Start by marking “Two to the Fifth (Xanth, #32)” as Want to Read:
Two to the Fifth (Xanth, #32)
Preview

Two to the Fifth (Xanth #32)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  935 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The future of Xanth is in frightful peril. A powerful magical bird named Ragna Roc has embarked on a campaign to become absolute ruler of that mystical realm. Those who swear loyalty to him are spared. The rest are simply disappeared.

So powerful are Ragna’s sorceries that even the Good Magician Humfrey dares not confront him directly. Instead he enlists Cyrus the Cyborg, a
Published October 14th 2008 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Two to the Fifth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two to the Fifth

Kaylynn Johnsen
I didn't actually finish this book. I am pretty sure I won't read anymore of this series.
1. The puns have gotten out of control, they get in the way of the story. They frustrate, rather than amuse, the reader.
2. The preoccupation with sex. The portrayal of all young women as nymphomaniacs seems pedophilic.
I want to say that this is not how this series started. Although I was a teen when I started this series I was a mature reader. The puns were scattered, fun and surprisingly creative. Over the
Hockey
Oct 20, 2008 Hockey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: other Xanth fans
Another fun frolick through Xanth, but one that will only be appreciated by true fans.

As has happened with so many of the more recent titles, the plot is fairly thin and the number of characters required to work through Anthony's PUNishment is almost distracting.

It should be noted that the "Adult Conspiracy" takes quite a hit in this novel. Unlike the rest of the Xanth 'trilogy'I wouldn't recommend it for younger teens. Lots of highly suggestive circumstances, outright seduction scenes and more
Chris
Didn't finish. Piers has slipped a long ways from the glory days of Xanth. I might go back and re-read some of those I really liked. This one chased me off within a few chapters. Too contrived. Too much innuendo. To much sexual bravado.
Dave
One of the most uncomfortable books I've read. As other readers note - the puns were a little out of control. It made it difficult to actually read the book. But, worse than that was the sexuality inherent in the plot. At its best it was immature. However when it took a turn to the pedophelic I think it crossed a line.

It's not so much that it was a bad book. Just that any one of these things (overuse of puns, pedophilia, immature sexual references) can make for a difficult read, and the three t
Leeanna
Xanth #32: Two to the Fifth, by Piers Anthony

I've been reading a lot of Xanth novels lately, and "Two to the Fifth" is the only one I've really enjoyed after reading a few other lackluster installments in the fantasy series.

I do have one big complaint about this book, and that is Anthony violates his own "Adult Conspiracy" and has a 12 year old girl (Princess Rhythm) have a relationship with an adult male. The relationship isn't a little thing either; it's thrown in the reader's face quite ofte
Karina
Bryan
Nov 12, 2009 Bryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Xanth fans (no younger readers)
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Shortened to about 140 pages, this would have been a wonderful book.

Typical Xanth: a childishly innocent view of sex... but with an adult's level of fixation on sex.

Where this book went wrong: way too much preoccupation with sex, including pedophilia. I don't need to read about "stork summoning" a couple times each chapter. And I get tired of reading about "freaking out" over panties every 5-6 pages. Take out all this garbage and the book would have been stronger, faster, and I'd have rated it h
Natalie
Starting to get a little disconcerted about the whole, condoning underage sex that seems to be appearing in these books, the previous book had a girl falling for an older guy, and then she was magically aged so they could be together, and this one has a 12 year old girl using a spell to age herself 10 years for 1 hour a day, so she can be with an older guy, no likey!!
Suzanne
Piers Anthony said outright early in the series that the age of sexual consent should start when sexual desire starts, or in other words, if kids want to have sex, they should be able to. He chooses this book to explicitly describe it, pairing a young girl with an adult man. And as if it wasn't pervy enough, he makes the girl the aggressor in the relationship, forcing the adult man to have sex with her.

