become a mitten, the center of a sweater a skirt, and a turtleneck a hat.
Trena
Nov 10, 2008 Trena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Craftsters
This punky cool book about sweater reconstruction has a fair number of projects with detailed enough instructions. Some of the projects are too awesome for someone of my advanced age, but the information was useful and there are lots of pictures to inspire. I would flip through this one (or check it out from the library) before committing to buy, because it's something you read once or twice and then move on, not a reference to keep on your shelf.
Juneau Public Library
This book is full of inspiring ideas about how you can re-use your old sweaters and turn them into new clothing and accessories. Make mittens, scarves, slippers, bags and more from the raw materials you already have in your closet. Includes an overview of how to re-purpose sweaters, basic instructions, and lots of pictures and ideas for how to embellish your re-purposed woolies.

Recommended by Cheryl
Autumn
This book is long on inspiration and short on practical advice. The things they do try to explain (crochet)are covered way too briefly to do any good. However, it is an authentic look at Scandinavian thrift store couture.

Snorkle
Initial thoughts after reading (found in a notebook): Pretty, some of the things I would never wear, but I definitely would look it over because often times bad books are nearly as good as good books.
Dee
The art of chopping up a sweater. Again, very cool ideas for recycling old sweaters. I've already got a couple projects in the works.
Kimberly
Not enough detail for me to figure this out on my own, or be able to just...do the crafts, I guess. It seemed very complicated.
Sara Jones
Pretty neat but requires WAY more ambition than I gotz!!
Katherine
Very inspiring. Not as much how-to detail as I would like.
K'Lyn
K'Lyn marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
natalie
natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Mel Micare
Mel Micare marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Kim
Kim added it
Apr 13, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 31, 2013
Jan
Jan added it
Jan 15, 2013
Sassy
Sassy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Wondra Vanian
Wondra Vanian marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Anna-Stina Linden-Ivarsson was born in June 1951 in Sweden and is a freelance fashion journalist.

Anna-Stina studied art, craft, and design at the Nyckelviksskolan school in Stockholm. In the true tradition of Nordic design education, the school promoted artistic development with a focus on materials and techniques. With the experience and knowledge she gained from Nyckelviksskolan, she embarked on
More about Anna-Stina Linden Ivarsson...