Start by marking “The Love Comes Softly: Love's Abiding Joy/Love's Long Journey/Love's Enduring Promise/Love Comes Softly (Book 1-4)” as Want to Read:

She ventured west with the man she loved, but in one day her whole world had crumbled around her...

Nineteen-year-old Marty Claridge starts west with her adventurous, boyish husband, Clem, seeking to claim land and hoping for good fortune. But when the venture turns suddenly to tragedy, Marty is left alone with her great loss. And coupled with her grief and heartache is th

Published June 1st 1994 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Love Comes Softly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Comes Softly

Lyn
Jun 01, 2009 Lyn rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Don't get totally hung up on the predictable plot lines. There's real value woven throughout. Many books lack substance behind romance. This series outshines them in this regard.

I found this series to be endearing and sweet. I count these books among my treasures, which is probably due to the long hours I spent reading this series with my mother.

It wasn't ground-breaking, but it was good for my silly, little jr. high heart to observe examples of REAL love. The point of the first book is that lo
Orpha Hernandez
Feb 26, 2009 Orpha Hernandez rated it it was amazing
I love Janette Oke books. They take me into a time when living life was much simpler. It wasn't an easy living but people where happier and nicer to each other. If you like the old west these are the books for you. There movies that have been made of these books and are a beautiful series for the entire family without having to worry about bad language or spicy scenes. Wonderful reading!!
Melanie
Aug 06, 2007 Melanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any Christian fiction lady readers
These books are great and I seem to love all the books written by this particular author. The Lord uses her writings to teach/convict me on different things. It's been neat and it is wonderful to be whisked away to a simpler time on many occasions.
Brittney Young
Mar 08, 2008 Brittney Young rated it it was amazing
These books, haha, my dad makes fun of, but they are sooo good that I don't know why he would...they really portray how things should be!
Anna
Aug 15, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
The only thing I don't like about these books is the painful dialect.

I like the way she expresses the hardships and joys of pioneer women. The movies add a lot that isn't really there.
Clareece
Jun 18, 2013 Clareece rated it it was amazing
Shelves: janette-oke
AWESOME! I'm on Book 7 of the 8 book series, as of today June 18. It is so romantic and Christian; it's hard nowadays to find a romance that is clean.
Shelby
Apr 15, 2011 Shelby rated it liked it
I am not typically a romance reader, however, I did enjoy this series. The movies are very good too and rated G.
Daniela
Aug 28, 2008 Daniela rated it it was amazing
These books are about a woman whose husband dies and is forced to marry a stranger in order to live and get back home.
Sep 09, 2008 Laura is currently reading it
I saw the first Hallmark movie and began the series. The first two stories are quite nice, though the writing isn't amazing.
JaNae
Mar 09, 2008 JaNae rated it it was amazing
Fun, easy books that grab you from the start. And the best part is you know exactly which book you're going to read next because it's a 8 book series and you have to see what happens!
Katherine
May 16, 2008 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a very clean, though at times slow-moving, series of books. I enjoyed following the Christian family through their various struggles. It made me view my own faith differently.
Darcy
Jun 12, 2013 Darcy rated it liked it
Read this series when I was a teen and loved them. Simple plot lines, kinda predictable, but nice comfort reading.
Tarynn
Mar 05, 2009 Tarynn rated it really liked it
Fun, easy reading and always a happy ending. I watched the movies too which change the storyline quite a bit. The books are much better!
Autumn
May 28, 2008 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
This whole series is great. I love Janette Oke, she is a great Christian novelist. I like all her books I've ever read. And I loved the first two movies. The rest of the movies were okay.
Lacey
Feb 05, 2008 Lacey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this whole series. Although it was a bit predictable at times, I liked being taken back to a simpler time, a simpler life--where survival took a lot more work than it does today!
L.L. Diamond
L.L. Diamond rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Cheryseis
Cheryseis rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
VAReckman
VAReckman rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2007
Sierra Walter
Sierra Walter rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Linette Lester
Linette Lester rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Nakita
Nakita rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2009
Venture
Venture rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
Debbie Stahmann
Debbie Stahmann rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Kimberly Fackrell
Kimberly Fackrell rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
  • Partners
  • Kaydie (Montana Skies #2)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Secret Place of Thunder/In the Twilight, In the Evening/Island of the Innocent/Driven with the Wind (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5-8)
  • The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1-3)
  • Dakota: Four Inspirational Love Stories in America's Final Frontier (Inspirational Romance Collections)
  • The Long Road Home / A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #3-4)
  • New Faces, New Friends (Grandma's Attic #9)
  • New Mexico Sunrise: Faith and Love Hold Generations Together in Four Complete Novels
  • The Gunsmith's Gallantry (The Ladies' Shooting Club, #2)
  • One Winter's Day
  • Oregon Brides
  • Valentine's Day from the Black Lagoon
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...