Start by marking “The Ringer” as Want to Read:
The Ringer

The Ringer

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Renowned humorist Bill Scheft stretches comedic singles into stand-up triples through the oddest of couples in this hilarious debut novel.

Morton Martin Spell, a once-brilliant, now-infirm seventy-five-year-old writer, has begun to slide into a state of delirium. He thinks Mount Sinai Hospital is an exclusive golf course and his catheter is a gym bag. His only link to reali
Published July 2nd 2002 by Harper (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Ringer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ringer

Vusmiles99
Apr 23, 2008 Vusmiles99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vusmiles99 by: Rich Bleakley
Fast read, will have you laugh out loud, great for the commute to work. Its almost like two books in one. The first half follows the main charater as he basically just floats through life carelessly and then when everything suddenly changes he is forced to finally grow up.
Rachel
The cover blurb from The New York Times Book Review reads, "the jokes are plentiful and very high in quality," which strikes me as a particularly straight-faced way to say something is funny. Having read 84 pages of The Ringer, I can see where the NYT is coming from. The book, or at least the 84 pages of it that I read, is full of clever turns of phrase and smart asides, but they're the kind of thing that make you nod and say, "oh. Yes, I see," rather than actually laugh. Scheft's narrative styl ...more
Amanda Cohen
Perfect. Smart, funny, at the same time the characters are relatable and eccentric. Couldn't put it down.
Lexi
This is the second of Bill Scheft's books I've read, and I am definitely looking forward to reading more. Even when it wasn't clear where the book was going, it sucked me in and I didn't want to put it down.
christina givens
I found it a little slow to read. The story was interesting but it left me wondering if there shouldn't have been more to the ending. Well worth the read though.
Rebekkila
Nov 22, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Brian
Wierd and hilarious. A story about a guy that rents himself out to local softball teams - he's the ringer. But that's only the backstory.
Jonann
Jonann is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
May 16, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jedrek Kostecki
Jedrek Kostecki marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Jason Gemmill
Jason Gemmill marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Quentin
Quentin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Everything Hurts Time Won't Let Me Shrink Thyself: A Novel The Best of The Show: A Classic Collection of Wit and Wisdom Everything Hurts: A Novel