Anthony has a noticeable perv streak in all his novels, but this one goes too far. There are a
Book number 32 in the neverending Xanth series. These have always been quick light reads for when I want to giggle without having to think. While I liked this story, I did not enjoy it as much as other Xanth books in the past. Many of the characters annoyed the heck out of me while you didn't see enough of others to really care about them. There were also several errors in the book, which I can usually overlook - but some of these were pretty annoying. In one place you had a character who's tale ...more
Shonda
The book plods slowly, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooooooooowly in getting to the end. Amen. I love Piers Anthony and god knows that his formula for Xanth books hasn't changed, and the poor guy has had a major tragedy in his life. I am impressed how Anthony has pressed on to continue writing books. However, I'm tired of his obsession with boobs. I'm tired of the journey picking up more and more characters who add little to the overall quality of the story. I'm tired of Anthony skirting the ...more
Erin
Aug 14, 2011 Erin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: xanth
If you have never read any of the Xanth series, start with 1-10 of the books. The books get worse and worse as the series progresses. This is Book number 32 in the neverending Xanth series. I started reading the Xanth series because I loved the way he dealt with puns. The books was a little too full of puns. They were everywhere to the point of being extrememly annoying. Another problem with this book was the fixation on the fact that every woman just wants to sleep with a sexy guy. Huh? There w ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
The end battle in this book was interesting. Unfortunately the rest is filled with a lot if completely unnecessary pedopilia that really kills it.
Vicki G
Do people even pay attention to what they read, or am I the only one who noticed that they never had "stork summoning" relations when she was a child? She was always 22.
Even when she was in an adult body, Andromeda's, she said she had to invoke the decade spell first, that the Adult Conspiracy kicked her out of Andromeda's body when she didn't invoke the aging spell.
I don't know if it's me or not. On my job, you have to read everything and get all the details right Bypassing details can create d
Cheryl
In the 32nd Xanth book, we find the series growing up--less rollicking and less full steam ahead. Themes also seem to be maturing. In this book we deal with the Adult Conspiracy and all it entails. What can you do with an underage sorceress who is a bit too curious about the Adult Conspiracy? What defines an adult? Overall a likable addition to the series.
James Howald
Good read. I thought this had a more serious underpinning then the last few books in the series. Had themes on underage sex and pregnancy, mixed race relationships, and conversion pushiness (ideology including religion and gov't). As always, Xanth is a fun world to visit for a short time.
Ivy
I have been reading Xanth books for years and have liked most of them. This one was no exception. I enjoyed the puns and the adventure but I don't think that I would let a minor child read this book. The subject matter is a little bit much for young readers.
Mia Darien
It was another classic Xanth romp. The stuff with Rhythm got a little squiffy for me at points, but then, Xanth (and Mr. Anthony) have always played with those thin lines, so ultimately, it rates the same for me.
Lydia
This book was a fun, quick read. I usually save the new Xanth books till the holidays for comic relief. This was an entertaining addition to the Xanth series, and it was my first adult read after my daughter was born.
Theresa
An enchanted Roc is trying to take over Xanth, the heroes are the triplet sorceress and a group of wandering actors. Love and tragedy of the play, mixed with forbidden love of the characters.
David Caldwell
The 32nd Xanth book.Silly, quick read like most of the others in this series. If you have read the first 31, you might as well read this one too.

I need to reread this one.
Kevin Lin
Typical Piers Anthony book. Fantasy, maidens and puns. Not one of his best works but if you like Piers Anthony and the world of Xanth, this book fills that niche.
Kate Schindler
The newest Xanth book. I thought it was a little low on coherent plot and a little high on the Adult Conspiracy and ellipses. Definitely not my favorite.
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. The naughty triplet princesses are in this quest, and they truly stir up trouble- of the adult conspiracy variety.
Margotd
Piers Anthony's id is showing. This is not a good thing. (One day I will learn to stop reading the Xanth books. But I so enjoy mocking them...)
Jami Leigh
A wonderfun example of the wacky world of Xanth. Sure, it's cotton candy for the mind, but it always satisfies the desire for a light, fun read.
Kirsti
I enjoyed this one although parts of it are a little disturbing. Longer review to come when I have access to a computer.
Still five stars though
Michelle
Like all of the Xanth books, the characters are memorable, the plot is unique, and the puns are to die for. :)
Stephanie Perez
It didnt captivate like some Xanth books. It was alright although a little akward due to the pedophilic undertones.
Nathan Johnson
Complete garbage.

It describes the many ways an adult man can have magical sex with a 12 year old girl.
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • The Book of Night with Moon (Cats of Grand Central, #1)
  • Vampires Don't Sparkle!
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • The World of Shannara
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Fatal Revenant (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)