Start by marking “Our Day Out (Heinemann Plays)” as Want to Read:
Our Day Out (Heinemann Plays)

Our Day Out (Heinemann Plays)

The Heinemann Plays series offers contemporary drama and classic plays in durable classroom editions. Many have large casts and an equal mix of boy and girl parts. The television play Our Day Out asks what can a group of back-street kids from Liverpool expect from life beyond a rare day out?
Hardcover
Published September 3rd 1993 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Our Day Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Day Out

K. Carters
Mar 18, 2014 K. Carters rated it it was ok
I had to get through this for my KS3 teaching -I have a big pile of plays to read for next term and so I'm going to be posting a lot of them currently! I read this in one go and it was enjoyable. I liked the "nothing changes" finale and I can think of some methods of teaching it next term already...

However, in my mind it's up against "Face" and "Ostrich Boys" and so it's up against tough competition. I found it quite dated too. The notion of their being no factories to work in when you finish sc
Rachel
I was introduced to this book through observing a KS3 lesson on the play version. I ordered a copy of the play with the drama notes in the back only to realise when it arrived that it was the musical version. They seem very different. Apart from the obvious fact that one contains songs, character names have been changed and the dialogue is more modern. Not completely up to date - a reference to "nokias" and "vodafones" would probably be amended now to "samsungs" and "iphones" but it wasn't too b ...more
Fiona
Jul 03, 2016 Fiona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember studying this for GCSE English Lit. I must admit I wasn't that keen on the story of a secondary schools trip to the coast. It was dated in the late 80s but the characters (children from an underwhelming background) struck a chord with a class of teenagers in a Sheffield still in shock from the loss of jobs in both the steel and coal industry.

Having said that most of the lads just wanted to play the part of the shop keeper so they could say the immortal line "Thieving b&$%*ds", wh
Gail Thompson
Feb 23, 2015 Gail Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Very entertaining. I laughed a lot. Working in education made this even funnier. It is very dated and there is no way we cold do any of this nowadays, but as I was at school through the 80's this was nice and retro for me. The play is very 70's but I was able to relate. I recommend it to people for a good laugh.
esterb
Nov 22, 2015 esterb added it
Shelves: read-2007
Willy Russell has written a play with subtle humor and good insight in the human manners and interactions. I’m not a big fan of players bursting into song in the middle of a conversation, but apart from that, the play is worth a read. ...more
Bethany Mcgregor
Jan 06, 2015 Bethany Mcgregor rated it did not like it
I must say I didn't enjoy it at all. I studied this in my English class and I thought it was a waste of time! Very disappointed due to my love for plays and I had very high expectations for the book AND MOVIE! Both just as bad as each other.
Pippa
Sep 14, 2015 Pippa rated it liked it
Shelves: scripts
Interesting format, punctuated with songs. Original, and fun. Maybe I should rate it higher... but something about it seems a bit unrealistic. Having experienced burglary I can't take such a light-hearted view of the kids' stealing!
Jan 24, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Read this with my Entry Level students. It's a a good story that has a social commentary on the education system that's still incredibly relevant today, considering it was written in the 1970s. My kids are English language learners, and although the slang was tough for them, they really enjoyed the bad behavior of the students. Win win!
Faatimah
Feb 04, 2014 Faatimah rated it really liked it
This book was really touching and I could relate to a lot of problems that reflected in the book. I enjoyed it and it was well written.
James
Mar 07, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Humorous and heartbreaking, surprisingly good literature from a strange topic.
Russio
Dec 07, 2011 Russio rated it really liked it
Teleplay with interest about a school trip from 1970s Liverpool to a Welsh castle. Taking a group of children from socially deprived backgrounds, Mrs Kay, the liberal leftie and Mr Briggs, the traditional hardliner, clash over their views of education in a way that leaves little room to question what Russell's personal views are. Being a leftie, I like this very much!
Roxanne
Jan 23, 2009 Roxanne rated it liked it
Another book we read in class and i got to read Mrs Kay's parts out lol, i usually hate plays but this one was alright it has some funny moments in it and a few weeks later i saw the movie of this play and it just wasnt as good, the person that played Mrs Kay just wasnt as good as an actress as me lol!! :PP
Bethany
Nov 26, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
Read this in third year English class, i was the driver. Thought that the school trip was realistic. The characters were good too as everyone in the main roles had parts of them in the characters they were playing.
Anna
Nov 11, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
Never seen this performed although I have watched the bbc dramatisation of it. A fun read, great for use in class, however it is dated so it needs to be prefaced for a modern teen audience.
Kirsty
Mar 01, 2009 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
I read this with my drama class in high school. I remember enjoying it and thinking it was well written.
Susan Goodsell Goodsell
Feb 17, 2012 Susan Goodsell Goodsell rated it really liked it
My pupils love studying this title and there is so much you can do with it to stimulate discussion and drama.
Danielle Green
May 29, 2013 Danielle Green rated it really liked it
I remember doing this play in high school, the story is well told and easy to follow at all times
Thurga Devi
Jan 06, 2013 Thurga Devi rated it it was amazing
quite good n inspiring..
Taysseer
Aug 29, 2012 Taysseer rated it did not like it
Shelves: plays
Meh. I wasn't impressed.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Poppy
Poppy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Helen Whittle
Helen Whittle is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Tim Walker
Tim Walker rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Faze Joy
Faze Joy rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
  • Blue Moon
  • Saved
  • The Cone Gatherers
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • The Tulip Touch
  • Double-Cross (Medusa Project, #5)
  • Zelah Green (Zelah Green #1)
  • My Mother Said I Never Should
  • Charley's Aunt: A Play in Three Acts
  • Heard it in the Playground
  • The New Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250–1950
  • Restful Sleep: The Complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Insomnia
  • Daz 4 Zoe
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • The Bailey Game
  • Night and Day
  • Gasping
  • The Quare Fellow
William Russell is a British dramatist, lyricist, and composer. His best-known works are Educating Rita, Shirley Valentine, and Blood Brothers.

Willy Russell was born in Whiston, on the outskirts of Liverpool, where he grew up. His parents worked in a book publisher's and often encouraged him to read. After leaving school with one O-level in English, he first became a ladies' hairdresser and ran hi
More about Willy Russell...