Start by marking “Memory and Emotion: The Making of Lasting Memories” as Want to Read:
Memory and Emotion: The Making of Lasting Memories

Memory and Emotion: The Making of Lasting Memories

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Most of us remember where we were and what we were doing on September 11, 2001. Why do most experiences leave little trace while some--even terrible ordeals that people wish they could forget--leave memories that last a lifetime? That is the mystery at the heart of this book.

Drawing on fascinating research and case studies, James McGaugh, a distinguished neuroscientist, re
Published July 16th 2003 by Columbia University Press (first published June 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Memory and Emotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory and Emotion

Chris Herdt
Another discounted book from the corner store. Written by McGaugh with a quote from Sapolsky on the cover and a quote from LeDoux on the back? It's practically required that I read this.
***
It's a very interesting book. It is intended for the layman, but there are sections where McGaugh goes on at length about different neurotransmitters (catecholamine, GABA, etc.) that can be a little intimidating. The list isn't there because you need to understand the details, though--it's there because you ne
Kyle
After taking a class on Neuropsychology, I was recommended this book by my professor and in the end this book served as some excellent supplementary material that I could use to add onto my knowledge of the subject as well as learning some more in-depth knowledge (although not that much).

This book is an easy read and excellent for someone who has the basic knowledge of the biology of memory. There are some instances where vocabulary and the understanding of charts and diagrams might become an i
Abailart
Not a dazzling easy read but one that respects the reader and proceeds in a meticulous way while expecting the reader to be able to concentrate. Good science writing but not of the sort that fires you up and entertainds.
Elizabeth Moffat
Interesting book about the making and consolidation of memories and how emotion and traumatic events can shape the way we store memories. The fact about the medieval way for retaining memory is fascinating!
Deb
Deb added it
Dec 19, 2014
Jose Palafox
Jose Palafox is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Dmitry
Dmitry marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Joslyn
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Mico Philip
Mico Philip marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2012
Verushka
Verushka is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2012
Krystle
Krystle is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2012
melody
melody added it
Apr 19, 2009
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2008
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2008
Psychobiology. The biological basis of behavior Aging--Biology and Behavior Learning and memory Brain Organization and Memory: Cells, Systems, and Circuits Plasticity Central Nervous System